PDA

View Full Version : I am clearly a pessimist...

LAZ
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
I thought the economy was bad and entries would be down, but...

Two years ago I decided to put on an event camp. It was a great success & everyone had a grand time.

Last year I put on an event camp that filled in 5 days, so I added a 2nd camp a month later that that was nearly full.

This year I made an opening date for the ONE event camp I was going to run (Leslie Law, Peter Atkins, Dorothy Crowell and GP dressage ladies from my area)--I got 73 entries on sent or delivered on opening dates and 2 the next day. I bet I have at least a few more in the mail tomorrow.

So, in spite of the fact that I swore last summer that I wasn't going to do two again I am putting a 2nd one together so all those people don't have to be disappointed. I've got Leslie coming back for the 2nd one and have contacted some other top notch people to see who else I can get.

Does running a T3DE & N3DE, a schooling horse trials another weekend & two event camps & a schooling CT & derby sound like a crazy load for a 7 week period? I will need oxygen come July 20th...

barnworkbeatshousework
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
sounds perfectly normal if you're in this sport as passionately as most of us are...re: the entries vis a' vis the economy, I think riders are setting priorities and simply saving their money for the best training opportunities out there. Glad to hear it.

SevenDogs
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:04 PM
I remember being an enabler last year, when you were considering doing a second camp, and almost asked about it when you mentioned how quickly this year is filling. Easy for me to sit here and say ... do it!!! :)

I don't live anywhere near you, but I'm glad that those that do have such great opportunities! Obviously, you are one of the people that we need to clone!

JER
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:04 PM
You might be a pessimist. You definitely are awesome.

(Those camps sound like so much fun.)

vineyridge
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
I also think the economy is lumbering towards better; and those who HAVE money are less reluctant to spend it. A lot of folks still don't have money and can't spend it, but those with are feeling less threatened.

You should see some of the prices in the art and TB auctions. They are as good as they ever were.

NSRider
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:46 PM
I just wish you were up near where I was!!!

The economy does seem like it is going up, or at least as vineyridge stated, people aren't as worried about spending it as they were a few years ago.

gahawkeye
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:04 AM
You have obviously developed a product that people are willing to buy! Good for you!

deltawave
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:06 AM
You reap what you sow. You offer a quality product that eventers want, and should not be surprised at the demand! I am sad that I cannot participate in the camps or, more than likely, the N/T3D this year due to time constraints :( but I will be at the IEA HT, spotted horses willing, and REMEMBER TO HIT ME UP FOR SPONSORSHIP FOR THE N/T3D! :)

Oberon13
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:28 AM
Wow...I really feel like I should say congratulations! What a fantastic response! I also wish I could be at those camps...

But, I will also say, "Hang in there!" On those evenings where you're so exhausted it hurts...and those mornings where getting out of bed sounds impossible...think of all the folks who get to work out their dreams because of what you're offering. Thank you, thank you, thank you...on behalf of every single one!

enjoytheride
Jan. 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
Your shows (and the food served there!) are the best thing that has come to Indiana. I only wish I had a horse and funds to do the camp with.

LAZ
Jan. 6, 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys!

Deltawave--I will remember to do that! It looks like the N3DE will have its own special dressage test this year--pretty cool.

I am going ahead with the 2nd camp--I have Leslie & Lesley Law coming and am working on another major clinician. I hope this does not mean that I will have 130 entries for next year...

And ETR--I feel extremely fortunate that Lori said yes when I asked her if she was interested in catering my shows. She is a treasure! (and brings me a couple of meals so I have yummy stuff to eat after the show--yum for lobster rolls and goat cheese salad)

petit fromage
Jan. 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
Did you leave out your regular lesson and coaching schedule?

Oh, yeah, THAT.

LAZ
Jan. 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
Did you leave out your regular lesson and coaching schedule?

Oh, yeah, THAT.

Yeah, well, there is that! I'm lucky that I'll have two working students this summer to help plus Gilberto, who is a godsend in that he is sees what I need help with and just does it. I'm feeling very lucky with my helpers!

I conferred with Jon Wells and he is going to build me some new x/c jumps and before camp as well. :D

CookiePony
Jan. 7, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks to annikak, I am one of the 77... and will be looking forward to it for the next 6 months!

LAZ
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:49 PM
Stephen Bradley is going to be my third clinician for Camp II. :D

scubed
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:07 AM
Wow. I want to come to camp II. When is that happening?

FlightCheck
Jan. 9, 2012, 08:24 AM
I wish the FatPaintMare and I lived closer....

Long Spot
Jan. 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
LAZ is obviously doing it right.

LAZ
Jan. 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
scubed--just noticed your post--it will be July 17-20 (Th-F). AnnikaK & Cookiepony are in that camp now, I believe....

JFS
Jan. 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
WOW LAZ. I thought I have a crazy schedule!! I'm putting the final touches on my camp flier this week and I expect it to be bigger than last year by the sounds of it. People are putting a little money away each week for camp!

I already have two entries in hand for the Lucinda Green clinic in June and they're from MI. My regulars better not procrastinate ;)

Jackie