PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about repurposed Standardbreds...

Heinz 57
Jan. 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
as eventers. Anyone? Trotters, preferably. Stories, pictures, tales of greatness welcome. :winkgrin:

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
My coach had a retired STB thart she went advanced level on back in the late 80's. He was apperently quite amazing, and lived as a retiree forever! I don't know tons about him, but enough I'd buy a STB in a hearbeat! (I believe he was a trotter).

enjoytheride
Jan. 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
The ony problem i've seen is that they can be difficult to teach to canter and can have a "standardbredy" canter.

Heliodoro
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:08 PM
A local trainer has a bunch of failed/retired OTSTBs in her barn, from eventers, hunters to dressage. I loved working with them at the track, very willing personalities. I think of them as very similar to TBs with maybe a notch down on the excitibility scale for the most part! Oh, and the ones I knew had feet of iron.

Foxtrot's
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
I had one in the early '80's. Tough, sturdy, sound, and sane. Hunted her for a few seasons. She only evented with me for two years, never had a competitive jump fault and was on the top ten in the province both years. Sold her to a HJ barn because of her neat little tight jump. Dressage was her weakest phase.
That was in the days when Training was the lowest height and there were no standards for water jumps - one lake we landed in the water came into my boots...she was almost swimming as she was only 15.1 hh. She was trotter bred.

Timex
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:14 PM
I've had several in the barn, at various points, both trotters and pacers, that have done well for themselves as hunters, trail horses and some lower level dressage. And I wouldn't hesitate to try eventing one myself. Come to think of it, the 2 Stdb 'retirees' (came off the track @ 5 and 6, and have been just hanging out for the past couple of years) could probably use a job, maybe conduct a little experiment? ;) Stellar little horses, IME.

easykeeper
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
Passed my "A" Pony Club rating on one...she was 20 at the time and had done Prelim with several of her previous owners.

She was a wonderful mare and would jump the moon!

SMF11
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
One of my boarders has one, she's one of my favorites -- a very sensible horse.

When she goes in a frame she looks just like a warmblood doing beautiful dressage. HOWEVER. She will *not* canter in a ring, so my boarder (who does event) cannot compete her. So they do hunter paces.

FlashGordon
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
I love them, and I'd have one in a heartbeat. My friend has a large camp/lesson program and she always has a couple. They are usually very sane, sound with a good worth ethic. Some learn to canter just fine, some struggle with it.

They are always quite brave though, not spooky, and just nice all around horses.

Heinz 57
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
OK, I promised myself I'd wait til he was home with pictures, but...

I'm supposed to go pick Jess up this morning. Jess is a true 17h STB that should weigh in at about 1500lb once I get him up to fighting weight. Three socks, I think (at least two, for sure) on a big, almost blood bay. Tattoo was illegible in the dark of the arena but I'm hoping with good light and a camera I can at leaset make out the letter. Teeth say ~10, which is in line with the giver-away-er's story. Totally sound, been used for mountain trails by an old man who didn't think it'd be a problem to get on and off 17h by himself with no mounting block. Said to have raced and certainly moves like a trotter but the lady wasn't sure since she didn't think he had a tattoo (I pointed out a grouping of black dots that didn't look lke freckles; the underneath of his lip has some dark splotches and mottling where the tattoo would go...). I *did* see a canter a few times while he was free in the arena and it appeared to be fairly nice - not lateral and flat like a lot of STB's I've seen.

He's big, sweet, and VERY busy. Needs some work on his ground manners and a good body clip/mane pull spa day, but otherwise? SQUEEEEE!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :lol: Unless it's to check his tattoo.

ohrebecca
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Congrats! Need pictures, stat!

I love STBs and if I were in the market for another horse, wouldn't put it past me to get one.

Wits End Eventing
Jan. 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
New Vocations adopts out TB and Standardbred ex-racehorses. They have some good info here: http://www.horseadoption.com/standardbred-adoption/
and would probably be a good contact if you had further questions.

Congrats and good luck!!!

Heinz 57
Jan. 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
They just aren't all that common around here, we just have TB and QH racing. I'm told he was bought out of Grants Pass. His feet need some work, I'm told the old guy tried to do the trims himself and they look pretty slipper-like, all run forward and flat.

I'm hoping to go get him in a few hours - we got some snow last night and he's up towards the mountains, but the weather people say it should slow down and warm up a few degrees between 12 and 2pm, so I'm hoping to hit that window.

StrawberryFields
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
all of the standardbreds i have met are all built really well, too!!

lolalola
Jan. 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
My STB is a pacer, but trotting has never a problem. He only paces if he is really nervous about something -- so it's easy to tell when he is genuinely upset about something or just acting stupid. It took a long time to get the canter, but his canter is TERRIFIC. They're taught not to canter, so you have to undo that training. If you're on the East Coast, Helping Hearts Equine Rescue in NJ has a nice 3 yo gelding for adoption who was born on the farm out of a rescued broodmare and is ready to go for training. He should mature around 17 hands.

Heinz 57
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
All right, here we go.

Say hello to Dutchman (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Dutchman/010.jpg). He'll be 11 in April, technically. He has a freezebrand, so I was able to clip it and got a nice clear read. He's a BIG boy, and I say that already having a BIG TB in the barn. The TB might be taller, but this guy is broad (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Dutchman/037.jpg). I'll get some better pictures tomorrow (hopefully) when I have someone to hold him for me. He didn't give a rat's behind about the cows (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Dutchman/029.jpg), either.

He's a busy body, and a little impatient and lacking in ground manners, but those are all minor fixes. He needs his sheath cleaned badly, but I didn't have the drugs on hand that will be needed. He was sensitive about me touching anywhere near it, so I suspect it may be pretty painful. Poor guy!

Foxtrot's
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
Bravo - having had a wonderful standardbred myself I can only say I am so excited for you and your new project. Lucky Dutchman. Looking forward to a picture when he has had a day at the spa.

Rainier
Jan. 16, 2012, 02:44 AM
Wow, he is a big boy :) Congrats, he looks like a sweetie!

Calvincrowe
Jan. 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
He is scrumptious Heinz! Love his face and what a hunk of a horse. You do find some gems, don't you?:) Good luck and keep us up to date on this new project. Maybe he'll make an appearance at a few of our schooling shows this summer!

Heinz 57
Jan. 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
He is scrumptious Heinz! Love his face and what a hunk of a horse. You do find some gems, don't you?:) Good luck and keep us up to date on this new project. Maybe he'll make an appearance at a few of our schooling shows this summer!

I suspect he will, if nothing else just to hang out. I'm excited to get him cleaned up and polished - he's of decent enough weight, just needs topline and some filling out. I really don't want to work him until we get that sheath cleaned though, it seemed to bother him enough that he didn't want to move out much.

This is a whole new world, must go research training the OTSTB for eventing!

SunnysideJate
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Congrats on your Standardbred he is pretty! I also have a Standardbed that is just the love of my life! I know there is a perception that STBs cannot canter but with patience and time it will happen. Sunny has a beautiful canter now but it took time. My biggest challenge with him was he would change his hind lead, but as he became more fit it stopped. Just like lolalola's horse he only paces when he is really scared or off balance (usually my fault.)
You will find that they are so brave, level headed and willing to learn ... Standardbreds are just a wonderful breed of horse.

EVENTINGallDAYlong
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
my family owns ,trains ,and races standardbreds, i broke a few to ride just trailing around nothing serious, the pacers and the trotters are very different from each other, but all in all they are all pretty level headed animals. for the most part i have to say good ground manners.
the deal with retraining them to do jumping or eventing takes some dedication , not because they wont do it but because they have been using there muscles and body in a totally different manner for so long that it takes some time to get them supple and get them to really bend and flex to use there backs and shoulders and hind quarters in a different way.
the trotters are easier to canter than the pacers, some can be more difficult than others , but its not impossible
its just that the pacing and trotting are breed into them its in there blood. it just come so natural to them that they dont think twice about going into the pace or the trot.
but all in all really easy to break. never had a problem.

good luck
and congrats

myhorsefaith
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
MEEEEEEE!!!

I adopted ConceptionbyDesign (aka Ben) about this time last year, and had him imported from Canada. He's a 3 1/2 yr old pacer, and young.

He's pretty much taken all year to be a freakshow in the growing department - went from 15.2 to 16 hh from Jan 2010 to August 2010. He's now 1/2 " away from being 16.1, and I hope he stops soon.

I absolutely adore him. Such a fun guy. He has a mix of very labrador-type behaviors, not very spooky at all, but also appears to be a bit sensitive- almost like his feelings get hurt.

He's going into full training on Feb 1 with my dressage trainer who specializes in starting horses. I am SO excited! He'll be there for 2 months.

Ben does pace, walk, has a HUGE trot, and canter. Initially his canter looked like a Pepe Le Pew thing, but over time, the departs have gotten really nice, though if left to stay in canter he goes back to his Pepe canter. But I have hope!

I have run into some bias- people telling me you can't ride standies, they dont canter, yadda yadda. I grew up in NJ and rode in Warwick new york, and rode standies all the time. So now its my mission to prove these naysayers wrong!

My plan is to do low level eventing - but we'll see where his talents are as he gets older!

Here he is, pretty sure this album (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1924052266129.112031.1386801512&type=3) is set to public.

Heinz 57
Jan. 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
Well, I'll be sure to post pictures after his spa day transformation. He's somewhat impatient when it comes to groundwork - reminds me of a little kid with ADHD. If you're not directly engaged with him, he's wiggling around in the crossties, making faces at the other horses, and shifting back and forth.

He will start "real" work tomorrow. :)

LisaB
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
I adored my little Butters. I got him through New Vocations as well. He was just 2 and the sweetest horse I've ever owned. He was a trotter supposedly and then decided he liked to pace. He never did canter that much and I didn't press it. It just seemed to be so hard for him and I wanted him to decide his future. New Vocations re-adopted him to a competitive trail riding home which I thought would be best for him and he loves it. It's really his thing.
Supposedly, my Amish reject is mostly standardbred - maybe all according to some. So pragmatic and sturdy!

sophie
Jan. 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
I had a friend (combined training/dressage rider) who used to claim Stbreds and retrain them for riding. Back then, I boarded my horse at a racing pacers barn, and I have to say, all those pacers and the few trotters they had were very level-headed, sweet horses! No taking off, no bucking, lots of pacing when nervous. Some had a good canter from the start, some needed a lot of re-training, but they were easy!

Way back when I was a student I rode an ex-Trotter at my riding school. Used to jump him in 1.10 m classes. He was honest as the day is long, but would sometimes revert to a BIG trot right before the fence...and jump clean, WAY over it. He was a fun horse. His dressage wasn't that great but I think he could have done much better if trained properly...but since he jumped so well, he was used in jumper classes.

Congrats on your (BIG!) boy!

Heinz 57
Jan. 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
I was able to pull his race record this morning.

48 starts, with the last in March of 2006 where he was scratched due to an injury. I sent an email to the trainer/owner to see if I can get any details on the injury so I know what I'm working with. ETA: got a response. What we have here, is a two time California Horse of the Year with over $130k in lifetime earnings.

I was able to get a few more pictures of him outside yesterday, but forgot to put the memory card in the camera and don't know where the USB cable is right now. doh!

NowThatsATrot
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Congrats, and good luck! I have two STBs (both trotters) of my own, and have been working with the breed for about 10 years now. Great horses, some have better gaits than others, but nearly all are honest, sturdy, and kind-hearted.

My older guy turns 19 in May, he raced until he was 10 and was started under saddle at 11. Humored me through all the obligatory "first horse" antics, and then some, and did just about everything, including eventing up to the equivalent of BN. (Never made it to recognized; series of unfortunate events on our end...) He's still mostly sound but I wanted to keep him that way, and didn't jump much higher. His canter was always kinda flat but with diligent riding, came along fairly well. He's semi-retired now and would never have gotten a "10" for his gaits, but he still pinned against other breeds in local hunter and dressage classes.

Younger horse turns 10 this year, never raced but did dressage for a few years... Spent the last year teaching him to jump, gallop, and be a horse, and hope to convert him into an eventer. He's got some old SI issues we're still working out, and when he's tense his canter definitely has that gaited horse wibble... But he's a good sport, and improving steadily. He, too, is a big dude, 17 hands and built like a tank. Actually looks a bit similar to Dutchman in some of those photos!

Can't wait to see more photos of your new guy... Keep us posted on his progress!

ohrebecca
Jan. 18, 2012, 02:38 AM
Congratulations again, Heinz57! He's a cutie :-) And awesome news on him being CA HOTY twice!

allikat819
Jan. 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
I've decided I need a standardbred... I just don't know where to FIND one!

Gestalt
Jan. 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
They just aren't all that common around here, we just have TB and QH racing. I'm told he was bought out of Grants Pass. His feet need some work, I'm told the old guy tried to do the trims himself and they look pretty slipper-like, all run forward and flat.

I'm hoping to go get him in a few hours - we got some snow last night and he's up towards the mountains, but the weather people say it should slow down and warm up a few degrees between 12 and 2pm, so I'm hoping to hit that window.
Congratulations!!!!!!! If he is anything like my guys you are one lucky horseman. Both of my geldings came from the old Ka-Jon Oaks Farm in Estacada. Sire -Hunters Star, dam - Forever with Love. And both are big boys, big chests, big legs and feet and really big hearts. One is 17h and the other is 16.3h. Measured with a real hgt stick :)

NowThatsATrot
Jan. 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
Someone on FB just posted this video... Can see some of the odd gaits in there, but it doesn't stop him from getting the job done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsk1V3chWxY

Heinz 57
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!! If he is anything like my guys you are one lucky horseman. Both of my geldings came from the old Ka-Jon Oaks Farm in Estacada. Sire -Hunters Star, dam - Forever with Love. And both are big boys, big chests, big legs and feet and really big hearts. One is 17h and the other is 16.3h. Measured with a real hgt stick :)

Gestalt, are you in the PNW?! Guess I never knew that. Maybe we'll see you around. :)

The Desomers apparently bred him. I had a nice conversation with Vicki and she raved about this guy and his heart of gold. I have yet to get on him, the arena got over-watered and was pretty slick in some places so I elected to give him a few more days to settle in. He seems sweet, though expectedly a little standoffish after changing hands yet again. I've seen him canter in turnout, and am optimistic.

Gestalt
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
I am in the great PNW. :) Currently in the ice encrusted northeastern Blue Mtns.

I was living near Portland when I got my first boy, Connie Tuor (Windfall Stables) trained him to jump. She really liked him. She said he wouldn't make it as a hunter, but he is a good jumper. Clean and brave.

myhorsefaith
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ooooh, I think we need a PNW Standie get-together this summer!!!

We're in Washington, and slowly melting outta this winter mess. Ben came from Canada...and hates the snow. Haha. Poor dude!

Congrats and good luck to all you standie owners!

Gestalt
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:25 PM
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/magootoyou/Goose030.jpg

Heinz 57
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
Welllll....

After a day of light work the poor boy looks iffy. :no: Arthritic knee, maybe? I'm going to see what info I can get from the trainer about the injury shown on his record. She didn't mention details but said that it was nothing to worry about, otherwise they wouldn't have sold him as a riding horse (Sorry, but I don't put much stock in that theory. The pounding a jumper takes is much different than some leisurely trail riding here and there). He may be better suited to a less strenuous career.

ohrebecca
Jan. 20, 2012, 01:46 PM
Awww, Heinz, I'm sorry :(

Sending good thoughts for you and the hoss.

Heinz 57
Jan. 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Poor guy. He has a fabulous trot!