PDA

View Full Version : Horse living tied to pole

dyonder
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:13 PM
I am in NC, and tonight discovered a horse up the hill from my barn apparently living (for a few days at least) tied to a power pole on a l-o-n-g rope. I'd say he can do about a 20m circle around that pole if he (or she) doesn't get tangled.

He did have hay (a so-so round bale), water, and salt. And he was wearing a blanket.

But he is skinny under a blanket (which was on despite the fact that it was 70 degrees today), his feet are awful, he has rope burns on his ankles, and the blanket fit so badly that it was really tight around his shoulders. And he has no shelter at all.

We've had dog trouble with these neighbors in the past, and there has been violence (shooting!) up there a few years ago. I will call animal control in the a.m., but what to do if they don't do anything? Anyone have suggestions?

enjoytheride
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:16 PM
Call the police tonight and meet them there. Maybe they can release the horse to you and animal control can investigate in the morning.

BEARCAT
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:22 PM
I doubt AC will be able to do anything, but at least there will be a record if anything happens down the road.
there are 2 horses living tied to a trailer in a nearby neighborhood. AC was called and came to take a look but could not intervene as it was not illegal.

Mr.GMan
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:22 PM
call Animal Control as well as the USERL. USERL may be able to help you out too.

catosis
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:29 PM
call Animal Control as well as the USERL. USERL may be able to help you out too.

USERL is awesome. If you can get pictures of the horse, email them to that organization. They are very determined to help.

archieflies
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
If having horses staked out was illegal, our local AC would be completely overwhelmed and more than half the people on my road would be in jail (they probably should be for various reasons anyway...). If a horse has food and water, there is nothing AC is going to do about it. I'm not saying this is a good way to keep horses, but having a horse tied up isn't necessarily cruelty (that 20 M circle is a lot bigger than your average stall, right?). Around here, we see lots of horses staked out along the highway so they can eat the green grass by the road. I fear them getting tangled, or breaking free and running into the road... but there's still nothing illegal about it. How about talking to your neighbors and asking about the horse's story? If you just discovered it, there could be all sorts of reasons... perhaps they just acquired it on a whim (perhaps out of sympathy for the poor creature) and didn't know where else to put it for the time being. Or maybe they don't have a clue what they're doing and need help. Automatically trying to get them in legal trouble without even knowing who they are is a bit rough.

wildlifer
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
USERL is very active in NC. You can even just give them the address and they will check it out. Take pictures of everything if you can.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:46 PM
Way more than half the people here stake their horses out. The few I talked to had no clue it was a bad idea until I told them I won't do it and why. I had never seen it done until I moved here.

But despite it being a really bad idea, it's not illegal. Most of those who do it are desperate for some grass in this drought, or just aren't very educated about horses.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:49 PM
ahh, and oops - based on this, ignore my reply to EqT in her thread! If you want to volunteer your old solar charger and electric fencing to your neighbors, or otherwise befriend them and see if there is any way to form a mutual aid society, go for it. But -

I know I laugh at myself remembering how I would sometime be frustrated as a boarder to find my horse naked in the cold, or blanketed in the warm sun. Now I do my best guess when I leave the farm in the early morning cold. Days that I leave the tb's blanketed and come home to find them too warm I shake my head and mutter about how hard it is to find good help these days...

There may be laws about having shelter available to horses, but I'm picturing what shelter these neighbors might put up and thinking that's not the core issue, eh?

Clearly, I've got no real advice for you - just wanted to retract my thoughts based on the picture I had formed that this was a roadside abandoned horse rather than one living by different standards than we have...

cadance
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:31 AM
*facepalm*. sounds like everyone has some good suggestions, calling the regular police couldn't hurt either to gather evidence and have a filed report of this, in case there are any future violations by the same people. Good luck!

dani0303
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hmm I'm wondering where you are in NC because this describes a horse to a t that was up the road from where I used to live. I called AC and apparently they "investigated" but I never saw any change, other than the horse was no longer tied within view of the road.

magnolia73
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
It's illegal in Meck County to have a dog tied up outside. I guess a lot depends on the laws where ya live. Salt, hay, a blanket and water sound more like not knowing what horses can do if they get tangled in a line than someone purposefully hurting/starving/neglecting.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 8, 2012, 07:08 PM
In my experience, AC cant do much. You are better off calling the police. I called AC about a dog locked in a car on a hot humid July day, and they patched me through to police. There has got to be a law about containment for livestock that concerns the police, AC only seem to have power over animal cruelty, which needs to be very extreme to warrant action.

piaffequeen
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
Call AC immediately-keep after them-Moore County where I live is really good. Contact USERL and maybe other equine rescues? Where are you located?

archieflies
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:13 PM
IThere has got to be a law about containment for livestock that concerns the police,

Interestingly, here in Texas there is no legal obligation to fence your livestock in-- it is the landowners responsibility to fence other animals OUT. As in, I could let my horses roam, and my neighbors couldn't complain if my mare got hungry and ate their garden. :) No clue about NC though.

GoForAGallop
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
Interestingly, here in Texas there is no legal obligation to fence your livestock in-- it is the landowners responsibility to fence other animals OUT. As in, I could let my horses roam, and my neighbors couldn't complain if my mare got hungry and ate their garden. :) No clue about NC though.

Most of the "range" states are "fence out" states due to the huge property sizes.

Not so for most of the East coast states, where I can promise you that entire neighborhoods of happy suburban familys would be aghasted if ponies were allowed to roam free and damage expensive landscaping. :lol:

wildlifer
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:36 AM
It's not the pole-tying that would concern me. Not my style, but not really prosecutable. It's the underweight, neglected feet and untended rope wounds that are the problem as any of those DO constitute abuse.

wishnwell
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:54 AM
This just makes me so sad....I was going to state that I couldn't imagine that tying a horse to a stake was legal, but after reading all the replys where clearly it is "ok", I'm speechless.

CdnRider
Jan. 9, 2012, 09:51 AM
A neighbourhood that I lived in, 2 of my neighbours did this without any problems. If I tried this (not that I would) my horses would do unreparable damage to themselves. Both of my neighbours horses were well fed and only allowed this during the day for short periods.

shawnee_Acres
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:45 AM
Would I do this, never! But it is not illegal and the fact the horse has hay, water, salt and a blanket it will be very hard to get anything done by the "authorities". Perhaps USERL can "educate" the owners, but doubtful they can actually confiscate the horse unless it is in very bad shape. Also be careful about actually going up and checking the condition of the horse "under the blanket" especially if those people have a history of shooting! At worst you could get slapped with trespassing