PDA

View Full Version : Rolex entries question

SLW
Jan. 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm a non-eventer going with a buddy to Rolex this year. We have a question- with this being an Olympic year will we see Olympic entries competeing at Rolex? Is Rolex part of any selection process for various teams??

Really, we don't have a clue as to how this Rolex might tie in with Olympics, like will it be chock full of Olympic horses or second tier horses? And I'm not slamming second tier horses, totally in awe of eventing at any level!!! :yes:

scubed
Jan. 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
It depends a little what you mean by "second tier" Rolex is actually harder than the Olympics! Some Olympic hopefuls will be there. Others who believe they have a more secure spot on the team or have been told that, may not choose to compete. It is part of the selection process for many teams.

SLW
Jan. 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
What makes Rolex harder than the Olympics?? Make me smart! :)

I know, typing "second tier" seemed wrong because while I don't event, I DO understand the massive effort it takes to make an event horse. It would be more correct to ID them as the "up and coming" horses.

Babble
Jan. 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
It will be a bit of both. Rolex is a selection trial for the U.S. (and maybe the Canadian?) team. The press release on the Rolex site can be seen here: http://www.rk3de.org/news/rolexkentuckythreedayeventpresentedbybridgestonere turnsapril2629.html

However, some of the top pairs who are the most likely Olympic choices at this point (like Sinead Halpin, who placed 3rd at Rolex in her first four star ever last year, and Boyd with Neville, who finished strong at Burghley last fall) likely have been given a pass by the selectors, as they have already proven themselves at the level and now need to fine tune their performance and stay sound (I think Sinead already announced that she will not be contesting Kentucky). However, I do think we will still see some great pairs and many Olympic hopefuls!

Have fun! You will have a blast (hope to be there myself as well if all goes well!)

Highflyer
Jan. 13, 2012, 07:17 PM
The Olympics takes into account the less experienced riders/ horses from countries not traditionally strong in eventing-- it has to be slightly softer so that they have a shot at least surviving :)

SLW
Jan. 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info Highflyer, that helps.

archieflies
Jan. 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
For example, if you watched the WEG, every 'tricky' jump had a much simpler option... people from countries that are not traditionally strong in eventing could make it around and complete the course safely, just with massive time penalties. Rolex has options, but not so many as to make the course 'slow and easy.' (Unless you're Denny, then everything these days is easier than the good ol' days!)

runnyjump
Jan. 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
(Unless you're Denny, then everything these days is easier than the good ol' days!)

I think you misunderstand Denny! He doesn't say it's easier, just not the sport it was and that having to do a full three day takes a more versatile horse and rider.

Having come up through the years watching him with the utmost admiration and respect (after all, he's earned it), I wish someone would do an actual comparison about the percentage of horses staying sound "back in the day" vs today. I think as a result of getting horses so much more fit for the full three day, that more horses stayed sound longer. Just a thought... I have no facts.

Cut him some slack... he's done both and is certainly entitled to express his opinion.

archieflies
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Cut him some slack... he's done both and is certainly entitled to express his opinion.

I apologize for joking. Apparently humor is unwelcome.

:confused:

deltawave
Jan. 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Rolex is a four star. Olympics are more like a 3 star.

Princess Tutu
Jan. 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Sorry, off topic but I just want to say WOOHOO! First Rolex thread of 2012! Can't wait, can't wait!:D

RiverBendPol
Jan. 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
I apologize for joking. Apparently humor is unwelcome.

:confused:

You can joke all you want but just let us know you're kidding. A smilie face, cheesy as it may be, lets your readers you're being friendly and silly. ;)

SLW
Jan. 14, 2012, 06:10 PM

Perfect, this helps too. By the time Rolex gets here we'll be smart enough to blend in with the crowd. :winkgrin:

NCRider
Jan. 14, 2012, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if they are planning to do the Rolex featured riders this year. I love reading about the lead up to the event but they almost didn't do it last year and they usually have it up by now, no?

mustangsal85
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know if they are planning to do the Rolex featured riders this year. I love reading about the lead up to the event but they almost didn't do it last year and they usually have it up by now, no?

I would think they'd wait til entries start coming in - I haven't really seen much in the way of rider committments yet as far as their plans to do Rolex are concerned.

snoopy
Jan. 16, 2012, 01:50 PM

You just may be surprised by what Sue "has cooking"....and until it is officially downgraded and designated 3 star, one better be prepared. It is still a CCIO4 and the designer has every right to design such a course (obviously with slower/easier routes to help).