PDA

View Full Version : Helmet advice, please

Duckz
Jan. 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
So here's the thing. I love my GPA helmet. I tried to switch to a Charles Owen GR8 a couple years ago but it just did not fit at all. In fact, I've tried on several of the CO helmets and didn't like the fit. But good grief, now that I'm not in hunter land I can't see spending $500 on another GPA. Eventually I'm going to need a replacement. Any suggestions?

AKB
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:01 PM
Look at International Riding Helmets and Troxels. The best way to do it is to go somewhere like Dover Saddlery that has everything. Try on everything and then buy a helmet from Dover. If you are happy with it, buy an extra at whatever online retailer puts it on sale.

fine*and*dandy
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
Some of the Charles Owen models are made for round heads and others for oval heads. You need to make sure you're trying the correct ones for your head shape. I had a long talk with someone at the CO company last year about it. I use a GR8 and a J3. My daughter wears a JR8, AYR8 and a Pro Skull II. Completely different head shapes.

Ruperman
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
I, too, could not fit in a CO to save my life. It was GPA all the way. Until the AYR8 came out. Seems to be that if you fit in a GPA, you'll fit in the AYR8 or the Wellington PRO by CO. That's my own experience mixed with when I worked at the local tack store.

Duckz
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I hope one of the newer COs can work for me.

reay6790
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
I wear a GR8 and a J3.

I have a GPA but it is too round for my head. I tried a Pro Skull II and it fit very similarly. Maybe that will work for you.

SparklePlenty
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
Duckz i'm in the same boat... CO dont fit me at all and i love my GPA however my budget isn't going to allow me to purchase another one right now. I did look at Amria.uk (SP?) and they have GPAs on there for quite a bit less, i'm just nervous incase it doesn't fit.

Best of luck.. ;)

mg
Jan. 15, 2012, 01:05 AM
I converted from a GPA titium to the CO Wellington Pro. It fits great. The GR8 looked silly on me and didn't fit right.

EventMore
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
Just a head thing. I can't fin a GPA that fits me!

rthonor
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:18 AM
I like the Ovation helmets. They are very comfortable for my head.