PDA

View Full Version : 5-Point Breastplate vs. Prestige Elastic Breastcollar

Addictedeventer
Jan. 5, 2012, 03:45 PM
What is everyone's opinions, experiences, preferences, etc...

Heres the breastcollar:
http://www.sportshorseservices.co.uk/prestige-elasticated-breast-collar-531-p.asp

purplnurpl
Jan. 6, 2012, 08:51 AM
I bought that collar and love it.
I'm not a 5 point fan. I bought one and it was too noisey and clanky on my horse. He was a big horse too.

The Prestige collar is great. That said, I use it on my mom's 15.3 hand paint and it's on the last holes. He's a beef cake stock horse type though...

Addictedeventer
Jan. 6, 2012, 10:14 AM
I bought that collar and love it.
I'm not a 5 point fan. I bought one and it was too noisey and clanky on my horse. He was a big horse too.

The Prestige collar is great. That said, I use it on my mom's 15.3 hand paint and it's on the last holes. He's a beef cake stock horse type though...

Awesome, thanks for the input! Did you purchase the martingale ring strap with it ?

Fancy That
Jan. 6, 2012, 03:52 PM
I prefer Prestige because I don't like to mess with all that stuff on the 5 point, AND my favorite thing for helping a saddle not slip back but allowing FULL FREEDOM for the horse, and NO RUBBING, is a classic BREAST GIRTH used with WITHER STRAP and attached at the GIRTH SIDES (never the D's)

So the Prestige is basically my normal Breast Girth set up, except it has a couple extra straps connecting to the D's. I'd imaging that gives it a touch more stability but not sure if it is needed if the saddle fits correctly?

I've seen regular breastplates give sores/galls/welts on sensitive TBs, and I know some mares that just don't care for the strap that comes up between thier legs, between the pectoral muscles. Have seen the welt happen right at the center there. Ugh.

Most steeple/timber racers use the set-up I describe because it is effective and does not interfer with the horse at all. (and again, if properly adjusted as described it does NOT interfer with the lower neck/windpipe)

This is the set up I'm talking about with the BREAST GIRTH and WITHER STRAP attached at the SIDES:

http://www.harwoodfarm.co.uk/shop/img/p/1493-1766-large.jpg

Auto Be A Storm
Jan. 6, 2012, 06:34 PM
I have a 5 point and I love it. I got the Obation one and with the fleece I don't have an rubbing problems. I don't find it restricting or noisey either. My horse loves it, keeps my saddle in place and he has plently of freedom in his shoulders.

I can't say anything for the other one I have never used that type of collar!