PDA

View Full Version : Finally a member of the herd (bought a canter cutie) **He's Home**

Xctrygirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
Just leaving penn national now. Details to come, will pick him up tomorrow.

Very exited.

~Emily

Heinz 57
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yay! Must include PICTURES with those details!

I'm heading out to go pick up my free STB. Not quite the same, but it's a good day for new horses, fresh snow on the ground here!

wookie
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
i am bringing one home from canter usa tomorrow....etoile noire. i am now officially a mare person and my gelding needs to go. just love the girls

ohrebecca
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
Yay, you found one!!! Congrats! Please update with pictures, you know we need them to coo over and properly congratulate you!

Xctrygirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5486:update-1812-price-reduced-petey-cap&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings ER

Here's his link. Pics don't really show off his ears to their full size. :lol:

~Emily

ohrebecca
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Oh, he's niiiiiiiiiiiice! And I love big ears :)

Even more congratulations to you!! How thrilled are you?

pony grandma
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
Pics don't really show off his ears to their full size. :lol:

Wait until they relax and go airplane! :lol:

He really looks like he's a good FUN choice! Big congrats he sounds like a pocket pony. He's gonna love his new life!

Beam Me Up
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:18 PM
Cute! Congrats! I love big ears, especially if they are floppy.

jn4jenny
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
Whew, nice pedigree on that one! Congratulations. http://www.pedigreequery.com/petey+cap

Xctrygirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
Whew, nice pedigree on that one! Congratulations. http://www.pedigreequery.com/petey+cap

I'm most thrilled to see Shuvee. What a race mare. Sadly she is a prime example of Tesio's theories on mares. But love his personality. Course the boys in his 3rd generation are not bad either. Lol.

Emily

bizbachfan
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
adorable!! big ears mean big jumper right :)

vineyridge
Jan. 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
AWWW! He looks like such a baby for a long three year old. He's got a lot of growing and filling out to do.

Congratulations on finding him and taking him home.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
Way to go, Em!

ACMEeventing
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
Congratulations! I hope to be a member of "the club" someday! Keep us posted with LOTS of pictures :)

scubed
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
Super cute and just the type I like + AP Indy, Danzig and Damascus. Looking forward to hearing about this guy!

Toadie's mom
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
He looks great! Hope he turns out as good as my "Petey", who is also ND on top and Damascus and Secretariat on the bottom. I'd never had one off the track that "came along" as quickly as he did :D

horsecents
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
Love the head shot on the Canter site. He is too cute!

Long Spot
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
OH squee! Those ears are just fabu! The rest of him ain't half bad either. ;)

Congratulations on your new boy!

CarolinaGirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
He's a cutey! I've had OTTB's before, but never a CANTER one... there's still plenty time though lol.

Xctrygirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:22 PM
He's a cutey! I've had OTTB's before, but never a CANTER one... there's still plenty time though lol.

This got me thinking....how many of my horses were OTTB's? The answer is all but 4 of 15!! And here's the kicker, one of those 4, Genie, I turned into a steeplechase/point ot point horse briefly. So in all only my first pony, my Argentine Tb and my west coast eventer were never raced.

None before have been "Canter" horses. But Lad could have been if I had waited. My friend was his trainer and asked me to spread the word about him being for sale, back when Canter was in action at Charlestown. (Of course....I never told a soul! :lol:)

Every one of these amazing horses helped and taught me so much. I can't wait to see what Petey allows me to see and grow from.

Here's the 4 quick pictures we shot today:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150488782237759.368143.528382758&type=1&l=5ed2a821f3

Ok the quick version of events from today.

We scheduled to come this am and were told when I called yesterday that another person was scheduled to come at 10:30 ish. So we said "Ok we'll come at 9." Norma said "No. I'm not done working then. Can you come at 10?" We said sure.

Ok got to Penn at 10. Opted not to bring trailer today. Bad luck and wasting gas were my worries. Norma took us to his stall and I swear my heart fell. As I stood in the stall I would have sworn he was tiny. His legs and feet are great and he is a pocket pony for sure. We took him outside and voila...15.3!!!! PHew.

We carefully asked if we could see him jog in the shedrow. **Mind you, it was 16 degrees outside and he hadn't trained in at least 5 days. And he's just a long 3 yr old.** :EEK:

So we watched and ducked and were impressed with his floaty light way of going. And we were quick to find the nearest empty stall when he was showing off his hock and hind end springs! Honestly he was very reasonably calm considering all of this and only bucked a couple times when his fellow stablemates reached out of their stalls and tried to eat him!

John and I discussed and after seeing his cold as ice legs and playing with him in the stall (he gave me a kiss!! Seriously, not even biting) we said "Ok we'll take him."

So Lad got a "brother" and we'll bring him home tomorrow night. I already went down to the basement and ravaged a few smaller blankets so Petey won't freeze as he experiences turn out and near snow and ice storms this week. Ugh.

We'll see what he needs, but I believe Lad may make a return to being a pony horse. He was really good at it at the track. And leading around with a buddy is a lot more fun for the babies. (I think)

More pics to come when we have enough light. Looks like the new truck will make it's maiden voyage to get him tomorrow. Oh lots of fun. :D

~Emily

BEARCAT
Jan. 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cute!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!

brightskyfarm
Jan. 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Yea Em~!!
congratulations.. :)

Hes such a cutie too.

retreadeventer
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
You too got NICE ones.

Me too -- very excited about the Shuvee too when I saw it -- top name there. We laughed over those races! My dear Rugby had lines like that and look how he turned out! (Someone complimented him as a made hunt horse yesterday -- Mommie puffed up with pride).

Wookie: And the "Death Star" mare -- I LOFFED her video and you should do well with her! Which gelding is left to sell? Would you PM me ? can't find pictures on your FB.

Work all day today...and will be green with jealousy for you two....so glad Ears went to Em. Em and Ears. Hmmm. We like this. Cute pony. Will see you soon galloping over prelim XC at Fair Hill and Plantation!

Oh man who else is REALLY jealous! :)

riverpup
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
Congratulations! He looks like he is going to be a real lovebug.

Chall
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
He is very cute, but I am really impressed most by his feet. Those are really nice big hooves!

Xctrygirl
Jan. 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks Chall. I give total credit to his most recent owner's brother. He apparently does all her shoeing and wow. Plus it likely didn't hurt that he wasn't a racehorse for long. 4 DEAD last place finishes plus training time, I am thinking he was on a track (or aiming for it) for less than 8 months, possibly less than 6.

It will likely be dark tonight when we get him but maybe once at the farm we'll walk into the indoor and grab a few pics. Maybe. ;)

LMAO...."Ears" ha ha ha. I think we'll stick with "Petey."

~Emily

Laurierace
Jan. 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
I love Norma dearly! Good luck Em.

Xctrygirl
Jan. 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
Well.....we made it. But we definitely went to plan C.

Plan a was to use the new diesel to haul the trailer and pick him up. Nope. Electrical didn't work. No lights. And leaving around 4:30 pm on a 200 mile round trip.... yea not so much. You need lights.

So Clyde jumped up and saved the day. He pulled us through the rain and later sleet and we got to Penn only 30 mins after our first scheduled time.

Petey is a rock star. Hands down. Put on a couple coolers, shipping boots the works. Walked one turn of the shedrow and went out into the dark sleeting night and was throughly impressed as he watched John open the trailer and then proceeded to walk right on and stand there. Must have been a great horse in the starting gate. I tell ya.

So we offered him a carrot after closing up the trailer....Nope. Doesn't know what a carrot is! (We will fix that!!) So we hit the road, John swears he never moved. I'd agree.

Got to the barn. Had to turn a mare out and clean the stall before putting him in it. He stood on the trailer and waited without so much as turning a hair.

By now I am just thinking, "Man is he like an angel on the ground and a devil under tack? Hmmmm. "

Unloads without any drama, goes to stall. Gets lightly brushed and blanketed and I told him I'd see him tomorrow. (Side note, its hard to praise a horse who doesn't know what treats are. He didn't understand the orange sticks and the crinkly wrapers hold good things inside. And it was weird not having him respond to them.)

It's nearly midnight now and we've been home around 20 mins.

I am exhausted. The pics we got tonight are not stellar. I will shoot some good ones tomorrow.

Pet your ponies!

~Emily

judybigredpony
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
Congrats...he was one of my top 3 picks for another pal looking @ Penn yesterday.....

wookie
Jan. 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
congrats em...i have been drooling over him for awhile. i am with judybigredpony on that. he is adorable.

i took home etoile noire from laurel. i really like what pat dale has at her farm but this little girl kept speaking to me. so i sold a dressage saddle and brought her home.

wookie
Jan. 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
retread....i have my grey gelding for sale. ready to go novice. i just really want to have a mare. have a little one from pat dale but she is free leased by my best friend. see my face book page. he is my profile pix. plus he is in the albums

Xctrygirl
Jan. 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
Wookie,

I finally got to see pics of your mare. VERY cute and what a neat color. (Invest in quiksilver now while its on sale!!!! ;) )

I can't wait to hear how she develops and see pics of her.

I can't wait to get to the barn. Petey, Lad and lessons await. Thank God for indoors!!

~Emily

wookie
Jan. 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
i fortunately or unfortunately still have a gallon from when i had a paint. she is adorable and taller than they said. sticked out a tad over 15 3" .

she is an incredible flirt. she was next to my grey boy and they looked like little twinkies,,,except his face is whiter and she is all girl. the squeals and stomps were nonstop so my barn owner may have moved her over.

keep in touch with pixs so i can see how petey does. loved him!!! etoile is heading to aiken in february.

Fred
Jan. 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Huge congratulations! - he is seriously cute! Very best of luck to both of you.

ECEventer
Jan. 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
Congrats! Super handsome!

judybigredpony
Jan. 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hey who do you guys use @ Penn for PPE...going Monday for my new guy...:)...I don't do PPE's but a pal is also buying one same time....