PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Louisville-Help!

mcorbett
Jan. 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
My husband works at Rocky Fork Arena (http://www.rockyforkarena.com/) in Shelbyville starting 2 year olds and working for a cutting horse trainer. It was supposed to be temporary, he's been living there for 5 months and coming home to Nashville on weekends, but now it's permanent. I'm moving 7 horses, 4 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 chickens in 3 weeks.

Any help with names of good farriers, blanket repair, leather repair, tack shops, trainers or any other information about the area would be awesome!!

Oh, and, who wants to be my first KY friend?

RedLetterSales
Jan. 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
I live in Lexington so I don't know about tack shops and such, but as for trainers Susan Harris is the first person you should look up. Www.Springrun.org

CallMeGrace
Jan. 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
We are at Spring Run!! E mail me - I will PM my info.

CobJockey
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm an hour north of you in Indiana. I don't know much about the KY side of the river in terms of horses, but I can give some excellent restaurant recommendations!

Gryhrs
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
JEALOUS!! You lucky girl you!!!

Second the Spring Run recommendation. We drive 2 1/2 hours to train there....closer to 3 with the bridge out. Susan and Blake Harris have a top notch facility that produces successful horse/rider combinations. They do a great job of fostering a very happy low drama :) barn atmosphere.

CallMeGrace
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
JEALOUS!! You lucky girl you!!!

Second the Spring Run recommendation. We drive 2 1/2 hours to train there....closer to 3 with the bridge out. Susan and Blake Harris have a top notch facility that produces successful horse/rider combinations. They do a great job of fostering a very happy low drama :) barn atmosphere.
So true, Gryhrs!!

CHEvent
Jan. 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
I ride at Spring Run also! Been riding there since I was 7! Its a good barn but also a really great network of people that caring and experienced!

Zu Zu
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ```

ENJOY ```

BEST WISHES FOR A SMOOTH MOVE ``

FoxChaser
Jan. 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
The Hitching Post tack shop is quite nice! Also Flying Cross is a fantastic show venue. Lots of great folks around Louisville- Martha Lambert and Mary Fike as well as Susan Harris. Welcome to Kentucky!

ZackAttack
Jan. 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
I moved to KY about 6 months ago. I work for and train with Dorothy Crowell in Frankfort. She's wonderful and I'd highly recommend her!

For farriers Eric Parson is who we use, he is fabulous, if you'd like a phone number, PM me.

Our vet is Chris Newton, of Rood and Riddle.

The tack shops I've been too are Wise Choice in Lexington, and Horse Cents in Versailles. Wise Choice is great for tack and they also have consignment stuff. Horse Cents has some tack, but a lott of supplies and medical gear.

tle
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
I can't help with any horse related recommendations, but very good friends of mine just moved to Louisville this past summer. i miss them a lot and would be happy to pass on their email if you want to hang with a couple of fantastic guys (they're married so no pressure in that area :) ). I need to schedule a visit with them now that I think about it.

CookiePony
Jan. 15, 2012, 12:20 AM
Nashville will miss you. :cry:

eponacowgirl
Jan. 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
Nashville will miss you. :cry:

A lot.

secretariat
Jan. 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
And mary lowery.

You're gonna love it!

Gryhrs
Jan. 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
OF COURSE SECRETARIAT!!! Mary Lowry is AWESOME!!! (AND....she's a realtor too!!)

MCorbett.....just clicked on your mini farm link and loved seeing your farm pics and reading your blog! Then as I kept reading - I saw you posted my helmet cam! LOVE IT!! I felt famous. Hope your dad came thru for you:)

LauraKY
Jan. 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Eric Parsons is just great...I tried to get him to come to me after ex-farrier and ex-ex farrier disaster, but he and my guy, Rob Spencer decided that Rob had another client down here and that I would be using Rob. LOL. Love Rob if you can get him too.

Hitching Post is great. If you want to come to Lexington, I really love Wise Choice.

KateWooten
Jan. 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
Booo. On the plus side, I just did my first trip to Lexington, and have a new trip to Louisville planned for a month - I might be your first visitor :D

CHEvent
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Along with Spring Run I also second the reccomendations for Mary Lowry, Dorothy Crowell, and Martha Lambert!

Carried Away
Jan. 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
You will love it!! I lived there for 4 years and it's where I really got bitten by the eventing bug. Lots of great barns, I second the Susan Harris, Martha Lambert & Mary Lowry recommendations - they are all fantastic. Best of luck!

BigMick
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
I recommend where I board at Stone Place Stables.

Spring Run and Lands End Farm are both geared towards the more serious competitor. I also believe that at Spring Run the horses only get 1/2 day turnout (for me a total deal breaker). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

At Stone Place we have a great instructor who can most certainly help you achieve your goals, but there's no pressure to compete and only one lesson/month is mandatory.

Two great outdoor rings and a huge indoor. Two different barns with different price options.

As with anything, make a list of your must-haves and go from there!

PM me if you want specifics about feed, turnout, pricing, etc.

CallMeGrace
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
Wrong about turnout - our boy is out all day right now and out all night in the summer.

mcorbett
Feb. 6, 2012, 02:31 PM
We're here! Just checked back with my thread. Thank you everyone! Don't have Internet access yet (don't know if there is any coverage where I live!) I will pm some of you soon!