PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Bit Legality (& Function) Question, for Dressage Phase

Zoomd
Jan. 9, 2012, 12:04 PM
upon perusing the bitting questions around lately, someone posted a link to this bit:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/hppy-mth-k%2fd-pro-ribbd-mln-mth/p/X1-01125/#ProductTabs

I have already explored the rules for dressage bitting to try and find a statement that said something about it being a "smooth" plastic piece, and have been unsuccessful. Anyone know if it would matter that this bit is ribbed?

Also, how do you think this would change the horse's way of going? My mare is so sensitive, anything thats not plastic (as much as I HATE these plastic thick bits) cuts into her mouth. But she is a hard leaner on one side, and requires a dee for arrogant big chestnut mare steering disagreements.

Would love to hear some advice on bitting her, as well as knowing about the ribbed bit.

Hilary
Jan. 9, 2012, 01:11 PM
I would think this would not fly because the metal bits must be smooth. What is the purpose of the ridges? I can't get the window to open for more explanation.

I am concerned that you say she gets rubs from anything other than plastic and that she is a puller. Won't you end up pulling more with a more gentle bit? Or is she allergic to the metals?

OR will the ridges move around in her mouth and cause sores as well? This does not look like a mild bit to me.

Why do you think it will work for her better than a smooth plastic one?

Janet
Jan. 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
No, A ribbed bit is NOT legal.

I agree the wording could be clearer- the "rounded and smooth" refers to ALL bits, not just double jointed ones.
Permitted Snaffles
An ordinary snaffle is a plain snaffle with a straight bar or joint in the center. If a snaffle has two
joints, all parts must be rounded and smooth

Zoomd
Jan. 9, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thats what I figured on the smoothness, thanks! Hilary, I would worry the ridges would still irritate her. She's so strong it's been a challenge to find something that gives me enough half halt, but also doesn't affect her sensitive skin. Ugh chestnuts..

Hilary
Jan. 9, 2012, 06:44 PM
Well my sensitive chestnut goes in a regular black rubber (over metal) D ring. She's chewed it to just her liking - which always makes me wonder b/c it sure isn't smooth anymore. But it started that way so it IS legal.

Have you tried something like that? The weight of the metal might give you enough heft to make the half-halt work? There was a method to the old madness.