PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddle search

Rainier
Jan. 8, 2012, 03:14 AM
I am selling my KN Symphonie (the 2nd I've had) and am in search of a new/used saddle for my horse who is built uphill, but with a flat back.

The new wintec isabell looks potentially appealing, but i have been a solid leather saddle snob in the past. I'm looking at used albions, vegas, dominus, etc. (I have a vega monoflap jumping saddle), but then started to wonder whether I should consider a new isabell? I did ride in a friend's older model and it felt too restrictive, but I've read that the newer ones are a bit more open?

What have those of you that have tried them thought? Would it be worth considering over a leather saddle? Should I continue to look at the more expensive used saddles?

Hampton Bay
Jan. 8, 2012, 04:14 AM
Bates and Wintec trees are prone to cracking at the tree points, and the company is horrific to deal with if that happens. If you bought it used or don't have your receipt, they won't even talk to you.

I would stick with one of the reputable brands. Albion is good. I've had a lot of luck with Lauriche for my uphill and flat-backed boy. He loves it so much he refuses to be ridden in saddles he used to really like. Vega and Dominus tend to fit the curvier types better than the flat types.

not again
Jan. 8, 2012, 06:51 AM
Stubben works for me. Love the tree and the fit on your type of horse.

Rainier
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
Stubben works for me. Love the tree and the fit on your type of horse.

That is interesting. I had Stubbens for my curvy-backed thoroughbreds, but they didn't seem to fit this guy with his flatter topline. Maybe it depends on the model? Which one(s) would you suggest?

leahandpie
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:59 PM
The isabelle has a very wide twist + deep seat, so it will feel much different from your KN. (Narrow twist, open seat)

I have an early model Dominus that is great for high withers, and it rides similarly to a Neidersuss in the twist, however it has a deeper seat. The panels are shaped like an Amerigo (both saddles were designed by Peter Menet). I have loved it!! It looks and feels like a much more expensive saddle.

I'm actually selling it b/c my young horse has filled out and needs a M/W now. It is a 17 Med. PM me if you are interested in pics :)

Hampton Bay
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
IME Stubben won't fit the flatter profile. At least I've yet to see one that would.

Barnsby tends to fit that shape well too if you find one that will clear the withers. Some of them are lower in the pommel.

Fairfax, the leather version of Thorowgood, might also work. They can be pretty wide in the twist though if that matters to you. But they are adjustable by gullet plates like the Wintecs, and they come in 3 different tree shapes to fit different horses.

not again
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
I have a very old Tristan which does not have the huge panels or blocks (which I relate to a mattress saddle, jousting saddle or a barcalounger :eek:). I have on order a Genesis Special D which is on a more high tech tree, same type stuffing and no thigh or knee blocks. Our home breds tend to have a very strong loin connection and do not need a saddle which puts undue pressure behind the midpoint of the saddle.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jan. 8, 2012, 03:53 PM
I have a St. Lourdes magnus, everyone who sits in it loves it. They seem to work well on the flatter backed types - though I was able to get it flocked for my guy who has a bit of a curve.