PDA

View Full Version : Eventing barns Huntsville Al area

Romahorse
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:36 AM
Any recommendations for eventing trainers/barns in the Huntsville/Athens AL area?
I am aware of Debi Crowley/Cotton Meadows & Jennifer Ohmes/Arcadia Farm.

scubed
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:13 PM
I highly recommend Debi. A bit further is Jim Graham in Florence.

Auburn
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:37 PM
Jim Graham's farm is Meadow Run Farm. He is on the Huntsville side of Florence.

Melevents
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
Debi Crowley, Jim Graham and Jenn Ohmes are the only eventing barns in the area. I have known all of them for years, and they all are great. There are however, a few dressage barns that are fantastic, as well as fox hunting facilities. There are not too many discipline specific boarding facilities around, but a lot of private farms. That being said, I know nothing about the western world. I am an eventer and I have boarded at a dressage barn for years in the Huntsville area.

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:58 AM
Has anyone heard of a former Mississippian and Jim Graham student named Candace Wheeler in Florence? Last I heard she was at something called Cedar Ridge Equestrian Center. A couple of years ago she was coming back to Jackson often to give clinics.

Cedar Ridge says (in a very scanty website) that they have pony club out of their barn.

southerneventgirl
Jan. 8, 2012, 11:30 AM
What about Susan Wrainwright? Not sure where she is in AL but have always heard great things.

TKR
Jan. 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
Judith Fiorentino/Steel Prize Stables have been there for years. She used to event alot,now is more dressage, but I think she has eventing students. Nice facility. Susan Wainwright is too far -- in Montgomery.
PennyG

RayRay
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:47 PM
Judith's barn is now exclusively dressage. She has sold her stadium jumps.

I board and ride at Debi Crowley's and highly recommend Cotton Meadows Farm. There is a great indoor arena, stadium ring, and lower level cross country jumps.

There are eventers in the area but there aren't a lot of barns specializing in eventing.

Dale Area 1
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
Judith's barn is now exclusively dressage. She has sold her stadium jumps.

I board and ride at Debi Crowley's and highly recommend Cotton Meadows Farm. There is a great indoor arena, stadium ring, and lower level cross country jumps.

There are eventers in the area but there aren't a lot of barns specializing in eventing.

RayRay... also board with Debi. Boarder that like Chestnuts :)

Debi and Cotton Meadows is simply the best in the area. A year ago when I was looking for a farm before I moved, I received recommendations from folks here. Went to all the farms, met the trainres, staff, etc. Cotton Meadows was the obvious Best facility, care, training, and wonderful turnout.

When I moved, I picked the farm first, then went house hunting based on the distance to work and the barn. Yes I am very close to Steel Prize, but I board at Cotton Meadows and train with Debi.

Good Luck with the move.

SweetieG
Jan. 9, 2012, 12:04 AM
Roma/Viney

Candace Wheeler does teach out of Cedar Ridge Equestrian Center which is in Florence less than a mile from Jim Graham's. I am in Jackson, and she was just here this weekend teaching. I really can't say enough positive things about her. I wish I could ride with her more often. She is an amazing teacher and horseperson. She is very gifted. I swear she can read my mind and my mare's! She has an amazing ability to meet you where you are no matter the level.

OP, not sure how far Florence is from you but I would definitely check in to training with her before making your decision.

Susan wainwright is also an excellent choice but she is south of Montgomery which may be too far for you. When I lived in Birmingham I had my horse in training with her and drove down for lessons when I could.

I also tried a horse of Debi crowleys several years ago. She was nice to work with and have heard good things about her program.

atheventer85
Jan. 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Debbie Crowley I thought was doing a lot more dressage too. Susan Wainwright (and her FAB barn manager Annie Aul!) are in Montgomery. Bryan Tweed is in Decatur which is very close to Huntsville. He's great! Jim Graham, is obviously a legend as well :)

Dale Area 1
Jan. 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
Debi still events and is bringing up a few sale horses through the levels. She also has a a few dressage horses that she is training and showing. One started this year at training level and finished at 2nd with scores in the 70s :) One of her horses is competing at Advance with Werner at Poplar Place.

BTW -- I have a jumping lesson tonight :)

Cruiser12
Jan. 9, 2012, 07:56 PM
cotton meadows facilities are very nice

RayRay
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
Depending where the OP is living, Florence is over an hour drive from Huntsville and Birmingham is at least 1 1/2 hours away. Jim Graham is great and he has a great place to school cross country. It's a bit too far for me to drive on a daily basis to get to my horse. But it is a great place to trailer to for a lesson and cross country schooling when needed.

Debi is still eventing, but mostly bringing her youngsters up through the lower levels. She does have eventing students and does lots of trips for cross country schooling.

Love those chestnuts :)

Dale Area 1
Jan. 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks RayRay :)

My jumping lesson was AWESOME tonight. Had a fabulous breakthrough moment!