PDA

View Full Version : Mystery horse ad in Area 3 - Clovis

fitzwilliam
Jan. 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
My friend saw an ad for a 9yo ISH gelding in the Area 3 classifieds. He sounds like a good match for her but there is no contact information. He is out of Carlow Clover and his name is Clovis but a search of the USEA website yielded no results. Anyone recognize this horse and his rider? Anyone able to provide phone # or email? Thanks for your help.

inquisitive
Jan. 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Just did a google search

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-1681512.html

I believe there is a contact form on that website

Name is different but everything else seems the same. The name on this ad provides USEA results: http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=831&horse_id=113951

Hope that helps :)

ETA: found a video that has an email contact: http://www.youtube.com/user/CryptoniteClover/feed

JP60
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
As one who does not buy horses but rarely, how would the masters interpret this phrase

"Clovis has taken care of inexperienced eventer at beg. novice but needs to move up. Schooling training level at home and needs a confident rider to take him up the levels."

With a temperment of 4.

I ask, not because I am interested in this specific horse, but when I went through my own process of looking and buying an eventing horse, I read variations of the same theme. My one bad experience was reading "strong jumper" that turned into go hell bent at a jump. I quickly got off after that moment. Ads seem filled with buzz words -what is inexperienced vs experienced- for example. I would classify myself as inexperienced because as an adult rider I have to work through doubts and fears even as I jump 2'6" fences, yet folks that see me ride say I am close to an intermediate rider. Is there a guide?

Beam Me Up
Jan. 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
I don't think there is a guide, and most of the buzzwords are really subjective (on purpose--who likes to use terms like "crazy" in their ads).

I try to view them as conversation starters--ask the owner why does it say strong jumper/confident rider/experienced rider/forward etc. And don't be afraid to describe your riding. Really the ad is just the opener to the more detailed conversation.

I think the 1-10 is worse--when I sell I end up guessing as best I can, but am never sure if I have the same scale as others.

Worse yet, I think the experienced/inexperienced is context-driven too. For example, if I were selling a recently OTTB on Dreamhorse, I would probably say "for experienced rider" to cut down on the number of parents with 8 year olds doing great in lessons I have to screen through. But that probably wouldn't be necessary on EN, where most buyers know the skill set required for something green.

Similarly, I don't hesitate to call "experienced rider only" on general horse ad sites, to see what the deal is. But if a BNT eventer is saying that, I figure that's probably not me!

I wish it were easier.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
I always ask, why does the horse need an experienced rider. Sometimes it is just that the horse has big gaits or is forward. Sometimes it is just very green. Other times, it is because of spook, buck, bolt or other issues. Any of these could lead to someone saying "experienced rider only"

fitzwilliam
Jan. 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info Inquisitive, perfect!

Summies182
Jan. 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
twowillowsfarm@windstream.net

This horse is at the barn that I am boarding at in Athens, this is the contact information for the barn owner, I don't know the contact information for the owner.

fitzwilliam
Jan. 12, 2012, 09:48 PM
Thank you Summies, my trainer called the Clovis' trainer and had a good conversation, said she was very nice and informative. Now it's up to my friend.