PDA

View Full Version : Sources for XC jump numbers/poles, etc.

VCT
Jan. 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hi,

My riding club puts on a mini trial and a few hunter paces, etc and we are looking into getting new numbers for the XC jumps. I've found one place that sells them, and contacted a local sign shop, but I'm interested in finding more sources so I can compare prices and whatnot.

Thanks!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
for xc numbers and flags...when I organized an event (rec. through training)....we did them all ourselves.

Paint, stencils and a hammer and nails.

groom
Jan. 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.plasticsourceus.com/Homex.html

You cannot buy the wood and paint for the cost of plastic; nevermind labor and breakage and maintenance.

You should consider using their red and white plastic sticks sans traditional red/white flags. The numbers would be hung on the obstacle. This is a gigantic cost & labor saver in every aspect -including transportation & storage of the flags. And they are more wind resistant.

Old War Horse
Jan. 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quality products, fast delivery; they are the best!

LAZ
Jan. 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
I got my numbers (& some of my flags) made at signarama. They have held up through a bunch of shows. I am not crazy about the ones I got from plastic source because the screws do not hold the flags to the sticks well. You could get around that by doing as groom suggests & going with the colored sticks; I like the way flags stand out better, though.

VCT
Jan. 12, 2012, 05:58 PM
We have painted wood numbers and posts now and they are a pain to deal with.

I found plastic source us the other day, glad to see others suggest them as well!

LAZ, what is the problem with the screws and stick? Do they just get loose and wobbly? I need the numbers to be on the poles and easy to move around. I plan on using the break-away brackets to slide the poles into with the numbers.

For red/white we can just attach flags to the jumps as those don't need to be changed around, etc. The club has been using colored plastic plates in red and white stapled to the face of the jump on either side for years now. bleh. It's a pain to do and causes damage to the jumps. I plan to just permanently screw on a red/white plastic diamond on either side. It will be what people are used to seeing here basically, but a bit more tidy and less work.

groom
Jan. 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
LAZ, what is the problem with the screws and stick? Do they just get loose and wobbly?

That problem with affixing numbers or flags to the PS sticks is that they are hollow plastic tubes, with only the 1/8" plastic wall to grab screw threads. You can do it if you are careful and use the correct hardware. The screws should be very course-thread pan-head type screws. My favorite are the 5/16" hex head metal roofing screw with rubber gasket. These are available in a range of colors (to match metal roofing) so you can get colors to match the flags you are attaching. The rubber gasket acts like a lockwasher, and they are self-tapping. You just have to carefully snug them up so as not to cam out the thin plastic wall.

LAZ
Jan. 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
That problem with affixing numbers or flags to the PS sticks is that they are hollow plastic tubes, with only the 1/8" plastic wall to grab screw threads. You can do it if you are careful and use the correct hardware. The screws should be very course-thread pan-head type screws. My favorite are the 5/16" hex head metal roofing screw with rubber gasket. These are available in a range of colors (to match metal roofing) so you can get colors to match the flags you are attaching. The rubber gasket acts like a lockwasher, and they are self-tapping. You just have to carefully snug them up so as not to cam out the thin plastic wall.

Yep, I used a 1/2 inch long pan head self tapping machine screw & overtightened them which stripped the plastic & they don't hold. I love the brackets for my skinnies & banks.

VCT
Jan. 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info... I will mention that to the BoD when I present the options.