PDA

View Full Version : Lesson with Don Sachey: Opinions?

SuZQuzie
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have an opportunity to lesson with Don Sachey and was wondering what people thought of his instruction techniques and general riding philosophy?

Lori B
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:31 AM
My first clinic, when I was a pretty green rider and had only been jumping a few months (eeek). He was great! I did things I didn't know I could do. I enjoyed it, learned good stuff, and it was a nice mix of tough and positive. (riding in the BN group)

IFG
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
I really enjoyed riding with Don. He is a classically good horseman who focuses on good basic riding.

Lisa Cook
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:57 AM
I enjoyed a clinic that I took with him. Still remember a quote from that clinic and it was almost 2 year ago:

"Mistakes are the tuition for success."

cindywilson
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rode with him for many years and can't recommend him highly enough. Very classical and an excellent communicator. And he never hesitated to hop on a horse and demonstrate what he wanted.

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
Take it!

lizathenag
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:11 PM
I have ridden with him a few times and every time was glad I had. A gifted teacher.

whicker
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
I rode with Don for many years- close to a decade. He is superb at excellent communication and reading what each rider/horse needs to best learn. He was a kind, thoughtful, encouraging mentor for me. I was quite quiet and shy as a newbie and he brought my horse and me up through the levels to UL.

He was The Woff's first working student and went on to be a gold medalist at the 1974 World Championships at Burghley. There is an incredible photo of him in Jimmy's book. It is HUGE drop, and the horse is flying out into space. Don was riding Plain Sailing, a notorious puller, who took the bit and ran, like Murphy Himself. The harmony, along with the safety seat and leg is amazing. What doesn't show is that Don was riding with a broken thumb, and had his thumb taped to the reins, since it was so hard to close his hand.

I would love to ride with him again. Where is he based now?

Appsolute
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:37 PM
Another thumbs up. Very positive yet has good exercises to challenge.

Do it!!

goodmorning
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
Don is great.

I will say - to keep in mind for all clinics you may be interested in - be mindful of the # of students per group. It's a shame when these guys are juggling 6+ students with obvious time constraints. If it works for you, great, but be sure to ask to clinic host.

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:50 PM
Don is great.

I will say - to keep in mind for all clinics you may be interested in - be mindful of the # of students per group. It's a shame when these guys are juggling 6+ students with obvious time constraints. If it works for you, great, but be sure to ask to clinic host.

Yup! I believe in watch listen and learn, but for me, I do better "by doing". It is how I am hard wired. I am not a big fan of group lessons for this reason.

rttigrl
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
I've ridden in a few clinics with Don, and each time I added invaluable tools to my toolbox and walked off the x-c course on air. Haven't ridden with him in 3 years (since I had my daughter and moved across country), but I would (literally) JUMP at the chance to ride with him again. Please go and HAVE FUN!

lizathenag
Jan. 6, 2012, 02:06 PM
He should see it. He has helped many riders.

purplnurpl
Jan. 6, 2012, 02:12 PM
oh I had a fun time with Don too!

We did soemething weird with me...if I remember correctly...

I did the first day with my group and he wanted to have a fun time with my horse so the 2nd day he did a private with me.

Jim Graham did the same sort of work with me that Don did.
I liked them both.

BOTH clinicians took me aside the 2nd day and worked me privatly.
If they had not, I'm not sure my reveiw would have been the same because I would not have accomplished as much.

sigh. Those nice horses spoil a rider.
;)

SuZQuzie
Jan. 6, 2012, 03:15 PM
This would actually be a lesson situation, not a clinic, so I will be able to have a private lesson. He in based in Santa Barbara now and comes to the farm I just moved to every month or so since it is only a little over an hour away from him.

Has anyone ridden with him for dressage specifically?

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
This would actually be a lesson situation, not a clinic, so I will be able to have a private lesson. He in based in Santa Barbara now and comes to the farm I just moved to every month or so since it is only a little over an hour away from him.

Has anyone ridden with him for dressage specifically?

Not only a good thing to private lesson with Don...but also to live near Santa Barbara!!!!

You will NOT be disappointed by him! He is the most under used clinician in the country!

Kanga
Jan. 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
He is a wonderful trainer! If you are that close to him, in that area, he is absolutely the one to ride with. Don is a true horsemen and just all around great at all phases. Can't say enough good things about him!

LAZ
Jan. 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
He came and taught at my 2nd event camp last year. I really liked him and found if someone wanted to learn he put 100% into it and made improvements in those folks & horses. I would think a lesson situation would be even more helpful. And on top of that, he is truly a gentleman and has a fun sense of humor.

whicker
Jan. 6, 2012, 09:38 PM
sent you a p.m.

SuZQuzie
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:25 PM
Thank you all! I am getting pretty stoked about this now. :)

Peggy
Jan. 7, 2012, 01:54 AM
No direct dressage experience, but I did ride a friend's horse that had just returned from a month of training with Don. Horse was light, forward off the aids, and correct.

Did a couple of clinics and got coached by him at Ram Tap. Educational and fun.

easykeeper
Jan. 7, 2012, 07:24 AM
I rode with him consistently in the late 80's early 90's as he came to our farm for clinics and lessons a lot. He is an AWESOME teacher...learned SO much from him. You are VERY lucky to have this opportunity! Enjoy!

whicker
Jan. 7, 2012, 12:04 PM
EasyKeeper,

We seem to be paralleling each other through life,:D:lol:. Now I have got to ride next to you, and hear more of the stories.

I want to see if I can put a group together and lure Don to come to Va to teach us. Doesn't have to be a clinic, if there are enough private lessons, I think.
We could see if The Woff would join us, even for drinks/dinner/ tall tale telling...:winkgrin:

easykeeper
Jan. 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
Whicker,

I know!! Funny, huh!? Maybe we are twins separated at birth? Or sisters form a different Mister??

Yes, lessons from Don again would be AWESOME! I was just telling my daughters the other day about one of the BEST pieces of riding advice (riding horses you have never ridden before) I ever got was from Don. I think he definetly helped me pass all of my upper-level pony club ratings!

We will have to chat soon!

whicker
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:33 AM
So, please share the words of wisdom with us...

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
My dd got to clinic with him a few times before we moved away. It was a super experience for her. He was really nice but tough at the same time, he didn't accept any excuses and had a 'just go do it' attitude. Dd jumped her pony 3' for the first time in one of his clinics, it was awesome. He let me stand next to him in the ring so I could her the instruction he was giving her and to take pictures. When they did really well he would ask 'did you get that one'. He also took the time to make sure I understood what he was looking for so I could coach her myself at home. He's fantastic!

jessicaharlin
Jan. 9, 2012, 05:01 PM
Don is the best. I rode with him for years and he was always pushes you just past your comfort zone and makes you and your horse rise to the occasion. Like other posters have said, he has wonderful quips and quotes, but also is very insightful into the mechanics of riding. Many times I wouldn't quite "get it" and he would hop on and show by example. I always appreciated that...

FLIPPED HER HALO
Jan. 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
How are his clinics for green horses? My coming 4 year old will be started over fences this spring. Don does several clinics up here in NorCal during the year and I'd love to try and go to one.