View Full Version : Eventing Shoes

Jan. 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Has anyone ever shod their horses with "eventing shoes"? They might have another name I'm not aware of, but I've only ever seen them on one horse. Basically, there is a groove that goes along the center of almost the entire shoe, and it's purpose is to fill with dirt to create traction. Has anyone tried these shoes, and do they work as well as studs? Thanks :)

Jan. 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
There is an "eventing" shoe. We've used the St.Croix. I think it's a fairly common shoe but nothing like studs. I guess a lot depends on what level you are riding and what type of shoe you're thinking about.

Jan. 18, 2012, 12:38 AM
That is a creased shoe, with a flat ground surface with a crease from heel to heel. There is also a rim shoe which is creased all around but not flat beside the crease, ore of an edge.

st croix makes an Eventer and an Eventer Plus (thicker, wider web, less rolled toe) shoe. In my experience as a farrier and event rider, the crease or lack thereof makes minimal difference. No comparison to studs. I use Eventer Plus shoes on almost all my horses.


Jan. 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
Agree -- my horse has worn the Eventer and others and I've found no difference in traction. We choose the shoe that works best for support/shape/breakover.

Jan. 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Agree with TC and Wildlifer - I've used the eventer shoes, and I didn't notice a tangible difference in "grip" with just the shoe vs. any other shoe she's worn.

Jan. 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Yup, that's what all of mine wear except Keebler who is special and gets aluminum wedgies in front. ;)

Wide web and a full crease for better traction, plus clips to keep the shoes in place. And a big sturdy heel to tap for studs.

My farrier has another model of eventer shoe he wants to try on mine this spring when they get their summer footwear put back on. I forget the name but am always happy to let him try stuff on my horses since the all (again, other than Keebler) have pretty standard feet and are easy to shoe.

Jan. 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Jan. 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
I think the type of shoe your talking about is chosen more for how the break over is designed as opposed to the supposedly added traction.

Jan. 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know the name of the shoes one of mine goes in, but this is what my farrier uses in the winter instead of traditional 'winter shoes' w/borium which I prefer not to use.

Jan. 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
I live in western country and my farrier puts the Eventer Plus on all the English horses he shoes.

Jan. 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
My farrier just uses aluminum with clips or steel with clips if they are drilled and tapped.