PDA

View Full Version : Look at this potential for me!

fibbermaggee
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
I am not sure if I know how to copy the URL for the pedigree on this horse.....in fact I know I don't get it. He is on equineline under Haveadrinkonme. I think his pedigree looks fantastic for eventing. Does anyone have the time to look at it for me and give me an opinion? He is also on craigslist for Portland, Oregon. I am going to look at him tomorrow. I love his look and his lineage!

gold2012
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=GENERATE&reference_number=8336605&registry=T&horse_name=&dam_name=&foaling_year=&NICKING_STATS_INDICATOR=Y&sire_reference_number=0&dam_reference_number=0&color=&sex=&hypo_foaling_year=&breeder=

There is his pedigree! I dont know much about pedigrees, but thought having link might help out.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you! Wish i was more techy!

leahandpie
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:51 PM
Is it this guy?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2780632925.html

If so... I'm friends with his seller on FB... and he is just stunning. I hope you get him!

fibbermaggee
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:54 PM
Yes! That's him. He's got me really hot and bothered! Seeing him at noon tomorrow! I usually don't have reactions like this.....something about him!

Twigster
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:13 PM
No pedigree help from me either but CUTE! (you should totally buy him :D )

Bravestrom
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:15 PM
Too bad you couldn't ask denny emmerson - he knows a lot about tb breeding and could help -

Xctrygirl
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:22 PM
Send a PM to Vineyridge.

She does amazing stuff on pedigrees.

Nice race record, very consistent.

~Emily

oldenmare
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:30 PM
Denny has been doing a TON of pedigree posting on FB lately - check out Tamarack Hill Farm.

I know that several stallions he has mentioned are also in this guy's pedigree, including: Neartic/Nearco, Hail to Reason, Bold Ruler/Nasrullah, Princequillo, and I'm pretty certain he's also mentioned Tom Fool.

Pedigree-wise, he's a fairly well-bred/typically-bred Thoroughbred.

Check out Denny's postings, though - he's got a lot of great insight.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
oldenmare, see, I didn't think he was very typically bred. No Mr. prospector, no seattle slew, no storm cat. I think Sadlers wells is pretty well thought of for sport. Also, Damascus and Bold Ruler.....both in Coconut Grove's pedigree I think. I did pm Viney.....see what she says.

BEARCAT
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:56 PM
Good luck...
have been interested in a couple of horses on that site, spoke to the seller
, but got zero follow through as far as sending me requested info on the horses (pedigrees, photos, etc...)

netg
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:55 PM
He's not exactly my type (I like them a bit too-short in the back, where he may be a little too long - but still totally ok, just a preference), but I like him from the pics! I really like the way I'm guessing his neck ties in when he's not a bit hyped up and looking around.

Good luck!

vineyridge
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:11 AM
PM sent.

Interesting factoid: He was bred by Zenyatta's owner.

Would someone please post a link to Denny's Facebook page?

fibbermaggee
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks to Viney! I will update after I see him tomorrow!

PonyGal08
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:44 AM
PM sent.

Would someone please post a link to Denny's Facebook page?

If you (or anyone) has an aversion to Facebook, he's posting the same information here (http://howgoodridersgetgood.wordpress.com/). Though all his wonderful pictures are Facebook.

vanraf
Jan. 6, 2012, 12:52 AM
Oh man... handsome guy. Glad he's so far from me!

judybigredpony
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:10 AM
Holy Moses, Hot Dam you've Got Sadlers Well's on top and Something Royal both top sports Horses bloodlines in my humble opinion and then my all time 5* sire Private Account...Hubba Hubba if he was not all the way across the country I would so be there w/ my trailer and check book..YES Sir Re...

3phase
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:19 AM
ditto...that is some nice breeding!!! Looks great too!
Good luck tomorrow at your visit-hope you're bringing a trailer with you...he looks worthy of getting asap!

Heinz 57
Jan. 6, 2012, 01:48 AM
Holy Moses, Hot Dam you've Got Sadlers Well's on top and Something Royal both top sports Horses bloodlines in my humble opinion and then my all time 5* sire Private Account...Hubba Hubba if he was not all the way across the country I would so be there w/ my trailer and check book..YES Sir Re...

I have a gelding with Private Account on top (he's by Personal Flag, out of a Pleasant Colony daughter) and he's just fabulous.

JER
Jan. 6, 2012, 02:29 AM

Huh?

Equineline says he was bred by (Canadian mining magnate) Charles Fipke. Zenyatta was owned by Jerry and Anne Moss.

The Mosses bought Zenyatta as a yearling; she was bred by an entity called Maverick Production, Ltd in KY.

scubed
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:10 AM
I would be all over this one if he wasn't bigger than I like and across the country. I think the breeding is super. Private Account one of my favorites, also.

vineyridge
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sorry. I had been looking up his dam, and she was the one who was bred by the Mosses. Just got a bit confused when I was posting. They did breed her a few times under their own name. This horse's half brothers, Luberon and Tyler Rex, were bred by them. Her first foal was in about 1998, and Fipke didn't get her until 2004.

Yes, I know the Mosses bought Zenyatta, for a relative pittance, but they had been successful in California racing for years before her.

Jealoushe
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:21 AM
He's stunning...I love princequillo way back...and also the sire was bred in Ireland? Nice.

Babble
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
I like him too!

I have a gelding with Private Account on top (he's by Personal Flag, out of a Pleasant Colony daughter) and he's just fabulous.

Heinz - I have a Personal Flag grandson (his sire is Say Florida Sandy), and he is just fabulous as well!

Heinz 57
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:38 AM
I like him too!

Heinz - I have a Personal Flag grandson (his sire is Say Florida Sandy), and he is just fabulous as well!

I've heard nothing but good things from every Personal Flag baby-owner I've talked to, although I love the Pleasant Colony lines as well. I'd love to find a nice mare with Personal Flag lines and breed her to Earth Colony for a younger version of the gelding I have now (he'll be 14 this year).

Jleegriffith
Jan. 6, 2012, 11:48 AM

ditto

Xctrygirl
Jan. 6, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry. I had been looking up his dam, and she was the one who was bred by the Mosses. Just got a bit confused when I was posting. They did breed her a few times under their own name. This horse's half brothers, Luberon and Tyler Rex, were bred by them. Her first foal was in about 1998, and Fipke didn't get her until 2004.

Yes, I know the Mosses bought Zenyatta, for a relative pittance, but they had been successful in California racing for years before her.

I rode Tyler many moons ago when I worked for Mandella circa 2001.

NICE horsie.

I'd buy a relative of his based off him alone. He floated around the track.

~Emily

fibbermaggee
Jan. 6, 2012, 04:38 PM
Lovely in person. Very calm in the stall. I have made an offer......we'll see! Bearcat...check your PM's

Eleanor
Jan. 6, 2012, 05:33 PM
I just love the lines. I have been into jumper/eventer bloodlines for years. It was my got to when ever I was looking to breed a mare. What lines would cross well for my next jumper/eventer.

Fancy That
Jan. 6, 2012, 08:04 PM
Lovely in person. Very calm in the stall. I have made an offer......we'll see! Bearcat...check your PM's

Oh wow, fingers crossed!!! He seems like such a quality boy!!! Love that his sire is Irish Bred and he has some great sport-TB bloodlines top and bottom!

I also like what I can see of his feet too! He's got a bit of hoof on him, which is sometimes rare on American TBs especially....

vineyridge
Jan. 6, 2012, 08:08 PM
Even though the sire was bred in Ireland, he's pure US TB top and bottom. What that probably means is that the horses who were exported were deemed to be turfy and more likely not to be sprinters. Which is good, IMO. They've already been selected for factors that sport horse people like.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 6, 2012, 09:24 PM
The trainer did say he was a distance horse. Just ran on Wednesday and placed 4th. Waiting to hear from the middle man tomorrow!

Justa Bob
Jan. 7, 2012, 12:25 AM
The trainer did say he was a distance horse. Just ran on Wednesday and placed 4th. Waiting to hear from the middle man tomorrow!

LIKE! Hope you will be taking him home.

Rainier
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:19 AM
I'm jealous. I have loved every Perfect Soul baby I have ever met. THere is a syndicate on the track out here called Perfect Soul Brothers. They only own horses by him. I liked his offspring as eventers before I even moved out here and then last summer I saw these horses race at Emerald Downs. I liked each and every one of them! Is this guy owned by that same group??

fibbermaggee
Jan. 7, 2012, 11:22 AM
Rainier, I think he changed hands just recently. I believe it was the Kingston syndicate who previously owned him? Not sure though. I don't navigate around the track website very well.

Justa Bob
Jan. 7, 2012, 11:33 AM
Haveadrinkonme started with the Perfect Soul Brothers...and gets claimed along the way. Wish it didn't take opening up every race chart to see when he got claimed.

http://equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=8336605&registry=T

Thanks for sharing Perfect Soul sire info- interesting. And while we wait to see if FM is getting this guy, looks like his sire moved to Canada in Nov.

http://www.horse-canada.com/horse-news/perfect-soul-ire-moves-to-norse-ridge-for-2012/

fibbermaggee
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:37 PM
So the owner comes back firm with the price. I agree. Then the return call......the "other owner" doesn't want to sell now. I don't get it. I am so disappointed.......

AlterEgoME
Jan. 7, 2012, 04:07 PM
Happens. :-( Nicest one I have seen in a LONG while. Keep in touch with them. He will come back on the market.

leahandpie
Jan. 7, 2012, 04:24 PM
Ughhh that STINKS. I'm so sorry :(

vineyridge
Jan. 7, 2012, 05:52 PM
That happens when a racer has a good race that shows potential. So sorry it happened to you. If he had run 8th in his last race, he'd be in your barn today.

Do keep up with him, and if he decides to tank again and again, he'll be on the market again.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
He ran 4th in his last race. Trainer told me he just wasn't interested. I will definitely follow through and hopefully, if he doesn't run well in his next race, they will be willing to sell. I so had my hopes up! Now, I just can't stop thinking about him. Sometimes you just know in your gut when it's the one for you.

ACMEeventing
Jan. 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
Confused.

If he was posted for sale and you offered the advertised price how can they now turn down the sale? Is there some sort of fine print? I have never bought through any of the OTTB sellers and would like a better understanding.

So sorry it didn't work out for you, maybe you will have another chance at him.

judybigredpony
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sounds like horse is owned in a partnership....plus sad to say if any of the connections read this thread they may well feel they can do better price wise privately...sometimes posting here is a detroment...there was a similar thread a while back almost same scenario and horse just kept on racing don't think anyone ever got him..:(

fibbermaggee
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:35 PM
Yep. They can change their mind if they want. I certainly thought about that scenario Judybigredpony. depressing.

ACMEeventing
Jan. 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
Sounds like horse is owned in a partnership....plus sad to say if any of the connections read this thread they may well feel they can do better price wise privately...sometimes posting here is a detroment...there was a similar thread a while back almost same scenario and horse just kept on racing don't think anyone ever got him..:(

Do they not need to get the "partnership's" agreement before listing the horse for sale? The whole thing just stinks. How do you list a horse for sale, get an offer, and then not sell because the other owners haven't agreed?

So sorry to you, OP, what an emotional roller coster.

jollytrak
Jan. 7, 2012, 10:09 PM
FM... bummer, definitely let the trainer (middle person) whomever, know that you are very interested in this horse (assuming you are). Add him to your virtual stable to keep tabs on him. It will list when his next race will be and if he doesn't finish well, call the trainer and show your interest in buying him.

Good luck!

ChelsaeJo
Jan. 8, 2012, 01:09 AM
Ahhh man, I'm sorry, OP. :( That stinks!

Rainier
Jan. 8, 2012, 03:39 AM
uugh. I lost a horse that way too. Actually it was promised to me by his owner, but unbeknownst to me he had leased the horse to a trainer to take to another state (for just a couple weeks theoretically). In the other state, the trainer actually had the papers, so legally became the owner and the previous owner didn't have the right to sell him. I forget what that is called, but it totally bummed me out :( The whole situation was terrible. It was a Jump Start colt.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:38 AM
Definitely keep in touch--it is possible that finishing in the money last week was enough for them to want to run him again, but none of them run forever.

As others suggested, it is also possible that people saw this thread, flooded them with calls, and they decided they could get more for him.

In either case I'm sorry!

lv4running
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
This does stink but he'll be back on the market soon I bet. Let them know that you are still interested and hopefully you'll have the room for this guy once he does come back on the market.

Something similar happened to me last year. Patience paid off and the horse is now in my barn. If he is what you are looking for just keep tabs on his race career and be ready to buy when he is available. Racehorse people seem to respond to cash in hand. Better to lose a few $$$ for a quick sale than pay a grand in care to make a grand in sales.

Best of luck

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2012, 12:48 PM
Definitely open a virtual stable on either Brisnet or Equibase. Both are free. Put him in and get back in touch when he loses another race very badly.

fibbermaggee
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
I will do that. The other thing I am looking into is possibly claiming him. Just don't know if that is ethical. The middle person's husband is a trainer. They are going to see what they can do. He only runs in the cheapest claimers it looks like to me....hard for me to read some of the stats since I am not very race literate.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 8, 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't think claiming is unethical. If the horse is running in claiming races the owners are aware that he might be claimed.

It is risky, since you don't get to do a PPE and the horse could be injured during the race. You also will have to pay the middle person (since, really, another trainer is claiming the horse and you are buying from them, so there is a commission involved).

lv4running
Jan. 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
You could certainly claim him if you wanted to. Someone else can claim him for you and then sell him to you, or they can act as your agent for the purchase. If it's a simply transaction you might pay them $100 or so for their efforts. If you are really sure he is right for you then go for it. If he's running in lower end claim races you might get him cheaper than they were asking online.

Keep us updated. I'd like to know how this turns out for you.

lv4running
Jan. 8, 2012, 03:34 PM
Forogt to mention, you should check out the sate laws on claiming before you do it. They all have different rules for claim races so you want to be familira with the ones for the state the horse is racing in.

judybigredpony
Jan. 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
If you have a friend who has a trainers license they can get you an owners license...you deposit the funds in their horsemans account and they claim the horse for you...and yes I would give them a commission.....but this is going to cost you more than the full price.

I hear you and feel the pull of the heart...let it go..mourn the loose and find a horse you can buy with way less hassel who just might actually be meant for you!!!

fibbermaggee
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:07 PM
After emailing the middle man about possibly claiming him she contacted the owners again.....offered slightly more than their asking price and between her and the trainer saying he just wasn't going to run.....I GOT HIM!!!!! Picked him up a few hours ago and took him to the barn where I was boarding my holsteiner. He loaded perfectly, hauled beautifully. I walked him around the new place and he started to get pretty excited. Tail straight up in the air! Bucking at the end of the lead! I put him in his stall which has a nice run on it so he can settle in for a few days. He is magnificent really......I think I will start out by just hand walking him for a week or so before even letting him loose in the arena. He just ran on Wednesday so will need some significant let down time. Footing is a real problem here in the PNW in the winter, fortunately, the facility I am at has a huge indoor (coverall) and a huge all weather outdoor. Also has a covered round pen. I will have to ease him into all of these as I don't want him to kill himself! I am so thrilled. There is just something about him. His new name is Doc Martin. My favorite show and the one I was watching while perusing craigs list and found him. I'll call him Marty....unless Doc is more appropriate for his personality. Will just have to wait and see! Thanks for all the support. Love these boards!

Beam Me Up
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:11 PM
Congrats!!! Such great news!
I had to sit through a couple races to get my guy too (I watched on the simulcast and screamed for him to slow down . . . ) but all worth it in the end.

Good luck with him and good on you for being persistent!

AlterEgoME
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:42 PM
:-)

jollytrak
Jan. 8, 2012, 08:51 PM
Congrats :)

scubed
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:02 PM
congrats. sometimes it is meant :cool:

BEARCAT
Jan. 8, 2012, 09:04 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

babecakes
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
HURRAY. Nothing more statisfying than when the deal is done and closed and home standing in the barn!

Bravestrom
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:12 PM
congratulations - you will have to post some pics

vineyridge
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! But shouldn't you spell it Doc Marten? That would add some subtext to the name.

lv4running
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:23 PM
CONGRATS!!! So happy to hear it worked out as you wanted it to. Looking forward to updates on this young guy.

ohrebecca
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:31 PM
Congratulations! keep us updated!

fibbermaggee
Jan. 8, 2012, 10:33 PM
Doc Martin is the show! I don't know...which is best?

Justa Bob
Jan. 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
Pictures! Where are the pictures :D ??

Oh and CONGRATS!

lv4running
Jan. 8, 2012, 11:51 PM
Doc Martin is my favorite english shoe line. I don't know the movie. You have some time before you have to decide on a name and the spelling of it since he just arrived. Heck, I caled my last horse "The Grey" for a few weeks because he didn't come with a name and I couldn't decide on one. That is still his nickname. :)

leahandpie
Jan. 8, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hooray!! He is simply fantastic! Enjoy him & looking forward to updates!

wishnwell
Jan. 9, 2012, 07:58 AM

Got me looking at our guy ( we've never really bothered to look into pedigree ) and I'm happy to say we have those as well! :lol:

BTW- I really like the look of this guy!