PDA

View Full Version : studs in front or behind?

Hampton Bay
Jan. 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
I keep my Arab in Eponas in front, but I've got a second pair to shoe him behind too because the dirt roads I ride on can have some pretty nasty gravel.

The pair he's been wearing in front are the plain ones. The second pair have the carbide at the toe and stud mounts at the heel.

Should I use the studs in front or behind?

The roads are hard clay with gravel, and the very occasional paved or possibly-paved section. I also ride him on grass. Mostly it's flat or nearly flat, but we do have a few decent hills too.

Highflyer
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:01 PM
I've always been taught that it's okay to do only hinds but not only fronts.

That said, I'm not sure you would need them on gravel/ dirt roads? My horse is shod all around in steel during the eventing season, and I generally only feel like studs are necessary when we are doing something that involves sharp turns. I hack down the road to the park (walk on paved roads/ trot or canter on gravel trail) a lot, and since I would walk on the paved sections anyway I have never felt like studs were required.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
I was thinking hinds instead of fronts.

The reason I wanted to try studs is because our clay roads are HARD. With the drought and daily log trucks, it's just shy of pavement. Sometimes he seems to need a bit more traction, especially up and down hills. The reason for using Eponas is to protect him from the gravel. I don't expect studs to help with that particular issue, as this is horse-eating gravel. The smaller rocks end up becoming part of the clay road, leaving the bigger rocks to bruise hooves.

Given that hunting season seems to last at least half the year, I'm sorta stuck on the roads if I want to ride outside the small pasture.

deltawave
Jan. 7, 2012, 04:22 PM
If he's slipping on the hard road, start out with just behind and see how he does. You can always go to four wheel drive if you have to. :)

Hampton Bay
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:46 PM
I put them on the hinds. If that doesn't help, I can always order new shoes for the fronts too. Hopefully this makes him a bit more sure of himself so he's not trotting like he's got a stick up his hiney :lol:

Outyougo
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
I have good success when the shoer used Borium on nail heads.

My horse is too big to go barefoot or he becomes a Sashquash

sunhawk
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:08 AM
Why not put tapped holes in all four shoes, and then just put studs in which ever you need, or pack the holes with oily cotton batting if you aren't using them. Then you have the option of changing the grip to whatever works best.

southerneventgirl
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:47 AM
I always start off with just hind studs. Only if the horse really needs them and if he is good with his feet do I out them on in front. At least having hind stands gives them more push since that is where the engine comes from.

southerneventgirl
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
But I always use stud holes and take them in and out, I don't leave them in or have them put on the shoes. Too much of a chance to me of them stepping on themselves.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
Why not put tapped holes in all four shoes, and then just put studs in which ever you need, or pack the holes with oily cotton batting if you aren't using them. Then you have the option of changing the grip to whatever works best.

You can't add the stud holes to the Eponas. You have to buy the ones with stud mounts molded into the shoe. He already had a plain pair when I decided he needed to be shod all around and that he might benefit from some added traction.

Borium nails wouldn't work well in the Eponas. The nails are recessed a bit. These do have carbide grips at the toe though which are supposed to help a lot. I got some flat road studs and then some a little bigger, not huge by any stretch, so I'll play around with the flat ones first and see how that helps.