PDA

View Full Version : Roarers Who Event

EAY
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
I don't know much about eventing so I came here to ask this question. Could a roarer have a future as an eventer? I ask this because we have a beautiful 5-year-old, lightly raced mare who, though she's been in the money every times she's been out, has a limited future in racing as her breathing issue limits the distance she can go. She's nicely bred but we'll probably not keep her as a broodmare because of concern that her sire might have the tendency to throw roarers.

She's a very nice mover, well balanced and correct, and has a big heart, and I was wondering if maybe we should try to find her an eventing home. I realize that her breathing issues would probably limit her ability to handle upper level cross country courses. She only roars when she gallops so it shouldn't be an issue in dressage.

So is it unusual to see roarers in eventing land?

BALANCEky
Jan. 8, 2012, 04:05 PM
I evented a roarer years ago but we stayed in the lower levels and was careful careful careful. I had my vet scope him to make sure he was able to breath and there wasn't an actual obstruction (he had slight scar tissue buildup from tie back surgery when he was on the track). I had to be observant and condition him well so he wouldn't be winded on cross country and watched hot, humid weather conditions because he was restricted on the amount of air he pulled in compared to a normal horse.

I evented him because he would have never passed a pre-purchase exam so selling wasn't really an option. I am thankful because he was a BLAST!

mugsgame
Jan. 8, 2012, 04:16 PM
I knew a very talented roarer but he would never have gone above Prelim level as just would not have been able to cope with the increased endurance and speed needed. You could hear it coming round the cross country course!

He was a big horse and had already been hobdayed. Shame as he was a homebred and supposed to go racing but his wind was not good enough.

Highflyer
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:15 PM
Not necessarily an issue (or unusual) for lower levels-- depends on the severity of course, but most horses don't work hard enough at Novice/ Training to get into trouble.

JMarcyQuay
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
I event an ex-roarer. Grade 3, made it up through training level, had very obvious and severe exercise intolerance -- got tieback with vocal chords removed, never looked back. Been two years without complications and he's done Prelim and Intermediate and finished fast and fit.

ltmac
Jan. 8, 2012, 07:39 PM
One of the guys in our barn, who is now retired due to a different injury, evented up to Prelim with some 1*s and finally had tie-back surgery. Recovered in no time and was back in the game!

Heliodoro
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
My trainer's horse is a roarer, he does quite well at Training level. He'd just not scopey enough to do Prelim. And he sounds like a fire-breathing dragon on your neck when she hunts him behind you!

Savvyupgirl
Jan. 9, 2012, 09:33 PM
I know at least one roarer who has done a 4*.

southerneventgirl
Jan. 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Jim Graham's old partner Easter Parade who competed thru the highest levels was a roarer.
I think it all depends on the degree of obstruction, their maintaince and fitness and what you do or dont mind hearing all the way across the XC field.

Best of luck!