PDA

View Full Version : Faced with an impossible task...

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
My SO travels up and down the east coast of the US with his buisness, and wants me to start traveling with him more.

They spend 1-3 months in any given location, summers are spent within a 3 hour drive of NYC for the most part (generally 1-2 hours drive north), and winters in FL.

I'm having no problem finding boarding facilities in Florida that are within my normal price range ($400 or below), but I'm at a total loss for the northern leg of our year, being as everywhere I look at seems to be a full-service facility in the over $1200 range. I could do up to around $600 probably though.

Obviously I'll have to find places that are willing to accomodate us 2 months at a time if needed, and I'll likely need my own rig to facilitate the frequent moves. Also, our northern locations tend to be all within the same area, so it would be easy to find a barn that is more central to all 3 or 4 working locations to be able to spend the whole summer there.

I don't have the first clue as to how to find good local coaches, barns, etc. My knowledge of home just kind of evolved over the years, and I cant think of much other then to get in touch with some local tack stores or something.

Also, if any of you board anywhere awesome in the Yorktown Heights/Brewster NY area, I'd love to hear about it, and same goes for Tampa FL :)

I might be entirely crazy to even be concidering this mind you, but I don't want to give up the sport I love to be with my SO either....

Jumpingrules92
Jan. 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
I can't help with locations or barns or anything..but wow what an experience! Being able to train with different trainers and different barns! I would love it :)

wishnwell
Jan. 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be pricey in the NE. You may be able to find something but you may be able to find pasture board in the Pa area....not sure and summer would be easier on the horse. I couldn't give you help on trainers but you should be able to find boarding under $1200. The short term may be your bigger issue.
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity though!

Flying Ponies
Jan. 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
The Tampa area is 1.5- 2 hours south of Ocala where there is an absolute wealth of UL pro's and coaching etc, if you have the option of hauling out for lessons.

South Creek Foxhounds is in the general Tampa area http://www.southcreekfoxhounds.net/ for hunting and hunterpaces.

There is a newspaper called Horse and Pony News that would probably help you.

Re NY- I haven't been there in years,but when I was, I boarded in Patterson. It was just about 20 min north of Brewster and much more rural . I found a private, partial board situation . You might call the offices of the equine vet practices in the area and ask them who is boarding- they know where the farms are :)

good luck.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
What I'm hoping for for the summer, but really not holding my breath is that we've talked about opening a permanent store in northern New Hampshire. That would suit me to a T, especially winters in FL!

The closeness of Ocala and Wellington are one of the reasons why I am really shooting for my own rig - while I can't afford board at the fancy places up that way (and a 2 hour commute to ride daily just isn't going to happen), it would be a great opertunity to clinic with some of the best.

shea'smom
Jan. 15, 2012, 03:29 PM
Look for pony clubs in the area and ask them for recommendations. www.ponyclub.org

deltawave
Jan. 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
There are lots of barns in northern climates that have empty stalls in the summer months, as people (like me) keep their horses at home except for the winter months.

Think outside the box a little--for horses that travel a lot, being on pasture board might be healthier for them anyway, and you're much more likely to find affordable options if a stall is not mandatory. The summer months mean grass and good weather, so they'll probably be quite happy turned out. Look for facilities that offer this option, OR ASK . . . you never know. A good facility might be happy to have a short term boarder who keeps their horse outside for a month or two, especially if the boarder takes lessons.

Good luck--sounds like great fun! :)

devildogtigress
Jan. 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
Um, Nik Lane who owns Spirited Partners Riding Academy is fantastic. She's a friend of mine with skads of experience. If she can't help you, she can at least get you going in the right direction.

http://spiritedpartners.com/

GL and sounds like fun! (speaking as someone who was born and raised in the Tampa area, and is a former South Creek Pony Clubber)

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
That's a good point about asking about pasture board - many of the places I've seen online so far only publish really full service on their site, but might be willing to have a fat pony that they just need to keep in a field and not feed somewhat on the cheap.

I didn't think of pony club, thanks for that.