PDA

View Full Version : The Eventing buying public... Who are you?

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
:winkgrin:

Yes! Who are you? Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?

What's your typical horse shopping trip? Local? Regional? National? Europe?

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. ;))

Any bloodlines you seek?

Go ahead, what's on your wishlist? :D

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Since I bought an event horse this year, I guess that makes me qualified to answer, but I have to point out that as a "horse buyer" I am someone who does so quite infrequently. This horse, in fact, is only the fourth horse I have ever BOUGHT. I have bred one, leased one, and borrowed others. :)

Who am I? An adult amateur with a full time job and a family and a farm to take care of--I don't have time to make big, elaborate shopping trips. Does this color my buying style? NO DOUBT! I do a lot of my "process of elimination" via ads on the internet, and rely quite a bit on the "word of mouth" method of shopping vis-a-vis friends that I trust giving me leads as well as telling me who to deal with and not deal with.

I will point out a big pet peeve, and that is ridiculous over-advertising of a horse's experience or abilities. A horse that has done BN three times is NOT an "upper level prospect". A horse that is schooling XC is not "suitable for Training level". Drives me flippin' nuts. Give me the horse's competition record, show me some good video of it handling serious Training or Prelim schooling questions perfectly, then we'll talk "experience". :lol:

I have bought OTTBs and packers and have bred one for myself. At this stage of my life I prefer something with experience, and specifically evidence of complete honesty and courage XC. EVERYTHING else, for me, is negotiable (other than soundness).

I wound up with three horses on my final list, and would have been happy with any of the three. It took me only about a month to find and complete the purchase on the one I eventually chose. I am old enough and realistic enough to grasp that no horse is perfect and they all require some sort of compromise, no matter how minor. The best horse I ever had also just fell in my lap, and I'mm of the firm belief that good horses just sort of HAPPEN if we let them. :)

I won't travel unless I am very, very interested in a specific horse or horses. Too busy. Not productive. No trips to Europe or NZ or big sport horse auctions for me. Except in my dreams. :lol:

I could not POSSIBLY care less about bloodlines, breed, size (to a point) or color. The horse I bought this year is spotted, of completely unknown breeding, and sort of little. :lol: He's exactly what I wanted. :D

What's on my wish list? Time to go to shows with the critters I have! :)

scubed
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
I bought 3 horses this year. I too, have a busy full time job. Despite being even older than DW, I still love starting the green ones, but am over dealing with babies, so I am looking for 4-8 year old geldings (I have an irrational anti-mare bias) that are good movers and have a good brain. I have a definite soft spot for the OTTB, and won't buy anything that doesn't seem at least part TB (has some obvious gallop in there). I too do 90% of my shopping on the internet as I am always looking at a low price point, but am willing to spend a bit more for something let down off the track with a few basics (everything I have bought in the past 12 years - approximately 30 horses has been in the $2000-$6500 price range).

I am interested in TB breeding and have a soft spot for Danzig and Damascus line horses, prefer smaller horses (15.2-16.1), and like bays, but in the end consider color irrelevant. I have most recently bought (since 2009, two OTTB, 2 Trakehner crosses, and an "Irish TB" of unknown breeding - we think TB with a touch of pony in there). I travel within the US, but have bought several horses (including the infamous Keeber) sight unseen beyond a picture or video.

What's on my wish list - the one I have now, who is handsome, brave and fun fun fun!!

Xanthoria
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Who are you?
An AA who works office hours and has the usual limited time off.

Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?
I can only afford prospects. Foals are too young to show me what they can do, but 2-4 years old is my pricerange.

Local and regional. I have looked nationally but found that most sellers cannot provide me with a video and good photos: my minimum requirements before I'll buy a plane ticket to see their horse. Whether this is lack of confidence in technology, or they just don't want to sell their horse, I have no idea.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries?
Yes. I want a 1/2 TB, 1/2 WB.
I do not want another OTTB due to the emotional and physical pounding they get at a young age.
I want the WB half to bring great feet, easy keeping and gaits to the equation. I want the TB half to bring the fire and galloping ability!

Any bloodlines you seek?
If it's unbacked, I only need to see it show jumping talent. I'm less likely to go see a dressage bred horse or one by parents who have done nothing of note in life, but any horse that can jump is one I'm interested in.

Go ahead, what's on your wishlist?
16.1-16.3
Gelding preferred, non-marish mare OK
Great feet! Straight legs! Totally sound! Easy keeper!
Smart and quick and kind. Loves to jump, and adores the trail.

Duckz
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
I'll play! My buying is 3-4 years from now but I'm in quasi-shopping mode.

Who am I? Young-ish (still under 30...barely) adult ammy, no kids, no hubby, good job. No aspirations for the big leagues. My current ride was born a packer and will top out at Training or Prelim. Coincidentally, that's probably where I'll top out as well.

What do I buy? I've only had two horses, an OTTB when I was a kid and the current horse, who was a fox hunter when I got him as a 7 yr old. Eventing is something we fell into when I realized it's what he does best.

Where am I shopping? Fairly local. I don't mind driving a few hours in either direction, but I'm not about to head off to the other coast or another country.

Breeds/registries? I want my next horse to be lighter than Lincoln, so I won't be looking at draft crosses again. Other than that I'm not too hung up on breeding. However...

Bloodlines? I have a crush on Salute the Truth. There. I said it.

Wishlish? I'm keeping my eye on the 2012 crop of Salute the Truth's babies. I'd love to get one that's north of 16.2 with a matter of fact demeanor. I'll also be browsing the CANTER horses, sporthorse nation, etc. Who knows what I'll end up with? Personality is going to be a big factor for me. It would be nice if the horse had the movement to crossover into the hunter ring just for shiggles.

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
I bought one this year too. I'm an adult with a full time job.

I shopped primarily OTTB's for a variety of reasons but did not exclude other possibilities if they fit my criteria. I did NOT want a warmblood or heavy horse. I heavily shopped CANTER MA because of the initial let-down and training provided.

I don't care about papers or bloodlines, I shop the horse in front of me.

I'm not interested in foals/youngsters and the time required. I'm also not interesting in spending $20,000 when I can spend $2500 and buy a heck of a lot of lessons with the other $17,500.

My shopping is regional as I have limited time and cash.

My wish list is standing in the pasture: great mind, enough athleticism to go at least Prelim and make it safe and fun, easy to condition, tall enough for my freaky legs but under 17 h (no monsters, please) and built to last. No greys (I don't want to groom that hard), no mares.

Lone
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
I don't have any plans to buy, but I'm really (really, really, really) hoping to land a decent job this May after I graduate and be in horse-shopping mode by this time next year!

Who are you?
At the moment, I'm a grad student working part time. This time next year I hope to be in a big-ish city (actually, I don't hope to be in a city, but I suspect that's where I'll be able to find a job) working full time.
I'd love do be able to get a horse who is already going and eventing, but unless I get ridiculously lucky with my job that's probably not going to happen. I suspect I'll be looking at younger prospects, and probably focusing on OTTBs

In the past I've done local/regional and will probably be doing the same. I'm pretty willing to do a one-day drive to go see a horse, might be willing to go a bit farther if I had really good photos and videos, but it always surprises me how hard it is to get those from sellers

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. )
Nope, not really. I definitely have a thing for TB's, but as long as the horse is built for the job I want to do and has the movement, athleticism, etc them I don't really care what breed it is.

Any bloodlines you seek?
I don't know very much about bloodlines, so short answer... no. But, if I were buying a younger horse (say 2-3) who had less experience under saddle then I'd do more investigating into their bloodlines to learn more about the potential they might have. Even with a slightly older horse I'd like to do some research on the bloodlines, but more for my own curiosity than as a deciding factor on whether to purchase or not. The only thing I am picky about is that I want a mare (I'm a 'mare-person'!) I also have dreams of breeding someday so if/when I find a mare I love you can count on me to put a post up on here to see what people more knowledgeable than me think about the bloodlines

My dream (aka will never happen) wishlist? A 10 year old mare with a sweet and playful personality who is a solid prelim horse with potential to go intermediate who can give me confidence and experience
My more realistic wishlist? A 2-4 year old OTTB mare with a sweet, silly, ammy-friendly personality who is fun to be around. My 'heart-mare' made me laugh all the time and I really miss that. My number one criteria is soundness, followed very closely by temperament and personality. Of course I also want a horse who is athletic, has nice movement for dressage and is bold over fences

ccr0009
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'll throw my little experience in here, from a completely different prospective.
Who am I?: I help/advise my family on chooosing quality mares/stallions to produce event horse babies!

What do we buy? We've fallen in love w/ Irish crosses. We started choosing connemara mares, but now have switched to large TB or ID/TB mares.

Typical Shopping Trip: we've had a few shipped from the west coast, and will travel up the East coast to look at some.

Breeds/Registries: I adore Irish horses. W/ some TB blood, they're light enough to make time and have stamina, but the ID gives them more bone and build and a great mind. Also, have a soft spot for connemaras, and the conn/tb make great small horses.

Bloodlines: On the TB side, we've had mares w/ Secretariat, and Bold Ruler lines. Connemaras: we've had fantastic luck w/ Grange Finn Sparrow (now deceased) whose out of Coosheen Finn. While on connemaras, really like to see how Dexter Leam Pondi babies may do in eventing. (He's produced consecutive upper-level jumper babies)

Wishlist:
definitly a 3/4 tb 1/4 ID gelding 16.1ish, if anyone has seen Dynamic Image I am in love with that horse, he won the 2** at NAYRC last year. He's built to perform and is a wonderfully built strong animal. It also helps he's dapple grey. I also had an ISH back as a junior who carried me around like a saint. (Was probably the reason my parents started breeding ISH's)

pheasantknoll
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
I would post, but EXACTLY what Wildlifer said, except the freakishly long legs part;)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
sure...I'll play.

Who are you?

Adult Ammy with a high pressure (ie long hours) career not involved with horses. Been riding and competing for more than 30 years. Comfortable bringing unbroke or fresh off the track horse up through Prelim. Will still swing a leg over an unknown horse even though I'm old enough that I don't have too. Love the green horses.

I've managed to not buy one yet in 2012...but have three mares due to foals. Two bred to be eventers and one dressage (watch that one will end up a 4* horses!).

2011 I bought 2 horses. A 3 year old purpose bred (mostly TB but grandpa is High Scope) and a 6 year old OTTB (chestnut mare)--no re-train since her last race. OTTB is probably a keeper---3 year old may possibly be for sale after I put some work into her. She will be a super ammy horse or YR eventer in a few years.

I typically buy projects....yearling - 6 year old. Prefer mares, prefer TBs but have expanded to some WB/TB crosses and now breeding my own. Will probably always have a couple of OTTBs.

Typically shopping trip is locally looking at my OTTB or youngsters ---but I live in a very horse dense and GOOD horse dense area....people come to my local area to horse shop. Never need to go far to find an interesting prospect. Usually takes me less than a month to find a prospect.

Sort of ....they need to have a lot of TB blood and there are certain lines in TBs that I prefer. The horse in front of me is most important but I can usually tell on paper if they will likely be my type or look I like. From a breeding perspective, I'm looking at several different breeds but trying to pick what would match best with my mares.

Bloodlines

In TB...love a lot of the lines, What a Pleasure, Grey Flight, Grey Dawn, Herbager, Turn-To, In Reality, The Axe, Princequillo , Hoist the Flag, Mill Reef, Sadler Wells, just to name a few.

Beyond that...I'm still learning.

Wishlist To see a baby I own/bred kick a$$ at Badminton. Otherwise...all my horses sound...and would love to have the young version of my first Prelim horse (OTTB)

Judysmom
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Ooh I'll play too!

Me: mid thirties (sigh) AA

What I buy: usually young TBs (2-4yrs) off the backside, I have bought one older TB one (he was 9 when he came OT). I actually like TBs, and I don't mind hunting for a good one. The one I bought last year, I must have looked at over 30 horses on and off track before I found him. What I look for is conformation and movement, movement within the confines of what I can see at the track. Recently I started to pay more attention to temperament, I FINALLY made the connection between "interested in people", rideability and train-ability. :lol:

I try to shop as locally as possible, I would go and have gone down to the mid-atlantic area before, however I wouldn't go much farther than that, and certainly wouldn't go to Europe.

Not interested in foals or yearlings, primarily because I board. I'm also not interested horses that are already restarted or started. (I guess that means I want prospects!)

Probably going to pick up another horse next year, and I will likely just go through my track connections again. I would look at a sport bred TB, depending on the horse.

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting such generosity! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such detailed replies!

The more I get old, I get incapable of dealing with some "issues" coming along with other disciplines... I was an eventing fan as a kid, then moved to jumpers, then to dressage... then I had a brief interest for hunters and now, well, I have two young kids and I can't... can't deal with anything that is not friendly, transparent and honest. My time is so precious, I want to spend it doing something I love without being bothered by anything silly.

I have, what I think is, a fantastic mare who seems to have what it takes to produce eventers.

But of course, before going all out and aiming at producing eventers, I am doing my research. :) I am not interested in producing lower level horses, there are plenty of those around and there's no point in competing against all the lovely OTTBs already out there. I want to offer the complete package.

I am expecting that I'll keep them until riding age, and so far, I have what could fit the bill for some of you down the road. :yes:

Now, I understand $ is an object and that eventing prospects or even green broke eventers won't sell for ginormous amounts of $ given the OTTB scene too. However, how are your shows? Are they insanely expensive like the hunter/jumper shows or are they a realistic options to take the youngsters out and about?

As well, how would you feel about an ex-foxhunter as an eventing prospect?

Dear Panelists, thank you in advance! :winkgrin:

CobJockey
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'll bite! I did everything backwards.

Who are you?
AA 8-5'er, early 20's, married, no kids.

My absolute dream horse ended up coming from a breeder I work very closely with. I know I got lucky in not having to do the big search.

Yes. It was love at first sight for me with the Welsh Cob breed, and I ended up with one that has enough talent to take me as far as I want to go in eventing - and stay sound and barely make an impression on my checkbook as far as groceries go!

14hh-14.1hh, gelding. Athletic and scopey, light and reactive - "not a kids pony". Lots of bone, big, strong, well-shaped feet and an easy keeper.

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
I'll play a little although I suspect I am way in the minority.
Older, ( now on the downhill side of 50) AA with a full time job ( and unpredictable overtime....) Have been riding for over 45 years now. Not as fearless as I used to be - prefer to ride only my own horses now

Haven't bought a riding horse in years - have instead bred, trained and ridden my homebreds - at least for the last 15 years or so. Last mare i bought was 4 or 5 years ago as an addition to my broodmare band

Dont really care which registry but would like proof of pedigree and ability to register foals - esp fillies so that I can follow my generations of breeding..

Bloodlines - original TB mare line base with dual purpose Warmblood - for the most part-stallions - not too heavy and lots of TB

Wishlist? For eventers to look at and buy purpose bred foals .....

Judysmom
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:41 PM
Equus, I think you'd be surprised at how nice the horses are at the lower levels, I know I was! I returned to eventing after a 12 yr hiatus in another discipline. My friend very generously lent me his pony to compete while my young horse was recouping from a bow, and I was very shocked at the quality of the horses I was competing against. Most were WB and very nice. Things have changed.

Price wise, a one day horse trial in my area (area 1) runs about $180 ish. 2 day events, if you stable are more. Overall the entry fees etc are much cheaper than horse shows. You can look up the fees in the omnibus. Also I find that people tend to be a little friendlier than in hunterland or dressageland.

Unrecognized horse trials are much cheaper, and very young horse friendly, and are very popular. They are usually pretty good quality too, unlike some of the hunter style schooling shows. Lots of options in eventingland :)

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Equus, I think you'd be surprised at how nice the horses are at the lower levels, I know I was! I returned to eventing after a 12 yr hiatus in another discipline. My friend very generously lent me his pony to compete while my young horse was recouping from a bow, and I was very shocked at the quality of the horses I was competing against. Most were WB and very nice. Things have changed.

Price wise, a one day horse trial in my area (area 1) runs about $180 ish. 2 day events, if you stable are more. Overall the entry fees etc are much cheaper than horse shows. You can look up the fees in the omnibus. Also I find that people tend to be a little friendlier than in hunterland or dressageland.

Unrecognized horse trials are much cheaper, and very young horse friendly, and are very popular. They are usually pretty good quality too, unlike some of the hunter style schooling shows. Lots of options in eventingland :)

Thank you!

Don't take me wrong, I don't mean to say lower level horses are not good horses. ;) I just don't think it's ethical to aim for anything but the highest level because chances are, it will very seldom work... I have to plan a generous margin for my "failures" to find a job with a good home! (And no offense to OTTBs! My broodmare is a TB... Black-type! ;))

It's great to know there are plenty of options. Love that I won't have to deal with the hunter braids... Gah! :lol:

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Wishlist? For eventers to look at and buy purpose bred foals .....

:yes:

While I am on this ethical train of thought... Would it be hyppocritical (I am sure I made a spelling mistake here...) to breed for the top, while I haven't shown at that level and don't plan too? My plan is to break my youngsters, and show them up the levels until they are sold, but I'm not Rolex contender. Or I'd love too, but I'll admit that I don't feel comfortable with that risk (see "two very very young kids").

That's also why I only want to break my own... The ones I have raised and know like the back of my hand.

Judysmom
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you!

Don't take me wrong, I don't mean to say lower level horses are not good horses. ;) I just don't think it's ethical to aim for anything but the highest level because chances are, it will very seldom work... I have to plan a generous margin for my "failures" to find a job with a good home! (And no offense to OTTBs! My broodmare is a TB... Black-type! ;))

It's great to know there are plenty of options. Love that I won't have to deal with the hunter braids... Gah! :lol:

No worries! I knew what you meant:)

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
No worries! I knew what you meant:)

Phew! :lol: Here I thought... "Well, that was a brillantly good start there EM." :lol:

JER
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
Who are you?

Adult who enjoys fumbling about with horses. Currently, I breed, do a bit of young horse training, ride a couple of ponies, and support my homebreds in their competition careers. As I want them to be successful and happy eventers, I step aside in favor of riders who can give them the partnership they deserve.

Egads. I'm guilty on all counts, although I don't seek out made horses. But if a good opportunity comes along and I like the horse/pony, I'll take it.

I prefer mares and, as I'm all of 110 lbs, I have an affinity for ponies and small horses. But right now, my 'prospect' is a 3YO 16.2+hh OTTB, who I got as a long 2YO.

I'm always on the lookout for a good mare with a good pedigree for breeding.

The US and Canada, although I'm not much of a shopper. I bought an OTTB from a track in Ohio last year as well as one from up here in BC. I still haven't seen the mare from Ohio in person.

I don't care at all about papers or registries or WB stuff. I like mostly-TBs and TBs for eventing. I like to ride a forward-thinking, forward-moving horse, and breed really doesn't matter.

Any bloodlines you seek?

I'm interested in bloodlines for breeding more than riding. I'd like a mare by Welton Crackerjack and also one by Rock King. Maybe a pony mare by Grange Finn Sparrow, too.

I'd like to breed some mares to Presenting (http://rathbarrystud.com/?page_id=79) or Robin des Champs (http://rathbarrystud.com/?page_id=82). I'd also like to get some frozen semen from Primitive Rising for my TB mare.

As well, how would you feel about an ex-foxhunter as an eventing prospect?

Right up my alley. I've done it before. The horse didn't care much for dressage but was fun over fences. He started eventing at 12 and was happy at Prelim at age 19 but had to be retired due to a skin issue.

Jumpingrules92
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Who are you?
An AA who works office hours and has the usual limited time off.

I can only afford prospects. Foals are too young to show me what they can do, but 2-4 years old is my pricerange.

Local and regional. I have looked nationally but found that most sellers cannot provide me with a video and good photos: my minimum requirements before I'll buy a plane ticket to see their horse. Whether this is lack of confidence in technology, or they just don't want to sell their horse, I have no idea.

Yes. I want a 1/2 TB, 1/2 WB.
I do not want another OTTB due to the emotional and physical pounding they get at a young age.
I want the WB half to bring great feet, easy keeping and gaits to the equation. I want the TB half to bring the fire and galloping ability!

Any bloodlines you seek?
If it's unbacked, I only need to see it show jumping talent. I'm less likely to go see a dressage bred horse or one by parents who have done nothing of note in life, but any horse that can jump is one I'm interested in.

16.1-16.3
Gelding preferred, non-marish mare OK
Great feet! Straight legs! Totally sound! Easy keeper!
Smart and quick and kind. Loves to jump, and adores the trail.

Sooo you want to buy my mare? She sounds like she fits your checklist down to a T! :)

HUSGal
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:37 AM
I second (or third!) what wildlifer said, only I LOVE greys (although then you end up paying for color). I feel ya on the freakishly long legs though...

wildlifer
Jan. 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
RE: our shows -- for mileage, I strongly believe schooling horse trials are the way to go. Not only do you support them and keep them going, woohoo, but they are more relaxed and more affordable while still providing a quality experience (at least ours do).

Recognized horse trials are pretty pricey, unless you live somewhere where you can trailer in and be done in one day. For me, most are two days and with stabling, lodging, diesel, entry, fees, and food, a weekend can easily climb upwards of $500-700, which is murderous on my pathetic salary.

PS - I do love a grey with black points to look at, I just don't want to be the one cleaning it, LOL!

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
This sounds pretty exciting. :)

My my my! Hey, and thank you so much again for all your help! I can't wait to join the ranks officially... AKA when my 7 month-old son will let me ride... ;)

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Who are you?

Under 30 AA with a flexible job that goes me lots of barn time, but I do have to travel frequently.

I have NO patience what so ever as far as foals go, but I'm not afraid to buy unbroke ( I have a fabulous trainer that starts for me, as I have some fear issues). The last 2 have been unbroke 4 year olds that were definitely cheap misfits.

Regional. Preferably local after the bill to get the last one here from 4 hours away! I might change my tune on this if I was shopping in a higher price range, or had my own rig.

Nope. I do tend to go for strange mixes though, and I like a good OTTB.

Any bloodlines you seek?

Not especially, but I do pay attention to them when they're known.

Sound, sane, low maintnance. Needs to have self-preservation as a jumper, I tend to prefer them a little on the lazy side. Doesn't currently need the ability to go higher then Training. I like ponies and short horses (13 - 15h range).

Janet
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
My reply
:winkgrin:

Yes! Who are you?
Closing in on 60. Work full time at a desk job. Keep my horses at home

Mostly I buy prospects. I LIKE the initial training. Youngest was a weanling. Oldest was 10, but untrained. Belle was 5, and w-t-c small jumps when I got her, but the others were unbacked.

I rarely go on a "shopping trip". Usually a prospect "shows up" before I even start seriously looking.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. ;))

I like at least 50% TB. But more importantly, I like to see jumpers or eventers in the pedigree.

Spy's dam is by Babu Dancer, JJ Babu's sire.
Chief is by Illian de Taute, S.F. Grand Prix jumper, and his dam sire was an R.I.D. Jumper.
Belle's grandsire is *Grange Finn Sparrow, a pony who successfully competed in jumpers, against the horses, in both US and Ireland. And Belle's sire waa a pretty good pony jumper too.

Music is well bred on her TB side (Ribot) but not specifically jumpers or eventers.

I do have a slight preference for a horse that is registered with SOMETHING (even if it is AWS or AWR), because it gives you some assurance that the bloodlines ARE what is claimed.

Any bloodlines you seek?

See above.

Go ahead, what's on your wishlist? :D

Two different wishlists. Because I like working with young horses, I generally have one that is a sales prospect (Chief in this case), as well as my "keepers" (Spy was supposed to be a sales prospect but, at 30, he is clearly now a "keeper"). Belle and Music were bought as "keepers".

Sales prospect,
Over 16h(or "going to be over 16h")
Gelding
Bay (or black/brown)
"Cooler" temperament

Keeper
Smaller (15h to 16h)
Mare
"Hotter" temperament
More unusual color (chestnut, grey, palomino, buckskin, but not "spotted")

Both
Sound
Brave/bold, but also careful
Observant
Learns easily
Good/correct mover
Good/correct conformation
Potential for at least 3rd level dressage and Prelim Eventing (doesn't mean I will get them that far, but there shouldn't be anything that will limit them to a lower level)

eventer_mi
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Yes! Who are you? Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?

I have bought and sold quite a few in my quest to make it beyond Novice in eventing. What is that saying? - "Some people change their tack, their trainers, their horses, but they never change themselves?" That would be me a few years ago.

I am an adult ammy with a job that pays very little (high school English teacher), but luckily, I have a husband whose job takes care of the bulk of the bills. I can only afford prospect; hence, that is what I buy. i would dearly love to buy that made Training level horse that's winning the dressage and packs my inept butt around a Novice/Training course, but alas, until I win the lottery, that isn't in the stars.

I tend to shop "word of mouth". I ask around, do a lot of looking on Dreamhorse.com (but I have yet to buy anything off it), and end up buying locally.

Now that I have a Warmblood with a phenomenal brain, great gaits, and ability, I think I'm quite partial to his bloodline ;). However, i'm not picky. A good horse is a good horse is a good horse.

I find myself staying away from mares and anything under 16 hands due to the fact that there are no guarantees in this world, and if I find myself selling, a 16.2 hand bay gelding will sell faster than a 15 hand chestnut mare. Sad, but true.

My wish list? If money wasn't an object, I'd get a lovely Irish sporthorse with at least 8 gaits, under the age of ten, that could pack my butt around a Training course. Heck, I'd LEASE one if I could find one!

secretariat
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Neither criticism or praise, but I think the bulk of these answers describe very accurately why breeding for eventers is not an economic choice.

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
Neither criticism or praise, but I think the bulk of these answers describe very accurately why breeding for eventers is not an economic choice.

Err... Breeding is not an economic choice. Period! :winkgrin:

But I might as well be genuinely interested in what I do. :yes:

Cheval Gris
Jan. 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
I am a 28 year old wife and mother of a 6 month old. I am an RN and work 3 12's so I have four days to ride. Will probaby have a job change soon which will free me up every afternoon to ride, but will have a job commitment 5 days a week. I rarely buy horses, always with the intent to keep forever.

My first horse was a QH I bought when I was 12 (with my savings :)) for $1500 as a 4 year old that I had been riding in lessons. He went on to become my Training packer. Sold him to a pony clubber who is like my little sister. He will retire to be my little girl's ride.

My second horse was a not so brilliant idea OTTB for $2500 while I was finishing my senior year of college from a local trainer that is related to my husband down the line. He had been OTT for about 2-3 years sitting doing nothing. He was a fantastic jumper which is what drew me to him, without my trainers approval. He sure could jump, the moon in fact, but I could not stay with him and ended up getting hurt more times than I care to mention. So I sold him on when I got pregnant as that was no longer a worth while risk.

Then I bought my current horse, OTTB for $3500 that I found on dreamhorse. He had been OTT for almost a year when I bought him and had been sort of restarted (falsely advertised might I add). I was 12 weeks prego when I bought him. He is flashy, dapple grey (which I said I would never own!) knees to eyeballs and I believe will make a wonderful training packer, maybe a prelim horse for me should I get the nerve back up to go there. Very easy to train and laid back. He was a bit expensive to me for his experience level, but he is my horse of a lifetime.

I traveled 2 hours to get him. Wouldn't travel much outside of 4-5 hours probably if I were shopping agian. I have a full time life outside of horses but he is easy enough that I can accomplish my goals riding 4-5 days a week and get to 5 or 6 recognized events a year with schooling shows, hunter paces and fun things in between.

I am not up to par on bloodlines but really was looking for another OTTB or cross with TB. I cannot afford a made horse, but quite enjoy bringing along youngsters. Not interested in anything that needs backing whatsoever. So in a nut shell, I like 4-7 years old, cheap with some kind of training (OTT counts) sane/safe with enough ability to take me around prelim some day. Oh yea, that also requires spurs. ;)

Xctrygirl
Jan. 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
:winkgrin: :D

Who are you?
A cross discipline pro with lots of TB track experience who loves eventing on the low level, jumpers, fox hunting and just generally a nice horse to ride.

Do you mainly buy prospects? For now I will say yes. I bought made when I needed made to advance my career. Now, I advance it myself with more greenies.

Young horses? Yep 3-5 yrs are my faves.

Foals? LOL. Ummm no. I would be the worst about bringing along a foal. I'd be schooling it xc at 1 yr old on a lunge line. LOL.

Ready-made horses? See above.

What's your typical horse shopping trip? Typically within 200 miles of home.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? Yes. Tb's are first choice, Tb cross second.

Any bloodlines you seek? Unbridled (:)) Damascus, Bold Ruler, Mokheiba, Horatius, Known Fact, Ribot..the list is long. But I am quick to acknowledge that greatness can come in many packages. (Says the woman who didn't finish college, and whose sister graduated from Stanford with Honors!)

Like most in the market, I think the prototypical event prospect is a dark colored or gray gelding over 16.1-16.2 and knows how to be sane, sound, jumps 3'+ with ease, is a nice mover and will let any D pony clubber ride it without an issue. Oh and is only 5k. LOL. The buying public and the selling public can usually meet up on all fronts but 2, soundness and money. And I expect that's why I LOVE selling to the hunters. They have more money and vets.

~Emily

yellowbritches
Jan. 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
Who are you? I'm kinda sorta maybe some version of a pro (I don't ride as much professionally as I was) who would like to ride consistently at the UL. I shopped for myself for the first time ever last year...everything prior to this horse has either been a giveaway type deal or a cheap, young horse that was already in the barn that I got along with.

Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses? I was looking for a young horse who had some early miles or would have been ready to go out last spring. I scored on the horse I ended up with. He was very well started after coming off the track, and had competed a couple of times at training. Everything else I had been looking at had, at the most, a couple of BNs or N...if that.

What's your typical horse shopping trip? Local? Regional? National? Europe? I ultimately tried my horse while on a trip to Aiken...however, he was actually local! I'm in a nice area for shopping (area 2). I wasn't really interested in looking at horses that involved plane tickets, though had I not found Toby and had sold my horse other horse for more money, I would have gone to England/Ireland very happily...but that was a pipe dream! I would have sold that horse for A LOT more money than he was really worth for the job he was doing.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. ) I am partial to TBs, and that is what I ended up with. But my second choice was a WB, but very thoroughbred-y. I was far more concerned about type and athletic ability than breed. I could care less about registry.

My goal was to find a horse that was a good mover for dressage, but more importantly had a very good mind. A very good canter was non-negotiable (I rejected most horses based on their canters). I was supposed to end up with a slightly bigger horse than I did (not my goal, but my coach felt I needed to start looking at slightly bigger horses than I'm generally attracted to). The horse needed to be scopey and athletic, and, again, have a very, very good canter and gallop.

Any bloodlines you seek?
Nope. My horse is such a no name in the JC department, but he's exactly what I wanted. I would look into a horse's breeding if I knew it, but I wasn't shopping for anything. I have a soft spot for Roberto, but I wasn't going to buy a horse solely on that!

I honestly HATED shopping. I love shopping for other people, but for me, I found it frustrating and annoying. I knew the feeling I was looking for in a horse, and sat on so many (and didn't even sit on quite a few, too). Toby and my second choice felt perfect (actually, there was a 3rd horse, too)...exactly the feel I wanted. I am ridiculously happy with what I ended up with. He is the coolest horse I have ever sat on. He makes me :D

secretariat
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Equus - probably true! But when we produce nearly 30,000 new TB's each year (that's 2.5 horses for every USEA member) and try to sell them to not-rich, independent eventers who fit the old advertisement "Please mother, I'd rather do it myself!" the market gets a little thin. We sell training, not horses.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes! Who are you?
AA with a decent job, try to have 1 event horse and 1 resale project going at once. Would like to compete higher than I have in the past.

I like OTTBs a lot. Have bought about 50% at the track, the other 50% restarted to various degrees. Have neither the eye nor the patience for foals, probably, and not the budget for made, though I would love a schoolmaster if I could.

I live in NoVA and we have a lot of horses right around here in the Mid-Atlantic. My travel limit is a day trip, so far anyway, so up to 6 hrs or so.

Are you adamant about certain breeds/registries? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. )

I really like OTTBs, but not a must. I think the intersection of "type and talent I want" and "can afford" falls mostly in OTTB territory, but a cross could be good too.

Any bloodlines you seek?

I am somewhat aware of the better sport lines, and it would be nice to have them, but I mostly go on conformation and gallop. My current 2 have terrible pedigrees for sport.

My lottery winning wishlist would a schoolmaster.
My actual list would be uphill conformation and gallop (I tend to like leggy, rangey, lighter-built, but athletic can come in all shapes), good legs/feet, flexible on sex/size, though I am tall, bold, sane (always forget that one when shopping, though), friendly.

EquusMagnificus
Jan. 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
We sell training, not horses.

Now this is interesting. :) What do you mean exactly? Training by way of coaching or by way of selling a horse ready to show? Or by leasing out training facilities.. or? Or?

This thread is very very interesting. :) Thank you so much again to all who choose to participate! :D

supaflyskye
Jan. 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
Fun!

Who are you?
I'm a YR. I'm 19, poor, in college full time, but honestly more focused on horses. I have 3 relatively green horses, 1 currently eventing, 1 about to start, and 1 that doesn't like to jump(looking into dressage).

I buy green horses. "Diamond in the rough" super bargains.
I prefer young horses, but recently bought on older greenie.

Regional. At this point in my life I won't drive more than 6 hours or so to look at a horse. Maybe at some point in the future that can be expanded, but not for now.

Heck no! If the horse shows physical and mental promise, I don't care one bit.

Any bloodlines you seek?
Not particularly, I look more at the horse in front of me.

I'd love to be able to spend money on a really super young prospect to bring along, something w/ purpose bred that could foreseeably do upper level stuff.
Someday.
and I'd like to be able to lease a schoolmaster for a while.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
I'm a 25 year old graduate student that has competed through prelim with 15 years of eventing experience. Soon to be a working 9-5 AA and married with aspirations of reaching prelim again someday.

I have only purchased green horses. That's all I can afford. All ten or so have been Free-$4800, with most being around $2000.

Horse shopping is usually going to the track or through word of mouth. The track I normally go to is 5 hours from home. Although I do look at Craigslist and Sport Horse Nation.

I love TBs and ponies.

I can't ride bloodlines... so I don't care all that much. For the TBs LAZ helps with what lines tend promote soundness, etc.

Wishlist: My Wee Dee Trrr :) and a Pony
Wee Dee Trrr-
TB
stocky (ish) build
good conformation
able to go barefoot
easy keeper
not a flashy mover, but has a great canter/gallop
great form over fences, capable of going prelim
slightly quirky but ridable.

Future Pony-
POA or POA cross
14 hands
all of the above (except down grade prelim to novice/training)
Wants to be a games pony as well as an event pony. :D

ellemayo
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:17 PM
Fun!

I'm a 24 year old just out of college and in my first moneymaking job.
I've borrowed and leased, but never bought a horse of my own. Now that I have some spare change, I'm searching for my perfect first horse :)

I really only have the funds for a prospect/ young'n. No foals for me, I've already waited way too long to be able to ride a horse of my own.

Like many others I do a lot of my shopping online. I'm in the pre-purchase phase right now, which mostly involves drooling a lot on the keyboard. It also has helped me get a grasp on what I can expect in my price range. So I'm learning what is non-negotiable (good brain, fun personality, brave and capable jumper) and what that's going to cost me.
I look at CANTER, but I don't think I have the experience yet to see a horse on the track and know if it has the potential or desire to do what I'd like to do.

Whatever I get will almost surely have a lot of TB blood. I don't know enough about bloodlines to be picky about pedigree.

Ahh my wishlist...
At this point, I know what my ideal would be, but I think it's probably unrealistic to wish for Leyland haha
I have a preference for bay geldings, medium to tall, who LOVE to jump. On a scale of dead to uncontrollable, I lean slightly towards the hot side. I want a younger guy who, if taken off the track, has at least been sent over a few fences so I can see if there's potential there.

I really can't wait to get my own.

PhoenixFarm
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm going to answer as myself, as a trainer for some folks actively looking, and as a seller.

Yes! Who are you?

I'm a late 30's Mom who is a professional. Competed to mid levels in a couple of disciplines, specialize in quirky horses, youngsters, and confidence issues in riders. I'm currently looking for horses for an older AA with lower level aspirations, an ambitious and talented junior with a limited budget, and another older AA looking for a dressage and trail partner. Husband is an upper level rider and fellow pro, though we both spent a significant amount of time as Ammies with desk jobs (he , more than I).

Honestly I've bought very few horses: they either just find us, or we breed them. Of the ones I've bought, all but one were either green prospects. The only "made" horse I've ever bought is by far the best horse I've ever owned or ridden, but he was also the most difficult and quirky, LOL. He's now in his semi dotage, taking students around at BN.

My students primarily want something with at least some experience--some form of proof, even if it's only one event, that the horse can do the job. Budget is what ultimately makes their choices for them, but generally my students want as much expereince as they can get for their money.

As a seller I have found the same thing. I'm a breeder too, and I haven't found an eventer that will touch an unbacked baby with a thousand foot pole.

Local to regional usually, though I have one client with 50 jillion airlines miles, so we might go a little farther affield for her. Again, I generally don't have the type of clientele with the $$ for trips overseas to purchase 6 figure horses.

Absolutely not. I like TB's, stock horses and old school Hanoverians, but I've never ridden a bad breed.

However, I see a lot of buyers with a lot of preconceived notions. I've had plenty of people call with "I'll only buy a . . ." or "I'll never buy a . . ." It's almost always related to a previous experience: an unsound OTTB, or a chicken WB or what have you, but I think it happens enough that I think it does matter to more people than you'd think.

Edited to add: I'm interested to see all the pro TB language on this thread. I love them myself, but when I was breeding actively, I stopped breeding full TB's because they simply didn't sell as well as the partbreds. At least out here, most folks do not want a full TB, and many of them don't even want 50%. The last full TB (sportbred) I bred had to be winning ribbons at Novice ready to go Training before I got so much as a single phone call on him.

Any bloodlines you seek?

I like turf and 'chaser blood in TBs, I like old lines in Hanoverians (especially the A's and G's which are damn near impossible to find anymore), I like reining and barrel lines in stock horses. There are some stallions I really like and will perk up if I see them in a pedigree. I consider myself reasonably educated about pedigrees in several breeds, and I will often use that knowledge to whittle down a list of choices, but ultimately, I pick the individual.

I find in general, the average buyer could care less about pedigree.

I don't really have one, LOL. I honestly love all the horses standing in my barn right now, and I have a pair of rising three year olds I'm going to back this year who is everything I've ever wanted, right down to the color and markings LOL.

Interesting thread!

judybigredpony
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
Who are you?
Full time horse person
[B]Do you mainly buy prospects? Young horses? Foals? Ready-made horses?
Primarly 3-6 yr old TB's on track

]What's your typical horse shopping trip? Local? Regional? National? Europe?
Local, Regional Race Tracks, Training Centers and Thoroughbred Farms.
Thoroughbreds!!!

Any bloodlines you seek?
Private Account, Conquestador Cielo, Gone West to name a few
15.3 to ? Colt or gelding any color clean straight correct, nice length of neck,overall symetrical and, balanced, pleasing to the minds eye, no vices with pleasant attitude and big reachy walk. FREE..or close to

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Jan. 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Fun, fun , fun!

Not shopping, but if I was:

AA, over 50, don't bounce like I used to, large size. Aspire to Training level, have never shown above Novice. Used to love OTTBs because that's what I could afford. Now I would look for ISH or DW, but would probably end up with a draft cross like the 5 we have now. Agree with those posters that like at least 50% TB, with a few exceptions.

Temperament is paramount, followed by soundness, quality, size and looks. I really would give up a whole lot of fancy for a kind sort that would let me enjoy the event. No drama. Mares are OK if not too mareish.

I love to hunt my eventers and it makes them and me better, braver, fitter, and probably safer.

Dream horse? 16.2 black Irish Sport horse or even a an Irish Draught. Dappled gray makes my heart go pitter pat, but I hate cleaning them. Brave and honest as the day is long. Uncomplicated, friendly, cheerful, trustworthy-- a boy scout. Comfy gaits that make me look like I know what I'm doing. A face I like to see in the morning.

For the last few years I thought I had gotten really fearful and timid. Then I rode my husband's wonderful gelding for a while, and discovered it wasn't me--it was the horses I had been riding. This horse is consistent, willing, kind, and sure-footed. He's a funny color and has a ratty tail, but should be cloned.

eventingismylife
Jan. 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
Who am I?
I am a "young adult" (18-21), active PCer, PC instructor, and eventing on a shoestring budget. I am pretty frugal as well, and haven't spent more than 6k all together on the four horses I have owned. My ultamite goal is to be an UL rider and trainer. I like the greenies and the horses that may have been our of work and need a leg up.

I look for horses that have a sane mind, are exellent jumpers and can put in a good dressage test. Soundness, good bone, and at least 16hh are a must. 16.3hh+ is even better. I want a horse that I can do a little bit of everything with in addition to Eventing.

My Dream Horse would be an UL prospect. Irish Sport Horses, bigger boned TB's, Rheinland-Pfalz-Saars, and Oldenburgs are my favorites, but I am not picky when it comes to a horse's breed. This horse would be catty, scopey, brave, and sane. And above all sound!!

asterix
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'll play, since I am actively shopping...

Adult ammie, middle aged, have ridden thru prelim and brought along a greenie to Training. Have a job but flexible hours, prefer to "do it myself" but am not brave or young enough to want to "do it" with a horse that presents a high risk of serious injury to my middle-aged self :D Have great training resources, managed to bring along a greenbean to 2nd level solely based on my excellent dressage instructor.

I own a lovely 16 year old who has had his share of injuries but is (now) the most wonderful Training packer ever, can go Prelim if all his body parts are working, so I'm looking for young and green (4-6 ideally). If I found a horse with experience under 10 that I liked and could afford, that would be fine too...

Breed/bloodline -- no, do not care.

dream horse:
Big (17 h+) laidback gelding, crossbred (some TB, some WB, ID or ISH would be just fine :D). Good natural jump and canter. Inquisitive and brave. Uphill and correct. Must have 3 good gaits; I did the math, and you spend more time doing dressage than anything else. Must have a good brain and good basic manners (at 17h+ you better believe this is important). Already hacking out sanely -- with 2 horses and a business to run, it is invaluable to me to have horses that anyone can hack out...means all my friends and barnmates can hop on and get them some exercise when I can't get out...

Like yb I am in Area II so have a reasonable hope that I can find what I want within a day's drive. If I get desperate I could see making a weekend trip to Aiken this winter. Getting on a plane for one horse? Not on your life.
I HAD someone do that for my sale horse (wants to be a foxhunter). He was perfect for her. God knows how much $$ she spent flying herself and trainer up for 2 days. After all that, she didn't like his navic xrays (which my vet and now 2 other buyers' vets have said were "absolutely fine"). I'd have to have some confidence horse would pass the vet (whatever that means for me) before flying to see it.

scubed
Jan. 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'd have to have some confidence horse would pass the vet (whatever that means for me) before flying to see it.

I will fly for one horse, but if serious, I vet first. I would rather not fly, take the time, potentially fall in love and then not have horse work. Most recent 5 -
1. Bought untried with only still photos and a phone conversation. Did not vet. Florida (wb/tb/appy)

2. Bought untried with videos, phone conversation and vet check. Georgia (ottb)

3. Had on trial when I was in Florida. Vet check almost as much as horse (barely backed Trak cross)

4. Untried, photos, video and extensive list of email questions. Did not vet. Virginia (tb cross)

5. Fell in love when I tried him, though not what I was looking for. Day driving trip where I tried 5. He was the first of them. Fairly complete vet check. Maryland (ottb)

So, even for a given buyer, there can be a lot of variation depending on desire for horse now versus dream horse, available $ and what is out there.