PDA

View Full Version : Lexington KY area folks--King and MIcklem reports?

vineyridge
Jan. 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
Who is going to the Mary King Area 8 clinics?

And who is going to hear William Micklem at MSEDA?

We're going to need reports from both.

The MSEDA hasn't sold many tickets for William, so if you CAN make the time for him, there's probably still room available.

PonyGal08
Jan. 6, 2012, 09:16 PM
Who is going to the Mary King Area 8 clinics?

And who is going to hear William Micklem at MSEDA?

We're going to need reports from both.

The MSEDA hasn't sold many tickets for William, so if you CAN make the time for him, there's probably still room available.

I'm going to both. Mary's seminars tomorrow and William's next weekend. :D

secretariat
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
Attended Area VIII Mary King seminar all day Saturday and dinner/awards ceremony Saturday nite.

My complements to the Area VIII council, well done and well attended! Doubt I'll go to any marathon 12 hour sessions in the future, tho.

My congratulations to Cathy Wieschoff as our next Area VIII chair, an excellent selection who I expect to make a major impact on area operations. Everyone needs to send Cathy a note offering to help/volunteer. My thanks to Christine for her efforts and support over the past 3 years.

Mary King was outstanding, in spite of using very few AV aids/support. More pictures, even if as background while she talked, would be an improvement. Her wit, self-deprecating style, and knowledge kept the audience in rapt attention all day - a VERY difficult task.

My major takeaways:
1. Her training style is quiet insistence, with immediate correction when necessary. A "good boy" and a pat are at least as important when they do something right as punishment when they misbehave. BRAVO!

2. Her recommended riding style is quiet, balanced, and "stay out of the horses way." "Keep your bum out of the saddle on XC." Again, BRAVO!! Fascinating to see her riding syle develop in the chronological videos shown, and her comments on her developing techniques.

3. When she teaches (clinics only, 8-10 a year, no individual lessons), the major faults she sees consistently are loss of control of upper body (going forward too far/too early) and poor leg position/foundation (leg falling behind). A good lesson for all of us.

4. She is not a fan of additives, supplements, etc. She relies on her feed supplier to provide the right compounding.

5. She is not a fan of chiropracty or accupuncture.

6. She always uses studs in her horses, sometimes just a single outside in young'ns (but I'll remind the board that her "novice" is our "preliminary").

7. She does not use liniment, ice, or poultice on a healthy horse except at a 3-day to improve their chances on Sunday I was astonished by this. If nothing else, ice and poultice can't hurt!. I'd be very sceptical, except for her track record.

8. Her horses are turned out in October and return to work in January.

9. She backs her babies lightly as long 3 year olds, and doesn't jump them until 4. She emphasized that, in her opinion, long term soundness can be impacted by stressful exercise too early. She does very little with her babies (except normal management, e.g., farrier, handling/turnout, vax) until then, and they live out without rugs as wooly caterpillars.

10. She believes a significant amount of thoroughbred is necessary for speed/gallop, but is using a small amount (25%?) of "European" (warmblood) in her breeding program.

Hopefully, I didn't fat finger any of her major points!

FoxChaser
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
The thing I would point out about her lack of post-show leg management is that the footing in England is very, very different than what we've got here. Much of what we show on here in KY is like concrete in comparison. Her horses do only 2 three-day events a year, the rest are one-days. She said that if the ground were hard, she would pull out of an event (1-days) since there are so many other opportunities to run. We certainly never iced any of our fox hunters and I'm sure they had much harder days than many eventers. It really isn't that surprising. I also liked her comment that she didn't want to mask a potential injury by treating it before any swelling showed up. Seems like forgotten good horse sense ;)

BALANCEky
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the recap, secretariat! I have been a like thinker for years and it killed me to miss such an awesome opportunity but sometimes farm life gets in the way. New to Chronicle forums but could get hooked on this section!

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
She seems to have a rather minimalist approach to horse management and also seems to be keeping to the competition schedule that was used in long format days. Her horses seem to hold up quite well to her approach.

If she only runs a horse in two three days per year, compare that to competition schedules of the Pros here. I'll bet a LOT of eyes were opened by her approach compared to what we do here.

Although she didn't quite follow this schedule this past year with 150k at stake. :)

Of course I do beat the number of competitions drum a lot. :)

Thanks a bunch for the report, Secretariat.

pony grandma
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the recap, secretariat!

d.i.t.t.o.

likewise we never post treated our horses legs after miles of 4,6,8 hr trail rides. My DD was shocked when she went to an area event camp when she was 12 and saw people packing hooves after a 45 min ring ride! Because of the terrain riding we've done our horses legs are tight and strong. And they're barefoot if possible too. Not saying don't be cautious. We now have a really nice youngster that is coming along that we take far more precautions with and at certain venues the course footing is not deep woods mulch soft!

Curious about the chiropractic. Does she think horses self correct with rolling and playtime bucks? I can see some voodoo practice may be involved with some chiro but I've seen positive results other times.

PonyGal08
Jan. 8, 2012, 04:20 PM
Just to add to secretariat's recap...

- Mary was not apposed to ice, just with England's good footing, she doesn't feel it's needed except at the big three days. If the ground is hard she knows there will be another one later in the week. She mentioned that it's easy for the riders to demand good footing because it's so easy for the riders to take their business elsewhere. As far as "ice tight" or poultice, Mary feels she would rather see a potential injury early on versus covering it up and risking the horse getting a worse injury. Her pet peeve: people who poultice and cover it with cellophane... keeps too much heat on the leg.

- Three year olds are brought in as long three year olds during the down time (Oct - Dec). They're gradually introduced to tack by first getting to used to having blankets put on and off. After they're used to the blankets they wear tack. From there Mary introduces the youngin's to voice commands by lunging in the center courtyard of her yard. The area is concrete so the babies don't act up too much because they're unsure of the footing. The babies are also ponied off of a seasoned horse they know. Mary finds that way the babies stick to their buddy and rarely act up. If so, she knots the end of the line so she has something to hold on to. She also starts laying over their backs during this time. Then they're chucked back out until late in their four year old year.

- Late in their four year old year, the babies are worked again during the down time and get a refresher course from the previous year. Then Mary starts riding them teaching them all the basics. What I found interesting is that she uses her neckstrap not only as something to hold on to, but it's also used to teach the babies about stopping. She wants to keep out of their mouths as much as possible. Mary introduces jumps at this point, keeping the jumps small and simple. Then they're left alone till the middle of their five year old year when they're put in to a more rigorous training schedule and are eventually taken to some shows.

I, like many, was so surprised to hear how small her operation is. Her property is about three acres, but she only keeps a small number of horses in training. Less than 10! Crazy!

The only part that was a bit underwhelming was Mary's breeding program. She professes to not know very much, but she obviously has such lovely mares, and she chooses of stallions was based on who is popular at the time and that's still the case.

Mary was wonderful to listen to and was so gracious to everyone. It was amazing!

So much was covered, check out Samantha Clark's recaps on EN (www.eventingnation.com). :)

RedRyderKy
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:15 PM
I thought Mary King's view of Chiropratic care was only if the horse had an obvious problem but not as a regular "maintenance" program. She very much emphasized riding the horse straight from the very beginning. This perhaps lessens the need for chiropractic care?

Great Recap Secretariat!

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks, folks. BIG THANKS!

Now if, in the capitol of American TBs, William Micklem talks about breeding and what to look for in an event OTTB, wouldn't that be a fine addition to the January horse extravaganza.

PonyGal08
Jan. 8, 2012, 06:36 PM
I thought Mary King's view of Chiropratic care was only if the horse had an obvious problem but not as a regular "maintenance" program. She very much emphasized riding the horse straight from the very beginning. This perhaps lessens the need for chiropractic care?

Great Recap Secretariat!

You're correct. She's not totally opposed to chiro/physo work, just not weekly sessions for no apparent need.

Viney, any particular questions you'd like asked?

Mudroom
Jan. 9, 2012, 01:37 PM
Here is Samantha Clark's blog on the event:

http://www.eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/