PDA

View Full Version : The product of lightning bolt, Pentosan or weekly lesson w/Hilda Gerny-Robert Dover?

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Super duper Cow Pony (APHAwesomeness) has been a super duper dressage and jumping pony as if late...

could be this:
Last year, he asked that for his next clip I give him either a L-bolt or a Nike sign.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/lightningbolt.jpg

or this:
(finished 4 doses every 7 days and went to 2 doses every 14 days, just now starting maintenance)
http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-4547-pentaussie-equine.aspx

or my weekly RFDTV lessons with:
*Robert Dover
*Jessica Ransehousen
*Hilda Gurney
*Michael Poulin

Cow Pony has been unbelievable. I'd like to say that it's because I'm such an awesome rider now that I've caught the last 3 months of Dressage Symposiums but I'm willing to bet it's the PentAussie.

Therefore, I give a HUGE shout out for Pentosan.
He was on Legend and Previcox. We took him off those and now he only gets Pentosan.

Also, he's bulked up big time just in the last two months.
We now call him Beef Cake. :lol:
I'm having to use my 38cm saddle too and I just recently had to stop using my home made gusset with the dressage saddle.
He's an 11 year old so it's not like he's just now "filling out" due to age.
~and it's not feed related because we don't feed him.
(Just alfalfa hay and a multi vitamin)

weird

Maybe it's the lightning bolt. Must be...the power of Zeus.

Heliodoro
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
That's awesome! He is such a cutey, though I still love my horse for having minimal white to keep clean.

I just started my guy on Adequan in the fall and he's doing soo much better, I feel slightly guilty I didn't have the $$ before(stupid college...)! So is Pentosan legal in the US now? It's certainly cheaper than Adequan!! And what regimine do you have the Tobe-ster on for maintenance?

Duckz
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
Pentosan is great! Glad you're seeing results! I bet at least half of it is from the lighting bolt though ;)

ExtravagentEventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Love Pentosan! Switched my guy from Adequan to Pentosan in the fall. And noticed a big difference!

Cute horse!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
ooooh, Flecky's starting on pentosan soon! But perhaps he'll get a sneaky bolt thrown in somewhere too!!

Yay for Tobester!!!

pegasusmom
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Pentosan!!!!! Have every horse in our barn on it. Just started Thunder the Wonder Pony on it again (my vet recommends taking breaks from time to time) in prep for our spring driving season and had the most fabulous breakthrough dressage lesson yesterday with him. Seems to take mine about 21-23 days into the initial loading dose and then WHAM. New horse.

vineyridge
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Pentosan is at a 35% discount this month.
http://pentosan.com/

Laurierace
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
This is where I get it from. Those prices are steep even with the discount.
http://www.abbavetsupply.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=688

JP60
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
If I may ask a question, I read through the Pentosan page and looked at dosage. I have a @1200 lb horse (544Kg). According to the dosage

3mg/1Kg or .003/1kg = .003*544 = 1.6g of product. Now, is that 1.6g every 5-7 days for 4 injections? If so, a bottle costs $168 for 250mg or .25g. For my horse I need 1.6 grams which equates to 6.4 bottles at $168 - @ $1075 * 4 = :eek::eek::eek:

Now I'm a programmer, not a scientist so maybe I got something wrong here, but that is a poop load of money. Every 6 months?

Currently I have my mare get hock injections (@$400) and I do see benefit, but we repeat every 6 months. I'd love love love to find something that helps her 22yo joints and given the praise y'all have this seemed the ticket, but show me where my math is wrong.

If this was a one and done thing I could gulp through my budget. I try to do everything I can to keep my girl feeling comfortable (joint supps, long warmups, hock injections, etc) so I am open to perhaps other (re lower cost) options.

cleozowner
Jan. 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
If I may ask a question, I read through the Pentosan page and looked at dosage. I have a @1200 lb horse (544Kg). According to the dosage

3mg/1Kg or .003/1kg = .003*544 = 1.6g of product. Now, is that 1.6g every 5-7 days for 4 injections? If so, a bottle costs $168 for 250mg or .25g. For my horse I need 1.6 grams which equates to 6.4 bottles at $168 - @ $1075 * 4 = :eek::eek::eek:

Now I'm a programmer, not a scientist so maybe I got something wrong here, but that is a poop load of money. Every 6 months?

Currently I have my mare get hock injections (@$400) and I do see benefit, but we repeat every 6 months. I'd love love love to find something that helps her 22yo joints and given the praise y'all have this seemed the ticket, but show me where my math is wrong.

If this was a one and done thing I could gulp through my budget. I try to do everything I can to keep my girl feeling comfortable (joint supps, long warmups, hock injections, etc) so I am open to perhaps other (re lower cost) options.

It's $168 for 50 ml of 250mg/ml = 12500 mg of product. :)

ETA: JP60--I used to live in Clemson, and I knew Mercedes--do you use Poagie or Stafford? I'd LOVE to hear Stafford's opinion on this stuff.

JP60
Jan. 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
It's $168 for 50 ml of 250mg/ml = 12500 mg of product. :)

ETA: JP60--I used to live in Clemson, and I knew Mercedes--do you use Poagie or Stafford? I'd LOVE to hear Stafford's opinion on this stuff.

So you are still going to make me do the math :( Your as bad as my old math teacher:

12500mg = 12.5g
Horse needs 1.6g product per shot.
1.6g*4 shots = 6.4g

This means I get two rounds (12.5/6.4) of total (4 shots) injections from one bottle at $168? Now THAT I can handle.:)

I work with Keith for he's taken care of Mercedes since the beginning. I will ask him for if my new math is right, and this is good stuff, I will try this approach. Remind me how you knew my girl (or PM) Were you at SHF. I am curious. She is due for her injections so this thread is timely.

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
So is Pentosan legal in the US now? It's certainly cheaper than Adequan!! And what regimine do you have the Tobe-ster on for maintenance?

ehhh, I don't know what the deal is with Pentosan. Those theads are a train wreck of arguments over the issue and I never come out of them feeling like I have a handle on what's really going on.

All I know is that my vet will supply PentAussie (Pentosan with Glucosamine) so that is what I use.
I do get a nice discount on it though and pay between $55 and $65 dollars per dose.
Not as cheap as regular Pentosan but it is what it is. And the results are GREAT!

I did do a 4 dose loader for a month and then instead of going straight to once a month dosage I dished out 2 doses every 14 days.
Now I'll go to once a month.