PDA

View Full Version : Point me in the right direction.. dressage saddles

Meredith Clark
Jan. 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
First of all I never plan on riding "real dressage" and my goal in eventing is to do Training. We're planning on doing Novice this up coming season and we need a new dressage saddle.

I have a Passier GG that I'm trying to get rid of (that no one wants!!) so I'm looking to spend in the $1500 range. The things I didn't like about my Passier was the straight flaps and DEEP seat. I'm just not comfortable with my legs so far back, I ride in my jumping saddle with VERY short stirrups and have a saddle with a very forward flap. I know I can't/shouldn't have that for dressage but I don't want to go totally opposite end of the spectrum.

Any suggestions?

Duckz
Jan. 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
You could save yourself the money and just ride dressage in your jump saddle :) I did that BN - T and I don't think it affected our scores at all. The only reason I ride in a dressage saddle now is because I bought one cheap from a friend and discovered I preferred riding in it for flatwork.

FLeventer
Jan. 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
My trainer rode through training with her jump saddle. I rode through novice with mine until I bought a dressage saddle that I felt secure in for when my horse has a screw you moment and flips his brain.

I personally love my Spirig. Super secure and just a super saddle.

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'd agree with just riding in your jump saddle. No rule that you have to have a "dressage" saddle. I rode in mine through BN and most of Novice until a nice person gave me a dressage saddle as a gift.

Highflyer
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
I would go somewhere like Rick's and sit in a bunch of different saddles. Sit in your trainer's and your friends' saddles, too. It's really hard to tell otherwise :) For less than $1500, you can probably get a very nice used saddle and that's the route I would go, rather than a cheaper new one.

Of course you don't HAVE to have one, but if you can afford it it's awfully nice :)

Tasker
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:10 AM
You're welcome to come up and try any of mine - everything from Stubben's newest (and some of their oldest) to the tried and true American Flex types.