PDA

View Full Version : Rolex Shopping Question

redlight
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:05 AM
I found out today that my store Five Star Tack was accepted to the Rolex trade fair. The closest I've gotten to Rolex is via the live feed on my laptop so I have no idea about the crowds and how many actually visit the trade fair. I don't keep inventory to handle something this big so I need to figure out how much to have made up. If you have been a vendor, what is your estimate of the traffic that came through the trade fair? I've heard both great and not so great things about being a vendor but I am definitely keeping a positive outlook on it!

Thanks!

jen-s
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
No advice but CONGRATS!!!

pony grandma
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
Be sure to make up something or things that will be 'show specials' that will have a discounted price. You will need something to draw the buyers into your booth.

Love shopping at Rolex! :winkgrin:

scubed
Jan. 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
I think a lot of people shop at Rolex. One thing I like is to have a lot of stuff on display with show special prices and then the opportunity to buy at that lower price with a code. Excited to see you guys at Rolex! Can't help with the details as I am a shopper not a vendor

redlight
Jan. 5, 2012, 02:26 PM
All good suggestions! I will for sure start brainstorming ideas. So if you've shopped at Rolex how are the crowds? The only four star I've been to is Burghley which gets a much bigger crowd. It was literally wall to wall shoppers and alot of buying.

bambam
Jan. 5, 2012, 02:59 PM
Do you know where the vendors are going to be?
They have moved them around a bit and as a spectator/shopper this has appeared to make a big difference in the amount of foot traffic (as does the weather but can't predict that one)

DiablosHalo
Jan. 5, 2012, 03:35 PM
As a shopper - I usually stock up (or read: overbuy) on sale items. There is something about the Trade Fair atmosphere and sale prices that runs my credit card through the roof!

I've only been a few times - and was always able to walk in/out of shops without bumping arms. So unless I went on "off" years - the traffic isn't busy like Burghley.

bizbachfan
Jan. 5, 2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah I love Five Star Tack and I will be at Rolex this year again, I will buy something from you! :) sorry not a vendor so can't help you with how much to stock!

FRM
Jan. 5, 2012, 04:49 PM
We've former vendors, though not in the tack business and preparing inventory for your business is going to be tricky. Traffic through the trade fair ebbs and flows through the days depending on the competition schedule and also the weather. X-country day is the day with the most spectators but often trade is slow until cross-country is over because folks are out on course or standing in food lines. Then if the day is cold and rainy they just leave. Expect a lot of traffic on Friday when most people have arrived and are checking things out.

As far as sales go it's anyone's guess. Try and search the various threads relating to Rolex shopping and you will see how price-resistant a lot of your customers are. You'll have to put a lot of thought into how much stock you can afford to take home if sales are off.

PonyGal08
Jan. 5, 2012, 04:58 PM
I don't know how much stock you should bring with you, but I would think carrying mostly your best sellers in the most common sizes would be good. That way what you don't sell at Rolex could still be sold later, knowing that it probably won't sit on your shelf long. I think you should also carry a few other items that show what else can be bought or what you can make. Finally, I would have a really nice book that shows all of your products. Or what options are available if you can make anything custom. FWIW, I would love to buy one of your leather breastcollars - the one you have a picture posted on Facebook as a prototype. I've been looking for one of those and I like how hefty yours appears to be. ;)

P.S., I like your set-up at the AETA Industry Trade Show.

redlight
Jan. 5, 2012, 08:15 PM
I agree it's definitely unpredictable. I've had shows where one year was great and the next year awful. You never know and weather does play a big part in it. At least being a small shop it's easy to figure out what to bring and with new products coming out it will be a good place to debut them. Either way it's bound to be a good time and at least gets more people familiar with the products!

CHH
Jan. 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
good for you! I have vended there for the last 2 years and it is well worth it. I have seen your products and think you will do well. Crowd is very experienced and generally ready to spend money. Be ready for reply for all those who want a "deal". Bring along a cooler with somethng to eat and drink as getting out for food can be tough. If you need more info contact me - would be happy to share experiences.
Cindy --www. Field Jumps.com

enjoytheride
Jan. 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
I think you can divide your buyers into two groups

1. People who are willing to spend a lot of money on high quality items in person. They wait for Rolex to feel the quality of items they have been thinking about buying but needed to see in person. These people would spend more.

2. People who go for a deal. It's expensive to enter/drive/park/hotel so while they might not be in desperate need of something or don't need something at all they'll buy it if it's a good price.

bizbachfan
Jan. 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
I think you can divide your buyers into two groups

1. People who are willing to spend a lot of money on high quality items in person. They wait for Rolex to feel the quality of items they have been thinking about buying but needed to see in person. These people would spend more.

2. People who go for a deal. It's expensive to enter/drive/park/hotel so while they might not be in desperate need of something or don't need something at all they'll buy it if it's a good price.

EXACTLY

AKDragooPhoto
Jan. 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
Contact Clever with Leather. I think last year at Rolex may have been their first year. They were slammed!

I got two belts from them and they didn't have them in stock. Free shipping on all orders placed in their tent.

And the belts are AMAZING!

enjoytheride
Jan. 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
I think it's also a good idea to have "samples" of some of your items if you don't think they'll sell so people can touch them, then offer free shipping if they purchase during Rolex. Works especially well if you end up with a small booth.