PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Help for a Downhill Pony

Zan
Jan. 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
I am trying to find a decent secure saddle for a short backed, downhill jumper pony. I recently acquired this pony as a fun project and discovered his love and talent for jumping. I have been riding him in a Wintec 2000, which was ok, but unfortunately that saddle has met an untimely end. I am not looking to replace it with another Wintec 2000, due to the fact that as the pony has learned to better use himself I found myself getting hit with the back of the saddle over the larger fences. I LOVED the security of the Wintec though, as that ground keeps getting harder as the years go by, I am a big fan of a secure seat and a knee rolls ;) Pony is 13.3 at the wither and 14.0 at the hip, so also need a saddle that won’t act like a slide lol Pony has medium withers and back is on the flat side, although downhill lol Oh, and one that could be had for around 1K (or less) would be great. Not picky about color, synthetic/leather, new/used and not a brand snob.

So please help COTH, need a secure comfortable saddle that fits a short backed, downhill firecracker :D Thanks!!

phoebetrainer
Jan. 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
I have the same pony, but bigger: 14:2 at wither, 15:1 at butt; also a firecracker, far too strong for kids.

I have evented her for the last 2 seasons having done a year jump schooling. Jump schooling was not that successful until I put a crupper on her: saddle stopped sliding forward and pinching her shoulders or wither, didn't hit me in the seat, didn't roll around her barrel. VERY successful, even if it does look like a little kid on a shetland. I used it on a cheapy synthetic saddle with a medium wide tree.

Just another idea from someone who's been there - and its cheaper than a new saddle!

Keg-A-Bacchus
Jan. 14, 2012, 01:00 AM
OMG I'm in the EXACT same boat and all ears! I had the Pro Jump but it's too long on her short back with the gusseted panels! Was just about to post the exact same question! LOL

Zan
Jan. 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hmmm, never thought of a crupper....very interesting idea Phoebetrainer

Keg-A-Bacchus, the pro-jump was one that I was considereing, but yes, it is too long :(

Went to a local tack store and they had an Ovation Event saddle that seemed to have the right kind of shape to it. Anyone have any experience with them?

eponacowgirl
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
An old Stubben, notorious for a chair seat, works nicely on downhill horses, IME.

rthonor
Jan. 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
I have a 13.2 hand pony and I use a stubben. It fits him nicely.