PDA

View Full Version : Eventing in Dallas, TX

EaglesWings
Jan. 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
I've recently been introduced to eventing after years of straight Dressage, and needless to say I have stars in my eyes. I'm in east TX, not exactly an eventing mecca, but found a barn near Dallas that offers week-long intensive courses, Currah Equestrian Center. I have a week off from work coming up and have my eye on this, if for no other reason than to put my foot in the water and see what eventing is all about. Does anyone know anything about this barn? Would it be worth pursuing? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

http://www.curragh.com/

Divine Comedy
Jan. 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've never been to the facility itself, but I know the main trainer there pretty well, as she takes lessons and coaching from my trainer with her lovely mare. In fact, she posts here, under the name of grzwinskia I think.

Angela just made the developing riders list this year with her super mare Novelle after completing the Colorado and Galway CCI**'s, and is moving up to Advanced this winter. One of her students, Alyssa Phillips, just won the CCI* YR this summer at the age of 14 (I think), and already qualified for YR next year on her new mount Exploring. Angela has a really good history of moving kids from N up to P, and getting them ready for YR. I've never seen her teach, but from watching her students at shows it looks like she puts a great base on them before they ever start moving up the levels.

Maybe she'll chime in and let you know more. :-D

huntereq1991
Jan. 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
I cannot speak about the facility or training (I am from HunterLand), but I wanted to make a quick comment about the location. Curragh is located in the Crowley/Benbrook area (SW of Ft. Worth), which is about an hour drive from Dallas (or more in traffic). Just thought I would let you know, so that you can make appropriate travel plans when necessary.

archieflies
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Where in east Texas are you? I don't know anything about curragh, but I'm in Palestine and ride with a great eventing trainer in the Tyler area if you're interested.

EaglesWings
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm in Nacogdoches.

IrishWillow
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
If you're in Nacogdoches, you'd be better served by looking into going to Longview, Pine Hill, Meadowcreek, or the Tyler Rose Horse Park. Longview and Tyler are going to be the closest. Curragh is on the west side of Dallas, near Weatherford. It would easily be a 3.5 hour drive. Where are you boarding in Nac?

Toadie's mom
Jan. 18, 2012, 12:15 AM
If you're in Nacogdoches, you'd be better served by looking into going to Longview, Pine Hill, Meadowcreek, or the Tyler Rose Horse Park. Longview and Tyler are going to be the closest. Curragh is on the west side of Dallas, near Weatherford. It would easily be a 3.5 hour drive. Where are you boarding in Nac?

Who are the resident trainers at these barns (other than Curragh)?

jackalini
Jan. 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
Curragh is a really nice facility with a large covered ring, outdoor jump ring and a xc course for starter through training levels. Angela, Vanessa and Noreen are the primary trainers out there - all great to work with. Noreen (also the owner of the facility) is BHS certified, I believe.

I'm not sure who runs the week-long course, but you'd be in very capable hands either way. Nice group of schoolies out there, too, if you do not have a horse of your own or want to learn on something with a jumping background and training.

I do not board there but have been lessoning out there off and on for about a year and a half and have attended their schooling shows for years, and I'd be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

archieflies
Jan. 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
There's no trainer at Meadowcreek and the Rose only has an H/J trainer. I ride with Colleen Snyder in Troup (SE of Tyler). That would be much closer for you on a regular basis.