PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for long, high withers? NEW question post #30

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
New question on post #30:

"So I'm bumping this back up with a new question. What are thoughts on the Amerigo DJ saddle? I found one in my size and my horse's size with an extra long flap. The flap looks more forward, but is not specified. I've ridden in the Vega and liked it, but the saddle was too wide for my horse. I've also heard that the trees can be adjusted a little? Those who have ridden in them, how do they ride? Balance point? I don't like big blocks at ALL, and the one I'm considering has normal to smaller blocks.
Thank you guys so much!!"

hightide
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
I tried the non +4 Marielle on my sharkfin guy and it pretty much sat on his withers. :( It didn't particularly work for me either.
Try Amerigo? You might be able to find a well loved one for your budget, and they tend to fit TBs well.

ThoroughbredFancy
Jan. 9, 2012, 11:14 PM
Look at Amerigo or Kieffer.

I have a Kieffer Arlene and it fit my TB wonderfully when I had him.

An Amerigo fit him well too but I ended up getting a better deal on the Kieffer and now I will not part with it. :)

vineyridge
Jan. 9, 2012, 11:49 PM
Some of the Kieffers look as though they might be cutbacks or partial cutbacks. Anyone know if they are?

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
I googled horses with shark fin withers and now I'm starting to think he doesn't have them. They are there, that's for sure. But maybe they are just long? IDK, see what you all think.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116639698150389552618/January92012?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnmqfjrno_mggE#5695858 038001953378

ace**
Jan. 10, 2012, 01:03 AM
I love my KenTaur saddle, and it fits my TB gelding like a glove. I also use a thinline sheepskin half pad under it. KenTaur's aren't that common in North America, but if you can find a dealer I think you can get a new one for around $2000 US (I bought mine in Canada).

Or try a used Passier jump saddle. Definately available in your price range.

wishnwell
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
He has long withers but borderline "shark fin" IMO
Still need to fit for them though.
We have a TB with Prominent withers and a short back...difficult to fit but have a Courbette Dressage saddle that fit nicely so I may look at a XC saddle by them as well.
Passier are supposed to be good for these guys.

Hawks Nest
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
I ended up with a stubben for my last tb, and he had a rather odd back. Fairly large withers, short and wide back, and a downhill slope. He fit well in a stubben edelweiss with a rear riser in my fleeceworks half pad. It was a MW and the only thing that ever fit him that well.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/33cc22aa11bb/confo2.png

Of course my current mare ended up loving a used devoucoux (my poor wallet) and she has a similar back but wider and more wither.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
Some of the Kieffers look as though they might be cutbacks or partial cutbacks. Anyone know if they are?

Yes, they are. I used them with great success on my shark finned boy and have always liked them.

17handponyrider
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
I just bought a used Berney Bros. Nothing else fit. They are hard to find used but they are inexpensive new. You can have one with a custom tree (from tracings) sent from Ireland for about $1,500. I love the fit on my horse and on myself. I guess the biggest problem I had was finding one to sit in to see if I could stand it.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
I just bought a used Berney Bros. Nothing else fit. They are hard to find used but they are inexpensive new. You can have one with a custom tree (from tracings) sent from Ireland for about $1,500. I love the fit on my horse and on myself. I guess the biggest problem I had was finding one to sit in to see if I could stand it.

I rode through Intermediate in by Berney Bros saddle, but my TB did not have sharp withers. I can attest to it being comfortable and secure.

There are some out there:
http://www.equinenow.com/english_saddle-ad-5100
and here is their website http://www.berneybrossaddles.com/store/

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Have tried Kieffer and I didn't like the way he acted with it (hollow, didn't want to go forward, complaining, and this horse NEVER complains)

Will try Amerigo.

Thanks guys, keep them coming! These are GREAT suggestions, you all are awesome!

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Also, there have been a bunch of other threads that have other suggestions:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318768&highlight=high+withers

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334151&highlight=high+withers

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314386&highlight=high+withers

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303630&highlight=high+withers

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277628&highlight=high+withers

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335907&highlight=shark

Clementine
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
I didn't read all of the replies so this might have already been mentioned, but I tried about 10 saddles on my high-withered TB before settling on the Jeffries JMX monoflap. I love it (and my horse seems to also!)

Heinz 57
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:59 AM
My guy has a somewhat similar shape, and he loves my Delgrange. I've seen a few floating around used for ~$1500, though it might take some hunting.

FLIPPED HER HALO
Jan. 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
I use the Dover Circuit saddle on my TB with withers like that. Comfortable and fits him perfectly.

jen-s
Jan. 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't consider those shark-fin, but they are long.

My fella with similar withers fits beautifully in a Toulouse Marielle. I've been borrowing my trainer's MW which was a demo a hundred years ago, but just ordered a wide (about an hour ago!) since the MW is a hair narrow. I haven't been willing to pay to ship saddles back and forth endlessly, so I feel doubly lucky that trainer had something that I could try. I had no plans to buy a Toulouse, much less a monoflap, but danged if it didn't fit Gus beautifully and both my eventing trainer and my dressage trainer were thrilled with the changes in my position. So, there you go. I only hope it arrives and is doesn't have the periodic quality control problems that I've heard happens with MT.

Good luck, OP, and I hope you find something that you and your horse both love!

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
But in regard to the Toulouse, you may want to read this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335995

Ainsley688
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
You poor, poor soul...your horse has a back similar to mine! I've been looking for a long enough time, that I now have a sad relationship with eBay and Horseclicks..lol!

If you find something, let me know! My problem is finding the width AND the wither clearance. It seems saddle makers have forgotten theat just because your horse is a wide or extra-wide, does not mean it's shaped like a sausage. They've also forgotten that just because your horse may have tall and/or long withers, does not mean that your horse is shaped like "A" all the way back.

Good luck!!

oldhorsegirl
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Amerigo fits this build very well.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
So now I've heard that the Toulouse Marielle tree sizes run a tad narrow from one person and run much wider from another. If I were to go with this http://www.smartpakequine.com/m-toulouse-marielle-4-monoflap-saddle-9875p.aspx would the Wide be too wide?

Just trying to get lots of opinions here. I still have to sell my other saddle first!

ace**
Jan. 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Can I suggest that you work with an online seller that will let you take a used saddle or a demo new saddle for a trial period before you buy? No one on the internet can tell you for sure which tree size and which brand will fit your horse by looking at a picture. Does SmartPak offer a trial period?

Some of these tack shops have saddle fitters that will ask you for pictures and wither tracings so they can help you get the best possible match even if they are long distance from you and can't measure your horse in person. My sister did this for one of her dressage saddles and it worked out quite well.

rhymeswithfizz
Jan. 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
I was told by my local master saddler that long withers require a wide, deep *gullet*. Tree size is tree size, but those long withered guys need more room in the gullet. Her suggestions of brands with this design were Albion and County. I went with a used Albion for my extremely long withered TB and it worked beautifully.

rhymeswithfizz
Jan. 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Here are some good images:
http://equineink.com/2008/06/28/evaluating-saddle-fit-gullet-width/

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
I currently have an Albion. Worked for a while, but he grew so I'm moving on. Have a County dressage saddle and it is great! Just can't fork out a bunch right now for a custom one.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
Honestly...that horse doesn't look like he would take a wide tree saddle at all.

You want a sidle with enough space in the gullet if his withers are on the thinker side. And you probably want shorter points on the tree or the tree to be set back and more open so he has freedom of the shoulder...but he certainly doesn't look like a wide from the picture.

I have a TB/WB cross...with HUGE shoulders and long withers. No wide tree would ever fit on him...he takes a Medium tree (with a wide gullet). He also needs a certain shape of tree to fit him correctly.

Your horse also has a more curvy shape to his back--although it is hard to tell in the picture.

Xanthoria
Jan. 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Nothing beats a Reactor Panel for high withers! They're very adjustable too - DIY.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
Honestly...that horse doesn't look like he would take a wide tree saddle at all.

Your horse also has a more curvy shape to his back--although it is hard to tell in the picture.

We had a saddle fitter do tracings and he takes a wide in most saddles, however he goes better in some that are MW.

LoveMyCharlie
Jan. 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
My guy has withers that are somewhat reminiscent of Mount Everest, and he has a short slightly swayed back (weird, I know) and I have a Corbette Futura that fits him like a glove, I tried a crosby on him and it pinched right above his shoulders and refused to get into any kind of trot with that saddle on. Put the corbette on him and no problems.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
So I'm bumping this back up with a new question. What are thoughts on the Amerigo DJ saddle? I found one in my size and my horse's size with an extra long flap. The flap looks more forward, but is not specified. I've ridden in the Vega and liked it, but the saddle was too wide for my horse. I've also heard that the trees can be adjusted a little? Those who have ridden in them, how do they ride? Balance point? I don't like big blocks at ALL, and the one I'm considering has normal to smaller blocks.
Thank you guys so much!!

wildlifer
Jan. 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
I have long and high withers and a horse who will not tolerate pressure on them. I recently discovered that only two things appease him -- Prestige (very uncomfy for me) and the Kent & Masters line out of Walsall, which were just gorgeous on his very TB back. Gobs of wither clearance, along with being adjustable and wool flocked, with lots of bearing surface. Nice to ride in, no huge external blocks, which I HATE, after the trial, I just ordered mine. Pretty reasonable too, at under $2K new.

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 27, 2012, 10:54 PM
I have long and high withers and a horse who will not tolerate pressure on them. I recently discovered that only two things appease him -- Prestige (very uncomfy for me) and the Kent & Masters line out of Walsall, which were just gorgeous on his very TB back. Gobs of wither clearance, along with being adjustable and wool flocked, with lots of bearing surface. Nice to ride in, no huge external blocks, which I HATE, after the trial, I just ordered mine. Pretty reasonable too, at under $2K new.

I originally had a Prestige Nona Garson when I first got my boy at 4yrs old. He GREW and changed shape. But before he outgrew it, he really liked it and it was wonderful to ride in. Will look up the K&M saddles. Particular model?

ALSO would like to add that I have a moderately long femur and am 6ft tall, so I have to fit too :)

KateWooten
Jan. 28, 2012, 05:41 PM
Trumbull Mountain have the KM saddles in now, so you can take advantage of their generous trial period, and their excellent in-house fitting service. Just send the tracings and pics off to Kitt and see what she comes back with. (I know, I sound like an ad for TM, but honestly, they are such a useful resource to have)

TheBrightSide06
Jan. 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Trumbull Mountain have the KM saddles in now, so you can take advantage of their generous trial period, and their excellent in-house fitting service. Just send the tracings and pics off to Kitt and see what she comes back with. (I know, I sound like an ad for TM, but honestly, they are such a useful resource to have)

Thanks! That's where I got my Albion from. Will take a look!