PDA

View Full Version : ideas on sharing a talented young horse

RTF
Jan. 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
I bought an outstanding eventing type connemara/tb cross. He is bred to event, and moves like an eventer....although I am a dressage rider through and through. This guy is coming 3 and I am more than willing to start him, hack him and put his foundation on him. He is a big goof ball at this stage, and has the attention span of a hummingbird. He also has great gaits, and the breeding to excell.

I am a pro at the lowest level, I have my own farm. Long term...I want to keep him for fun. Does anyone have any ideas how I could get a young talented rider to go along for the ride? Maybe a lower level pro, like myself that has talent, but not the right horse. I can pay some costs, and get him going for sure. I think this one could be fun, and I keep telling myself that he has that extra something special. How would you go about finding the right ride for him once he is going? As a pro, I would not take a freebie in, but I would consider partnership. Help me out as to getting some ideas on where to go with this one. I want it fair for anyone involved. I can post a link to his 2 yo conformation shot.

RTF
Jan. 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2401481470124.128756.1043671422&type=1&l=4f6d185b46

Here is my special pony...I so hope this works.

tuppysmom
Jan. 13, 2012, 11:55 PM
My daughter has done this twice now. It has worked out very well for everyone. I am sure there is a rider out there for your horse.

Cinnabon2004
Jan. 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
He's lovely, he reminds me of my connemara/Han cross. I think it is not a bad idea personally, I would just make it crystal clear you have no intentions of selling him on once you find someone to ride him. You should have no trouble finding a rider; there are lots of people who cannot afford, or do not have time, to ride or care for a horse of their own, so this could be an extremely fortunate find for a rider. I'd make sure you have a waiver against injuries and I'd do a contract as well in case any injuries happen to the horse and/or rider. Would you be doing a partial lease kind of deal or just working out a schedule for someone to ride him? Also it is far down the road, but discuss show costs, and any other financial questions that might pop up in the future. It'll just save you time and trouble. And of course it goes without saying but throw test rides in first to make sure horse and rider like each other.

I would probably ask some of the barns in your area if they know of anyone trying to find a ride or any talented riders who happen to be horseless. I know in my area there are quite a few. You would also be able to get easy info on each rider, rather than trying to find someone out of the blue who is respectable and dependable. If there are any shows in your area or you know any trainers I would also check with them.

I would just make sure the rider knows exactly what you expect, what your goals are, and what is going to happen financially up front so there is no confusion a month down the road. But it sounds like a great plan and best of luck! You are about to change someone's life! Not to mention your own and your horse's! :)

HUSGal
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:14 AM
He is cute, such a kind face! Good luck!