PDA

View Full Version : Mary King gets the ride on Chilli Morning

JER
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
After six years with Nick Gauntlett, who took this lovely stallion up the grades to a completion at Burghley in 2011, Chilli Morning's owners have decided to move him to Mary King's.

A sad day as Chilli Morning leaves Team Gauntlett (http://www.gauntlett.me.uk/newsitem.asp?newsitem=80)

Hal
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
Poor Nick but I suppose that what you have to do as pro event rider with owners. Good luck to Mary thou

Blugal
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
Ouch! Name of the game & all that, but I feel for Nick.

LAZ
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Dang--I saw that pair go at Burghley. Nick did a masterful job getting the horse off the drop at the leafpit & down to the skinnies. Chilli Morning wasn't thrilled with the idea of leaping into space, Nick took him off line, jumped the low side of the drop & then was able to get him straightened out to jump the chevron.

Blugal
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
I have to wonder - do Chilli's owners & Mary know something we don't? Seems that if King's Temptress & Imperial Cavalier are in good stead, that Chilli would have no chance at the Olympics with her, i.e. a better chance with Nick.

JER
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
Dang--I saw that pair go at Burghley. Nick did a masterful job getting the horse off the drop at the leafpit & down to the skinnies. Chilli Morning wasn't thrilled with the idea of leaping into space, Nick took him off line, jumped the low side of the drop & then was able to get him straightened out to jump the chevron.

Yes. That was one very impressive ride. The horse started off a little dubious but steadily gained confidence as he went around. By the time he finished, he was a true CCI**** horse.

:)

snoopy
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have to wonder - do Chilli's owners & Mary know something we don't? Seems that if King's Temptress & Imperial Cavalier are in good stead, that Chilli would have no chance at the Olympics with her, i.e. a better chance with Nick.

Remember, Mary is carving out a good breeding programme...

Blugal
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I just read that she had bred to Chilli Morning (http://www.isporthorse.com/features/all-the-kings-horses-by-victoria-spicer/), following her philosophy of breeding to popular stallions so that the offspring will be saleable.

JER
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
Some interesting follow-up at Horse & Hound:

Owner tells H&H why Mary King has ride on Chilli Morning (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/391/311126.html)

Napoles
Jan. 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Nick's statement speaks volumes. It must have been very hard for him to get that phone call. Best of luck to Mary though.

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
Nick's statement speaks volumes. It must have been very hard for him to get that phone call. Best of luck to Mary though.

He is not the first and he is not the last. It happens all the time over in the UK....especially if you do not have a share in the horse. It is not uncommon to have a lorry show up at your yard to move a horse to a different rider. There is an unwritten rule not to poach riders from your fellow riders. Not that Mary did this. It is more common for riders to have owners in europe and if that owner is dissatisfied with the results, that owner quite often moves the horse to someone that might be able to produce better results. It is a business in the end and the owner has to get money back either from sales, or in the case of a stallion, breeding fees. Who's to say, that Mary will produce the results that the owner would like (and is footing the bill for) and the horse may move to yet another rider. Mary is kind, will do her best by the horse and owner and what will be will be. Nick is not down and out and with a rider of his calibre, will surely get more rides and success.

atheventer85
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
I feel for Nick. The years I've spend in England riding, I saw it on a very regular basis- owners moving from rider to rider. Nick's a talented, young rider with Olympic rings in his future. I also, obviously, wish Mary the best of luck with this talented stallion; not only riding him, but with her obviously very successful breeding program!

Napoles
Jan. 20, 2012, 05:16 AM
He is not the first and he is not the last. It happens all the time over in the UK....especially if you do not have a share in the horse. It is not uncommon to have a lorry show up at your yard to move a horse to a different rider. There is an unwritten rule not to poach riders from your fellow riders. Not that Mary did this. It is more common for riders to have owners in europe and if that owner is dissatisfied with the results, that owner quite often moves the horse to someone that might be able to produce better results. It is a business in the end and the owner has to get money back either from sales, or in the case of a stallion, breeding fees. Who's to say, that Mary will produce the results that the owner would like (and is footing the bill for) and the horse may move to yet another rider. Mary is kind, will do her best by the horse and owner and what will be will be. Nick is not down and out and with a rider of his calibre, will surely get more rides and success.

I am aware of all this. I am based in Ireland and friendly with many professional eventers who ride for owners and have produced numerous horses for owners myself. :) I am just saying it must have been hard for Nick to have received that phone call. How could it not?