PDA

View Full Version : Selling Horses

gold2012
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:45 PM
I have a couple questions:

1. How do you think a "Horse Fair" would work. IE, once a month, find a place, and bring horses that are for sale. Make sure it has a dressage arena, some xc jumps, some stadium jumps, and let people see horses that are for sale. Either make arrangements to go to the barn later that week for a ride, or try to find a way to get insurance to allow people to ride? I have a couple really nice horses for sale, but because it's one horse, one place, can't seem to get people to come look see. They would rather go see many, at a BNT's. I figure if it is advertised, and done on a day when not much is going on, say a Monday, it might work. Gives a venue that everyone from the breeder, to the big seller can take a horse too, and get several viewers, and the rescue organizations to bring out horses they have. Do you think it would work if advertised enough? I live in Ocala, seems a great place to do it....How often?

2. WOULD you go to one of those to LOOK for a horse? Why, why not? Would you go if only allowed to ride, or would you be willing to make appointments and go later.

Thanks.

Jagged
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
Gold, You should check out the Aiken Event Horse Sale.

It is a lot like what you just described... and has had moderate success.

gold2012
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I didn't know about that, so will go check it out as well.

horsetales
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:06 PM
Its a great idea and glad to see someone drop the term auction. I think once a month is too often, but maybe quarterly or twice a year. Most US sport horse buyers seem to go looking for cheap prices, so its been hard to get sellers with quality animals on board. I think you would have to get the "flavor" of European sales or TB/standardbred sales that bring in serious buyers.

gold2012
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:31 PM
Its a great idea and glad to see someone drop the term auction. I think once a month is too often, but maybe quarterly or twice a year. Most US sport horse buyers seem to go looking for cheap prices, so its been hard to get sellers with quality animals on board. I think you would have to get the "flavor" of European sales or TB/standardbred sales that bring in serious buyers.

Yes, I am thinking it would need to be hosted at a very serious eventing facility. Perhaps Longwood would be up for it. I think the beginning of the year, perhaps mid February next year, as itwould take time to get ir organized and advertised, and sponsored. Perhaps in conjunction with a YEH competition or something. Please send ideas, or offers of help to me, and if you would like to help organize let me know.

We need to do something, so we can maybe quit losing all the sales to Europe, and perhaps garner more sales for some of our breeders and small trainers (like us) here.

gold2012
Jan. 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
So, Spoke with Longwood, and they are all in.....plus a few other breeders, trainers, etc. Please post ideas of what would encourage you to come, things you would like to see, demonstrations, etc...thx. FYI, tis would NOT be an auction, but rather a place to bring your horses, and show them to prospective buyers. I don't like auctions. I think you end up not getting what the horse is worth, or paying too much, and that isn't the spirit of what we want, but rather, an opening of dialogue with all people who have horses for sale. We speak of HAVING to go to Europe to find horses, maybe this will give people a place to try here....I dunno, but sure appreciate any ideas anyone might have. If you think you would be interested in bringing horses, please let me know what you would need in way of...? thanks.

deltawave
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
Along these same lines, wouldn't it be nice for there to be some sort of means of showcasing horses for sale at events? With, perhaps, opportunities at the end of the weekend for people to try these horses over some jumps or have them examined by vets? I know it's do-able already and that it happens, but I wonder if making it something that the organizers emphasized and made allowances for wouldn't be something to benefit everyone? Maybe even make designations in the program and announcement that "Horse #214, Joe Bob, ridden by Martha Stewart, is offered for sale. They are stabled in barn 12".

judybigredpony
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
Are you going to allow potential buyers to Try the horses at the Venue?? How do you determine if they can actually ride??

I brought this up several times and it went no where.....you need 3 days Friday Sat Sun...to allow potential buyers to view horses in hand one day @ work and 3rd day to vet or try......

Get a lawyer to draw up good contract so no parties can put anything back on organizers

Doing it several times a year run by same people but diffrent locals or Areas, charge a flat fee have a quality on line and hard copy catalogues. Publish as close to sale as possible to insure horses are not sold Pre venue.

Having several Vet services available or a repository(computer w/ CD's) like the TB sales have where current x-rays can be viewed

Having a few DVD players and a DVD library where you can view horses previous outings or owners can provide DVD/CD they made of horse is also helpful. Or computer where you can pull it up by catalogue #.

To much hassel maybe???

Commissions taxes liabilty insurance venue rental food stabling permits???

Or maybe just a show n tell???

Maybe even make designations in the program and announcement that "Horse #214, Joe Bob, ridden by Martha Stewart, is offered for sale. They are stabled in barn 12". Works great as long as he doesn't leave his rider in the water jump and run off :)

deltawave
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
That's the chance you take for free advertising! :lol:

OverandOnward
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:57 PM
Early publicity - even months ahead, let people get the idea in their brains. Allow time for horse-sellers advertise themselves, "Turnip will be available for sale at The Horse Fair in November, and can be seen in Novice divisions at This Event and That One Too." That increases publicity for the fair on two fronts - that there is a horse fair, and what sort of horses can be expected. :)

If Turnip sells beforehand and never goes to the horse fair, that's fine. Another novice-level horse will come along to take Turnip's place. The heads-up is the point. :yes:

gold2012
Jan. 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
Early publicity - even months ahead, let people get the idea in their brains. Allow time for horse-sellers advertise themselves, "Turnip will be available for sale at The Horse Fair in November, and can be seen in Novice divisions at This Event and That One Too." That increases publicity for the fair on two fronts - that there is a horse fair, and what sort of horses can be expected. :)

If Turnip sells beforehand and never goes to the horse fair, that's fine. Another novice-level horse will come along to take Turnip's place. The heads-up is the point. :yes:

I agree...definetly! Already got a website, will work on it this week. But I do think this is a great idea.

BestHorses
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
Along these same lines, wouldn't it be nice for there to be some sort of means of showcasing horses for sale at events? With, perhaps, opportunities at the end of the weekend for people to try these horses over some jumps or have them examined by vets? I know it's do-able already and that it happens, but I wonder if making it something that the organizers emphasized and made allowances for wouldn't be something to benefit everyone? Maybe even make designations in the program and announcement that "Horse #214, Joe Bob, ridden by Martha Stewart, is offered for sale. They are stabled in barn 12".

When I used to event as a kid in area 2 (back in the days of penalty zones) they used to mark horses for sale in the program with an asterisk next to the name. Made life so much easier. Not sure why that died out...

deltawave
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
I have it in my head from somewhere that at some point in time, somewhere, horses who wore quarter marks were for sale.