PDA

View Full Version : SI/Pelvis Soreness in OTTB?

vtshale
Jan. 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
Anyone have any experience with (I think) SI soreness in OTTBs? I have a 3yo, OT since July 2011. She's recently started bucking quite a lot on the longe at the canter. She'll also canter with her hind legs together occasionally. Seems to happen more to the right, than the left. She wasn't doing this last summer, but got increasingly worse through the fall, then, was on rest due to heel soreness and sole bruising in her RF. She's sound now, but very cranky to canter to the right, and reacts to pressure a few inches off her sacrum. She's not fond of being chiro'd and would probably have to be tranq'd to be chiro'd again. I think she's just gotten really weak behind and needs cavalletti work, lots of trot/walk/trot transitions before we attempt the canter again. Ideas?? One vet suggested stifle locking, particularly b/c she's 3 yo? Another vet suggested estrone therapy? Any thoughts? (keep in mind that all the work I've done with her since Oct. is on the ground- longing and long-lining, no riding)

Meredith Clark
Jan. 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
Jay would canter with his 2 hind legs together when he was having soundness problems. He was very sore in his SI and also had kissing spines. They were able to inject his SI joint but couldn't inject his kissing spines because they were too close together.

They also did shock wave therapy on him which really really helped a lot and the vet gave him steroids to help build topline muscles faster to support his spine and SI. We obviously couldn't compete with the steroids but they did help getting him back into shape.

I will say Jay is not 100% sound and has some mental issues at that so I don't ride him except for pleasure. The things I mentioned above really did help his soundness but for him it wasn't enough.

Good luck!

BoyleHeightsKid
Jan. 17, 2012, 06:25 AM
I would haul her in to a good lameness vet. The sole bruising and heel soreness is a clue that she's overloading her front end to get the weight off of her hindend. Is she shod? This could be SI soreness, but could also be weak/sore stifles.

FWIW... My OTTB gelding HATED his massage and chiro sessions at first. He would swish his tail, pick up a hindleg, lay his ears and even try to bite. I put him on a E/Se supplement and he slowly started to love his sessions and now when he sees her, even if it's after a year, he instantly starts to lick and chew. He loves her and grooms while getting massaged.

judybigredpony
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
After a good vet exam, I found acupuncture for the SI worked best in conjunction w/ quality Chiro and or Massege myoefacia release. The Estrone is not a bad idea and not expensive certainly won't hurt.

vtshale
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
BoyleHeightsKid: It's interesting that your horse didn't like chiro's at first. My mare has been chiro'd twice, first time stood doing little bucks as her SI was been adjusted. Second time, as her SI was being checked out only, not adjusted, yet, she put her hoof through the bars covering the window in her stall. I have no idea how she managed to get her hoof through as the bars don't look like a hoof could get stuck in them and it's pretty high up. Needless to say, she's not a fan and will probably have to be tranq'd to be done again. I wanted to get her front end straightened out before we fixed the hind end. She is shod- bar shoes, wedge pads in front. Regular shoes in hind and angles behind look excellent! Our local "sports medicine" vet (exclusively lameness) is suggesting estrone therapy, so I'll give that a try. I've also just put her on Vit E, from Elevate. But, in the meantime, it's frustrating!!

vtshale
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks Judybigredpony! My vet does do acupuncture (probably have to tranq her for this- per my previous post) but that's a great idea!!

BoyleHeightsKid
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:00 AM
His pelvis was rotated from an old SI injury and he was really out of whack in his lower back when I first called her out. She said he had some "dead spots" in his hindend that she said was not fibrosis but close to it and suspected a selenium deficiency. I had her work on him monthly for about a year, put him on the E/Se supplement (he now gets E/Se Mag) and the last time she saw him she was amazed at how good he looked. He needed no adjusting and she said all of his responses were feel good ones. Good luck with your mare. She'll come around!

horsechick
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
For horses who are more reactive, we do "acupuncture" with a laser first. They seem to tolerate it MUCH better and once some of the soreness is gone, will accept traditional acupuncture, massage, and chiro.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
What does she eat? Go to Ruralheritage.com and read about EPSM. Then get a muscle biopsy. TBs ARE candidates for this malady and the sooner you catch it the better off she'll be.

I'd get her off the lunge line, too. No 3 year old OTTB needs to be cantering on a lunge line. IMHO, you're just asking for trouble.......

joiedevie99
Jan. 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
Yes, I've dealt with SI issues in OTTBs (and non-OTTBs). If you've got a messed-up SI or back, the horse will compensate by moving differently- causing different lamenesses all over the place, and potentially causing old issues to flare. I wish it were as easy as dealing with one leg at a time- but oftentimes that just creates a bigger headache.

My preferred route with SI issues is an injection, followed up with a 6 day/week rehab strengthening plan for at least 8 weeks- walk and trot only, cavaletti, hills, backing up - all added slowly and built upon. I've had luck with Estrone, but not without the program accompanying it. If you've got a really tense horse- talk to the vet about a month of Robaxin during rehab work- it can make a different for some of them.

My retired mare was actually diagnosed primarily through the symptom you described- two-footing behind. Hers was most obvious on the landing side of a jump - she had learned to guard the area by putting both feet down at once.

vtshale
Jan. 17, 2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks joiedevie99- I think you've got some sage advice and that's the route I'm going to take. Slow rehab (she has had 3 months off due to the RF lameness/sole bruising/coffin bone inflammation) of walking, some trotting, some poles and hills, but all in straight lines. I agree with RiverBendPol that she shouldn't be on the longe right now. It's so hard in the winter in VT when the indoor is packed. Ideally, I'd long-line her all the time, but it requires so much space! I'll couple the walking etc. with estrone (and I just put her on a bioactive Vit E supplement). She was on Robaxin back in Oct- I'm not sure it did anything, but I'd be willing to try it again. Maybe throw in some acupuncture, too. Hope this isn't a deal-breaker for her and eventing and we can work her through this! When she's moving well she's a SUPER mover- incredibly light on her feet and very uphill. She WAS sound last summer!

rhymeswithfizz
Jan. 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
I just got my tb healed up from this. Our last event this fall, he crashed hard through a stadium fence (poles everywhere) and hurt his back. The vet believed he he been compensating and twisting due to some slightly sore stifles. We upped the adequan and did some "pt" to strengthen the si area. We will see how he does in the spring. He is doing better now but we will see if we can keep him that way! Once there is an injury there, they are more prone to do it again.