PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about converting...

FlashGordon
Jan. 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
So I've not had regular lessons in years. I come from a lifetime of hunters, though I have dabbled in dressage as an adult. I've been feeling kind of "homeless" lately.... don't really want to do the hunter thing anymore, not sure about going straight dressage....

Today I took a lesson with an eventing trainer who came highly recommended and recently purchased a facility here in town. It was fabulous! I had so much fun. The horse was great, the trainer is awesome, and I'm definitely going back for more. It made me think maybe Miss Morgan Mare and I could make a foray into lower level eventing.

I loved the atmosphere at the barn, and maybe it will be a breath of fresh air for me.

Anyway just wanted to share my excitement. :)

Lori B
Jan. 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Me me me me (flails around, raising hand like a dork)!

FG, you know eventers are the coolest.

My best friend characterized eventing this way: They ride around outside and gallop over stuff and through water all day. If at the end of the day, everyone completed and no one is at the hospital, they declare victory and go drink beer.

She left out the dressage, but you know about that part.

Your mare will love you if you do. She's too smart to do only one thing, or to stay in a ring all the time. :-)

Finn'sMom
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
My best friend characterized eventing this way: They ride around outside and gallop over stuff and through water all day. If at the end of the day, everyone completed and no one is at the hospital, they declare victory and go drink beer.

Love it!! So true!

FlashGordon
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm super psyched, Lori!

And thank you for encouraging me to keep at this. Riding for real today... I felt like ME again, the one that existed before kids and husband and housework and clients. :)

Chouteau
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
YAY - I hope you & your horse have great fun trying it out!
I'm a complete convert & loving every second of it! They literally stopped talking to me at the hunter barn when I showed with an $800 fresh off the track 3 year old! Couldn't have worked out better for me, I left & found eventing - I get goosebumps just day-dreaming about running cross country (which will have to get me through until our first event of the season - not until May!)

FlashGordon
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah everyone in my life has been like, you bought a WHAT?! When I say I bought an unbroke 4 year old Morgan mare. I honestly bought her because I wanted something sane and sturdy and forward going, that would be small enough and sane enough for my kids to ride someday.

The hunter peeps didn't even want to hear me say the word Morgan once she got too tall for a pony card, and the dressage peeps are like "well she COULD pass as a WB or a Friesian...."

When I saw her jumping the puddle/ditch in her field, over and over FOR FUN the other day, I thought hmmm maybe we both need a change of discipline!!

I doubt we'll do more than dabble at the very lower levels and do some hunter paces, but regardless, I'm excited. It is fun to meet some new people, who seem quite welcoming, which is nice!

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Fun and excitement is what it's all about! :)

scubed
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
eventing is the best! And if you have a trainer you like, you are set for success. Plus, I know a bunch of Morgans who have been super successful eventers, so you probably even have the right horse.

bizbachfan
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
I want to do the same thing, just have not gotten up the nerve to get a trainer yet, but I am going to do it with my Haffy for certain and maybe even the mutt pony I am in love with. Good for you, you are a step ahead of me!!

Duckz
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yaaay! A new convert! :) Eventing is so fun. I came over from the hunter/eq world on a lark and then found people who like wine as much as I do ;) XC is the best. I pretend I don't like dressage, but holy cow, I'm learning all sorts of new stuff. You and your morgan are going to have so much fun! Good luck and keep us updated!

LexInVA
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a good start on your road to becoming one of the Chosen People.

ss3777
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
You will love it!!! the hunter world produces great eventers! It would be an interesting statistic to see how many of us have our roots in the hunter world. Plus, no harm in dabbling in both disciplines. Give it a shot, you will not regret it........good luck and keep us posted :)

Carol Ames
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, indeed, who, which trainer moved in where?:confused:

Love it!! So true!

DevilsAdvocate
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
one thing i LOVE about eventing is "who" your horse is, and what label you are wearing isnt of big concern. People just arent impressed by that. I have a free MorgaFlinger (its just fun to say!) who is turning out to be the best horse I could have ever of asked for. My new guy and I dream of being professional BN eventers :) I love Morgans and my last morgan was atheltic, smart and sound. He was the love of my life. I rode hunters for years and years and years. My open hunter was getting sour and my (very open minded) trainer decided to take us out XC schooling. I had no idea what I was doing, but I knew I was REALLY having fun. And my horse, totally different. We finished out medal finals and never did hunters again :)

Carol Ames
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Join hhe local dcta, dressage and eventing; they will keep you out of trouble:winkgrin:

bambam
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
I want you to promise to update us after you do your first xc course because I think we might have a true convert at that point ;)
I did not even really know what eventing was except in the most general terms for the first 30 (?) years of my life and I just did the hunters.
Then I kind of fell into a situation where I took lessons from an eventing trainer. I thought it was great. Then I did my first xc course and realized FUN did not even begin to cover it. That was it- from that day on, I was an eventer.
Welcome to the dark side, even if you only dabble over here, and someone pass FG a beer :D

Babble
Jan. 17, 2012, 07:47 PM

During a college visit several years ago, my host for the day was on the Intercollegiate Dressage Team. When she introduced me to another of her dressage friends and told her I was an eventer, her response was "Oh, I love eventers - they are so much fun!" Then, after a pause, she added "I think it is because they are always just so happy as long as they made it around XC in one piece!" Too true! Welcome to eventing! You wont regret it!

CobJockey
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm an escapee too, and I haven't looked back once! You'll be hooked once you fly over an XC course the first time.

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
I felt like ME again, the one that existed before kids and husband and housework and clients. :)

:yes:I am SO with you on that one!:yes: I haven't been back in the saddle enough with a constant ride yet, but when I do get to do that first BN, watch out world! Eventers are the coolest folks, come on over to the "dark" side.

wishnwell
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm super psyched, Lori!

And thank you for encouraging me to keep at this. Riding for real today... I felt like ME again, the one that existed before kids and husband and housework and clients. :)

That is all you need then to go for it!

FlashGordon
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys!!

I was so discouraged with things this winter, I'd seriously been considering selling my mare, and retiring from horses again.

But after my lesson yesterday, I'm totally inspired. It was nice to remember that I CAN ride... and that there are new adventures out there for us to try and new people to meet. :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
Morgans are a fantastic breed! And how you described your mare....sounds like she should have some fun eventing.

There are not nice people in all sports....whether it is hunters/jumpers/eventing or even just trail riding....you need to find yourself a fun barn that is a good fit for you and you horse and have some fun in whatever the two of you choose to do!

Sounds like you may have found the right fit! Have fun!

RSEventer
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
"There are not nice people in all sports....whether it is hunters/jumpers/eventing or even just trail riding....you need to find yourself a fun barn that is a good fit for you and you horse and have some fun in whatever the two of you choose to do!"

How true I have found this to be....esspecially this year!

RAyers
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
I know every one has been posting "goody goody," feel nice posts, but conversion is not easy nor should be taken lightly.

There are extensive classes that need to be taken under the auspices of governing entity. You must show true knowledge and understanding of the discipline via various tests and activities. And then you must renounce all allegiance to any other disciplines for all eternity before you are accepted as one of us.

Only then can you join our meetings that occur almost every Saturday and Sunday.

Reed

Ibex
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
So what you're saying is that she needs to learn to drink more??? :lol:

FG - You and Bella are going to make AWESOME eventers!!!

baxtersmom
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
Yay! Welcome to the Dark Side!
Here is my friend (adult ammie mom of three) and her Morgan event pony (who would not walk through a driveway puddle when she bought him) -
http://tinypic.com/r/noii4o/5

NMK
Jan. 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
Morgans can be very competitive and fun in this sport. I have seen a few of them and they're out there enjoying every minute of it for a good long time. Welcome!

Nancy

scubed
Jan. 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
So what you're saying is that she needs to learn to drink more??? :lol:

Yeah, and ideally figure out helmet cams and how to laugh after being lawn darted

wildlifer
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
There are extensive classes that need to be taken under the auspices of governing entity. You must show true knowledge and understanding of the discipline via various tests and activities. And then you must renounce all allegiance to any other disciplines for all eternity before you are accepted as one of us.

Only then can you join our meetings that occur almost every Saturday and Sunday.

Reed

Like, dance classes? Or do you mean activities like "can you beat your horse back to the stabling after he dumps you on XC?"

FlashGordon
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
So do you guys have a speed bump division? Kind of like adult crossrails? :winkgrin:

scubed
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
absolutely. Not sure where you are, but many events now have two divisions below beginner novice at the unrecognized. For example, http://www.fairhillinternational.com/starterentryform%202012.htm
OR
http://www.rockinghorseht.com/uploaded/entry_schooling.pdf

Lori B
Jan. 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
You will be looking at divisions like elementary, or more likely, since you do know how to ride and have jumped a fair bit, 'baby beginner novice'.

Baby Beginner Novice is typically an introductory or training level dressage test, about 10 simple 2' stadium fences, and around a dozen or so friendly 2' or less XC obstacles -- logs, small coops, maybe going through water, a micro ditch, a little shrub, an up and down bank, etc. The goal is that it be a welcoming experience. You have jumped bigger stuff on a trail ride, I promise.

If it weren't for the availability of these levels, I'd be an eventer only by virtue of grooming for other folks. :-)

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a good start on your road to becoming one of the Chosen People.

Love it!