PDA

View Full Version : Rolex (cabin) fever! Yee-Haw!

Jumpin_Horses
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
who else already has tickets?

this will be my second year, and Im SO excited about going again

ddashaq
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:39 AM
One of my friends is coming down and bought our tickets 2 months ago in a fit of excitement. I cannot wait!

pegasusmom
Jan. 6, 2012, 04:07 PM
Tickets, hotel, friends lined up and volunteer position secured. Can't wait!

ECEventer
Jan. 6, 2012, 06:56 PM
This is our second year too! The only thing we don't have lined up is our flights! So excited!

mustangsal85
Jan. 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
Already done!!! 107 days today!!!!!

LAZ
Jan. 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

Ditto, except mine is a campsite instead of a hotel.

pegasusmom
Jan. 9, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ditto, except mine is a campsite instead of a hotel.

Yes, but I believe our volunteer positions are the same - look forward to meeting you!

DiablosHalo
Jan. 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
Rolex is my reward for hitting my weight loss goal this year. I'm 10 days into my plan and haven't really started anything yet. It's not looking good... ;)

piaffeprincess98
Jan. 9, 2012, 03:00 PM
I need to reserve a hotel room. Any recommendations? I haven't been in a few years.

mustangsal85
Jan. 9, 2012, 04:35 PM
I need to reserve a hotel room. Any recommendations? I haven't been in a few years.

I have stayed at the Sleep Inn on Plaudit Pl the past 3 years. The main reason I like it is because it is dog-friendly without being dirty. And I like the location - access to plenty of restaurants (and a big fat liquor store down the street! ;) ) and close to the horse park. This year we have gone with La Quinta Inn, also because it is pet friendly but mainly because it had a suite room available since we have a couple more people coming with us this year.

Also - reserve that room ASAP! You won't believe how quick they fill up, especially now that we are getting a lot closer. I usually reserve mine in December or so.

scubed
Jan. 9, 2012, 04:45 PM

In process. As usual bought tickets too soon and then got volunteer job that comes with tickets (friends will benefit again), have checked on plane tix, but not taken the plunge and am hitting up folks to share a room. Psyched!

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2012, 04:58 PM
I have a tailgating spot this year! :D I am also volunteering for the first time, so will be there much earlier than normal (Thursday night!) to catch the whole event. :yes: Amazing how fast the tailgating spots went--by the time the word got out the "prime" spots were already taken, but we're in the second flight. More details to come . . . I will probably not get to visit, but my barn is going to have a little tailgating setup where friends can stash their shopping, gear, etc. while they cruise around the course.

supaflyskye
Jan. 9, 2012, 04:59 PM
I bought my tickets in November!
I'm super excited, but kind of nervous too. I've never been before, and we're making the 15 hour drive in one day and hoping for a primitive campsite at KHP.
But I'm hugely looking forward to it!

piaffeprincess98
Jan. 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have stayed at the Sleep Inn on Plaudit Pl the past 3 years. The main reason I like it is because it is dog-friendly without being dirty. And I like the location - access to plenty of restaurants (and a big fat liquor store down the street! ;) ) and close to the horse park. This year we have gone with La Quinta Inn, also because it is pet friendly but mainly because it had a suite room available since we have a couple more people coming with us this year.

Also - reserve that room ASAP! You won't believe how quick they fill up, especially now that we are getting a lot closer. I usually reserve mine in December or so.

Thanks! I knew I probably should start looking. Do the hotels inflate the prices obscenely? That usually happens when I go to Lexington, VA for the horse trials. I'm looking for cheap, but I'm probably going to be splitting the cost with (hopefully) two people.

ESG
Jan. 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
Mr. ESG has been before (many years ago), but I'm a Rolex virgin. Any suggestions on which package is the best?

Also, recommendations for hotels not two hours away would be appreciated. I know the KHP website has a directory, but having never been there before, I'd like some advice from y'all who have.

Can't WAIT!!!! :D

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2012, 06:50 PM
At this point, I'd say beggars can't be choosers and would book hotels NOW. Other than the Knights Inn by the KHP, they're all about the same. ;)

PebblesNana
Jan. 9, 2012, 07:31 PM
I have a tailgating spot this year! :D I am also volunteering for the first time, so will be there much earlier than normal (Thursday night!) to catch the whole event. :yes: Amazing how fast the tailgating spots went--by the time the word got out the "prime" spots were already taken, but we're in the second flight. More details to come . . . I will probably not get to visit, but my barn is going to have a little tailgating setup where friends can stash their shopping, gear, etc. while they cruise around the course.

We looked into Tailgating for this very reason! Did you do it last year and how did it work? The only real down side that I see is having to stay late on XC day due to people traffic (which means wayyy more shopping of course!)

Maybe next year we will do a barn tailgate setup.

HappyHorselover
Jan. 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
I volunteer, so I'll be there as always!

I had a friend who did tailgating last year so I was there, it was really neat.

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:02 PM
This is my first time tailgating.

pegasusmom
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
In process. As usual bought tickets too soon and then got volunteer job that comes with tickets (friends will benefit again), have checked on plane tix, but not taken the plunge and am hitting up folks to share a room. Psyched!

You, me and LAZ with Flutie at the helm. Should be fun! I have friends who get to benefit as well!

allpurpose
Jan. 9, 2012, 09:29 PM
Found this out by accident a few years ago. We decided to go at the last minute and drove down from Michigan on Thurs night. Pulled into a parking lot by the KHP and got on the phone, dialing every hotel we could see a sign for. We hit gold on the 3rd call! The Country Inn and Suites had had a cancellation and the manager was willing to deal because, he says, "I want this hotel full before I go home for the night or the owner will kill me."

We negotiated a decent price, drove over and took the room, hit the liquor store and had a great weekend! Not willing to make a habit of it, but I bet it would work most of the time.:)

LAZ
Jan. 9, 2012, 09:40 PM
You, me and LAZ with Flutie at the helm. Should be fun! I have friends who get to benefit as well!

I bought my tickets literally the day before Flutie asked me to help. I typically operate on the "it's not the last minute yet" principle so this'll learn me.... :cool:

SLW
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
A buddy and I are going this year, we are Virgin Rolex Spectators. What advice does anyone have to share? We have our tickets to stadium jumping, 3 day park pass and reserved parking. She is getting the hotel this evening. Where is the best place to plunk down on the cross country course?? Did we read it right that we don't need a separate ticket to watch that from the sideline??

Will the entries be some of our 3 Day Event team that is going to London?

LAZ
Jan. 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
A buddy and I are going this year, we are Virgin Rolex Spectators. What advice does anyone have to share? We have our tickets to stadium jumping, 3 day park pass and reserved parking. She is getting the hotel this evening. Where is the best place to plunk down on the cross country course?? Did we read it right that we don't need a separate ticket to watch that from the sideline??

Will the entries be some of our 3 Day Event team that is going to London?

Wear comfortable shoes. On Saturday a backpack with rain gear/water bottle/sun screen/time sheets/snacks is a good idea.
Walk the xc course.
There is at least one good spot in each "area" of the course to see several fences.
General admission is all you need for Saturday.
The head phones are a nice touch for dressage.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mr. ESG has been before (many years ago), but I'm a Rolex virgin. Any suggestions on which package is the best?

Also, recommendations for hotels not two hours away would be appreciated. I know the KHP website has a directory, but having never been there before, I'd like some advice from y'all who have.

Can't WAIT!!!! :D

All of the hotels in Lexington and Georgetown are fairly close. I was on Kayak yesterday and most of the decentish ones are running $90-120 per night, which is only about 150% of the usual price. I actually stayed at the Knight's Inn Georgetown for WEG and while I wouldn't really recommend it, it wasn't the end of the world. If you want to splurge, the Griffon's Gate Marriott is very close and quite nice. I usually just buy a general admission ticket and then seats for Friday and Sunday.

flutie1
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:39 AM

And Deltawave too!

DLee
Jan. 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
We tailgated last year. It was fun (and great to just drive in!) but I felt really tied to it. I like to wander a lot. I am hoping someone I know gets one this year and I can visit during lunch. :D

I was REALLY disappointed in the vet box being so distant, as that is one of my favorite places to hang out. That started with the WEG. Does anyone know if it will be the same this year?

mustangsal85
Jan. 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
I am paying about $400 for our room at the La Quinta, but it's also a 2 King, 2 room suite with a pull out so I guess it's not obscene for Thurs-Sun. But I am used to paying about $100 a night, usually a bit more. And I reserve early too!! they know those rooms will fill up regardless so yes they inflate the price. And I have gone cheap before, some Red Roof Inn I can't remember when, and it was deplorable. So never again. We have enough people going that splitting it will make it much more affordable.

Also my advice for XC day - I get there before first horse on (at least 30 min) and plunk down at the Head of the Lake for the first 10 or so because the HoL just gets more and more congested as the day goes on. After we've seen enough there we head up to the finish and walk backwards. That way we see everything coming towards us! And I love watching the finish. Gives me chills!

ESG
Jan. 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
Well, it appears I will remain a Rolex virgin for at least another year. Hubby and I took a look at the budget for this year,and Rolex don't fit. :cry: Rats.

Y'all will just have to have a couple of drinks and walk the XC course for me. :sigh:

piaffeprincess98
Jan. 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
My decision to go might be slightly last minute. I'll definitely book a hotel now, but for tickets, will I have a decent chance at good seats if I buy say in late March/early April?

I'd like to be under cover in case of bad weather, but I'm guessing those seats go first? The last time I went was in 2005 before they had this grandstand. In fact, I just stood by the rail and didn't buy seats!

bizbachfan
Jan. 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
My sis is the planner on this but she gets apt/home rentals that are great deals compared to hotels, we are staying in a nice little farm house on a huge horse farm this year for less than a hotel would cost.

allpurpose
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:39 PM
My sis is the planner on this but she gets apt/home rentals that are great deals compared to hotels, we are staying in a nice little farm house on a huge horse farm this year for less than a hotel would cost.

Do tell! How does she do it?

bizbachfan
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have to find the link but it is a homeaway/ vacation rentals type site she uses to find "home" rentals rather than hotels.

just checked and it was a vrbo.com rental both times, great site!

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
www.vrbo.com

Got us a 2 bedroom condo on the beach in Hawaii next week for less than the cost of a hotel room. :yes:

FlightCheck
Jan. 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
Does this mean I get to meet the famous LAZ? (I'm part of "Flutie's Team" also)

allpurpose
Jan. 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
www.vrbo.com

Got us a 2 bedroom condo on the beach in Hawaii next week for less than the cost of a hotel room. :yes:

Thanks DW! I'll be lookin' on here!

pegasusmom
Jan. 11, 2012, 12:56 PM

I think we need a name. . .

deltawave
Jan. 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Obviously if we're "Flutie's Team" then it would have to be the Bills. Or the Chargers. Or the Pats. Or maybe even the Bears. :D

LAZ
Jan. 11, 2012, 09:41 PM

Infamous....

LAZ
Jan. 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Obviously if we're "Flutie's Team" then it would have to be the Bills. Or the Chargers. Or the Pats. Or maybe even the Bears. :D

Those are football teams, right? I hear tell we have a big game coming up here in Indy....

deltawave
Jan. 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ummm, yeah . . . and if my Giants accomplish the improbable and make it there I'll be begging for a spot on your couch because WE WILL BE GOING! :D

FlightCheck
Jan. 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
names...
Flutie's Cuties
Flutie's Booties
.......clearly I need coffee..........

flutie1
Jan. 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
names...
Flutie's Cuties
Flutie's Booties
.......clearly I need coffee..........

Oy vey, more than coffee my dear!! A few more posters are also on the Fluteteam too - bbowen, msghook. And I think with flightcheck, bbowen and my votes, the Bears would win! (Yes LAZ, football).

pegasusmom
Jan. 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
As long as you don't stick Vikingsholm on the front (sorry, I had my own kennel name!:lol::lol::lol:) Bears is/are fine with me. I did live in Boston when Doug Flutie was playing for BC. . .

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
We could make our motto "That's why we took the damn field". Or "we are who you THOUGHT we were". :D

pegasusmom
Jan. 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
We could make our motto "That's why we took the damn field". Or "we are who you THOUGHT we were". :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

or. . . We are the Bears shuffling through. . . . I didn't come here looking for trouble, I'm just doing the Super Bowl Shuffle. . . uh huh. . .

perhaps I am showing my age.

flutie1
Jan. 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
Doing the Rolex shuffle!

flutie1
Jan. 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
As long as you don't stick Vikingsholm on the front (sorry, I had my own kennel name!:lol::lol::lol:) Bears is/are fine with me. I did live in Boston when Doug Flutie was playing for BC. . .

Dana, I'm drawing a blank. What was your kennel name? Vikingsholm is engraved in my head for obvious reasons, but beyond that, zilch!

pegasusmom
Jan. 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Rookwood. . .

doing the Rolex Shuffle. . . like that!

flutie1
Jan. 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Sound of hand slapping forehead and voice saying "Rookwood. Oh dat's it!" Thanks!

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Just figured out my plans and so excited to be going to my 3rd Rolex! One my best friends will be there competing!

Cheer on Brittany Lunney and Cool Dancer (Dan)! :D

bizbachfan
Jan. 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
yay will do, so excited to be going to my second!

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
year 5 for me...camp site secured (with hotel back up, in case of bad weather). Counting down the days!

rprincess73
Jan. 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm going for the first time this year and CAN'T WAIT! A bunch of us that met on another horse forum have gone in together, rented a house just 15 minutes away and will be there from Wednesday night to Monday morning. I'm driving from Florida...picking up people in Atlanta, then heading to KY:) Should be an amazing time!

PebblesNana
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
I can't wait! Anyone else started their shopping list? Do we have a Rolex shopping thread yet?:D

DarkenStormy
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:42 AM
I am going for the 2nd time! My friend got our hotel right before Christmas - so that's been secured. I can't remember where she got it - same as last year, we loved it - maybe the Marriot??

We get Patron Tent Tickets. I know they are expensive, but to me they are totally worth it.

I can't WAIT!