PDA

View Full Version : Lucinda Green Clinic: Has anyone done one??

Addictedeventer
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'm thinking about doing a Lucinda Green clinic later on this year! Let me know if any COTH eventers have done a clinic with her & how it went! Thanks :)

Janet
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
Suggest you do a search.

There have been quite a few clinic reports.

She is GREAT!

I'm thinking about doing a Lucinda Green clinic later on this year! Let me know if any COTH eventers have done a clinic with her & how it went! Thanks :)

MyssMyst
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
I am infinitely jealous of anyone who has!

secretariat
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
Highly recommended.

scubed
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:19 AM
She is fabulous.

cllane1
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
Another thumbs up for Lucinda. She teaches you and the horse to be independent, yet work together. Lots of helpful take-home skills and lots of praise and encouragement!

ExtravagentEventer
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:26 AM
Loved her! Great insight and instruction. I came home with a lot from the clinic!

Babble
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:30 PM
I think every eventer should ride with Lucinda at least once in their lives! Your clinic with Lucinda I am guessing will be very different than any other clinic you have attended. She has a very distinct teaching style. I personally appreciated her realistic approach to teaching - she believes that you need to practice "messy" riding because you won't always be perfect out on cross country. She has you come to fences on an extremely long rein, jump decently large fences from a trot, etc. She will push you and make you ride better, and I still find myself thinking about some of the things she taught me over 5 years ago. Definitely worth it! Go, and report back as to how it went!

P.S. Where are you located? Where is the clinic? Would love to do another one myself!

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
Not for me.....

LisaB
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
YES!
She's coming to Wingreen April 25-26
http://www.wingreenxc.com/

purplnurpl
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:29 PM
I did a clinic with Boomer a few years back.

I had a good time and def do not regret the decision because I needed to hit that clinic at least once in my life.

That said I didn't come home with anything new.

We did make my already too quiet TB walk up to logs and jump them from a walk and canter off (sort of) for reasons which I am to this day unaware of.
The exercise was to teach horses not to rush...but my problem with that horse was the opposite.
lol.

So, like, Snoops--it wasn't for me.

Toadie's mom
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:49 PM
Not for me.....
Me 3. I have one of her training videos that I think is very good. In person it was just a lot of kick on, and go for it. Not a lot of detail. I don't expect to have my hand held, but for the price of clinics I do expect a little more instruction. I think Phillip Dutton is the same way. They tell you WHAT to do, but not HOW to do it. Having said that, I guess it depends on the level you're riding. Both are probably better for riders who already have upper level experience. Not so great for the lower levels.

TXnGA
Jan. 6, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have to say that I had never done a Lucinda clinic until last year, never thought about it before. It was a last minute decision, and one of the best decisions i have made for my horse.

I think, in my opinion, that the clinic focused on the horse, the excersises did help the rider, but i think it boosted my horses confidence SO much!!!! I can't tell you how much my horse felt so proud of himself like he was invincible, which was fantastic.

You're right, there may be some excerises that your horse may/ may not need, but it never hurts to do any of her excersises. It allows the horse to learn footwork, and think for themselves- a lot of "fifth leg" training.

I am an UL rider and will be attending another of her clinics this year because it was so great for the horse and I both.

HIGHLY recommend her!

bizbachfan
Jan. 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
my niece got her playstation game for Christmas and gets Lucinda advice every day :)

Alianna
Jan. 6, 2012, 07:57 PM
Rode with her a couple years ago....very much enjoyed the things we worked on.
The only problem that I had was that I told her at the beginning of the clinic that my mare was green and had not jumped that much yet and wasn't super fit (we were in the BN group and the clinic was right after winter ended) so I wanted to take it easy. Well, the first day was awesome. The second day was also until it got too long for my mare and I politely said I was going to stand along the rail and observe the rest since my mare was tired. I guess she didn't like it and (very unprofessionally) proceeded to goad me and sort of poke fun of us until I (STUPIDLY) felt compelled to return to the group and finish the day.
Well, low and behold, my mare pulled something her stifle and was lame for months afterward. I didn't know that day, but the following day she was lame like she'd never been before. We still to this day have had troubles with her stifle if I am not careful.

SO....use your head. I absolutely loved what we worked on, but in the same time and still very angry at myself for allowing her to goad me back, and not sure how I feel about her professionalism.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:32 PM
Heavenly. Might even have to stop at Wingreen on my way home from Aiken!!

lstevenson
Jan. 7, 2012, 02:08 AM
You're right, there may be some excerises that your horse may/ may not need, but it never hurts to do any of her excersises. It allows the horse to learn footwork, and think for themselves- a lot of "fifth leg" training.

I totally agree.

It will probably be unlike any other clinic you will ever do. But horses come away from her clinics knowing how to think about their own footwork in front of jumps. And the riders come away from her clinics knowing what it feels like to set their horses up correctly, and then to stay out of their way to let them do their job.

You'll have a blast!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

EventingJ
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:20 AM
I love Lucinda. She instilled so much confidence in my horse and I, I felt like I could take on just about anything after the clinic. Like others said, it isn't about YOU, but getting your horse to think about where to put their feet, and giving both of you confidence that you CAN jump things when spots aren't pretty -knowing the world does not end when you don't find your spot. I find she is quite different then some of other US clinicians in the way that its more about your horse figuring it out, and less rider intervention.

I don't agree she is only for upper level - my horse and I have only managed Novice, I watched the other levels as well and I came away with a lot. I talked to people who had babies in the intro/BN division who haven't jumped much - I think everyone came away with a substantial amount of confidence.

DO be prepared to WALK jumps. There are several reasons for this which she will explain :)

cobiemurphy
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:30 AM
I'm glad this thread came up - there's one here in Aus next month and I've been trying to decide whether or not to go... looks like it will be worth the money!

TXnGA
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=EventingJ;6066674]
I don't agree she is only for upper level - my horse and I have only managed Novice, I watched the other levels as well and I came away with a lot. I talked to people who had babies in the intro/BN division who haven't jumped much - I think everyone came away with a substantial amount of confidence.

QUOTE]

Sorry, she definitely is not just for UL riders. :) I think the lessons she teaches are great for all riders and horses no matter what the level!!! From the gag to the Advance horse/ rider....

I think it is a shame that many UL riders don't take advantage of going to her clinics.

hey101
Jan. 7, 2012, 11:49 AM
Me 3. I have one of her training videos that I think is very good. In person it was just a lot of kick on, and go for it. Not a lot of detail. I don't expect to have my hand held, but for the price of clinics I do expect a little more instruction. I think Phillip Dutton is the same way. They tell you WHAT to do, but not HOW to do it. Having said that, I guess it depends on the level you're riding. Both are probably better for riders who already have upper level experience. Not so great for the lower levels.

Interesting you chose Phillip as the comparative example, as these are the only two people I've ever taken a clinic with. I though Lucinda was worth every penny, and I learned so much over two days and was so encouraged by her push for me to move up from Novice to Training (and I did later that summer!). There's even a pic of me on my mare jumping a V-fence in a Practical Horseman issue covering the clinic (~fall 2001). I thought her exercises were great and she gave me a lot of new techniques that I use to this day (ie if I have to slip the reins on a drop and a 2nd fence is coming up quickly, to just open my hands instead of trying to gather up my reins really quickly). I'm sure this sounds elementary to some of you, and to me now it's 2nd nature, but in 2001 when I was learning, it was a revelation :)

That same summer I cliniced with Phillip whom I found was very "nice". "that looks great, you are doing great, nice job, that looks fine, etc". Well that all sounds nice but I didn't shell out $400 to be told what I'm doing looks "fine". I want to know what I need to improve to advance. I didn't find the stadium exercises to be very challenging and the XC day was along the lines of "go jump all that stuff". "OK, good job".

piaffeprincess98
Jan. 7, 2012, 01:57 PM
I rode in her clinic at Wingreen years ago, on my former advanced horse doing the prelim/training group. It was relatively early in our partnership, so I can't remember much.

I audited her clinic at Wingreen this year and wrote up a story that was in the USEA magazine, but here's a link to it on my blog - http://lberreth.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/lucinda-green-clinic-recap/.

I think she made a lot of good points and was very nice to me as I was reporting. She was very interested in her idea coming across the right way in my story and approved of what I wrote without a notation.

She was very much about getting on with it, even if it didn't look pretty. For green horses, I think that makes a lot of sense. I only watched the BN-N groups, so I'm not sure if those ideas carried on to the higher levels, but I'd guess so.

I'm not into group clinics as a rider though. I'd rather shell out the money for a private lesson.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:51 PM
I had a great chat with her on the Eventing Radio Network a couple of weeks ago. Although I haven't been able to work on her suggestions yet, I am quite sure what she said will be a help to me and my Bad Boy when we get to Aiken.......

Hony
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:46 PM
I believe the walk exercize is not meant to keep the horse calm but to ensure he is in front of your leg and also between hand and leg. The idea was to create a lot of power. Wasn't there someone who had their students walk fences up to four feet for the same reason?

dyonder
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:05 PM
My daughter did one with her years ago. She IS really awesome. I wish I were far enough along to do a clinic with her!

OverandOnward
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:38 PM
I did her clinic at BN level. It was one of the best things I've ever done for my riding. And for the confidence of both myself and my horse. It was completely unlike any other clinic I have been to (other than one.) I will do her clinic again the next time I have a chance.

We did low jumps. It was the configuration of the jumps and course that were the learning experience. Some of the time we were moving through these jumps Lucinda was telling us these were the same exercises she used to prepare riders for Badminton - and they didn't have to have jumps any higher than we were using. :lol:

Lucinda resolved the last confidence issues I had, and shared with my horse, over some basic cross-country problems. And it was done with simplicity, not with complex technical instructions.

Some have said she did offer many specifics, more "kick on." Honestly, uncomplicating the process was what was needed to move forward, in my case.

This may sound goofy - my horse had fun! He really did. :winkgrin: There was less pickiness about every stride, and more allowing him to get on with it. His ears were up, energy great, much more focused than usual without my having to direct him all the time, he was generally bright and perky throughout.

TKR
Jan. 7, 2012, 11:02 PM
A baby I bred, started and trained did a Lucinda clinic as his first foray into CC with his new owner and it went great! He gained alot of confidence and the light bulb went on for him. She also took him to another clinic with a Brit in TN recently, which also went great. Looking forward to seeing them out competing this year.
PennyG

JFS
Jan. 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
I have been having Lucinda for more than 15 years!! Need I say more? ;)

Jackie

scubed
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:20 PM
I believe the walk exercize is not meant to keep the horse calm but to ensure he is in front of your leg and also between hand and leg. The idea was to create a lot of power. Wasn't there someone who had their students walk fences up to four feet for the same reason?

Yes, Jim Graham. Scared me senseless, but my lovely boy did it

Janet
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:35 AM

Also to demonstrate (to BOTH horse and rider) that SPEED is not needed.

Heliodoro
Jan. 9, 2012, 10:55 AM
I've done 2 clinics with her on two very different horses. One being a packer type in an experienced Novice group when I had only done BN, I was challenged, yet never pushed beyond my comfort level. I jumped things that clinic I never would have tried before.

This year I went with my guy who was going Novice, but we somehow ended up in ther BN/green group. Obviously not Lucinda's fault, but she made it work on day 2. I enjoyed it, but my horse was clearly bored at times since we had just run a novice steeplechase race at Training level sized fences and we had some rider/horses who were having issues with a basic ditch question and crossing through water. I will say Lucinda took note of my situation (and another rider was also at my level in my group) and let us challenge ourselves by picking a xc route of our choice, encouraging me to tackle Training fences and combos. She gave me little tidbits before I went out to make sure our confidence was not shaken at the new/bigger jumps/obstacles.

ottb
Jan. 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
I've gone to a few on several different horses. I've always come away feeling that she has both helped my horse and improved my ride on that horse.

Firefox
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:19 PM
I too have taken many of her clinics and love them all, she saw my young horse from BN/N to prelm and each clinic sharpen us up for what we need to do!! Planning on taking my OTTB this spring to Wingreen! Cant wait!