PDA

View Full Version : Working Student/Abroad

ccr0009
Jan. 4, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'm currently a college student trying to juggle school and horses. I've been super fortunate to be able to continue riding and competing. This past summer I took a working-student position at an amazing farm, a ton of work but definitly worth every minute. This coming summer I know I could go back and work at the same farm, but am curious about opportunities overseas. I've checked out yard and groom, and have seen a few possible options. Does anyone have any advice or any experience? Because I'm in school, I can only work temporarily/3 months, which is hard enough to find positions that short in the U.S., what are my chanced finding a position overseas?

judybigredpony
Jan. 4, 2012, 05:46 PM
If you can get a map see the proximity of the WS positions...I personally would take the time and spend the money to stay @ B&B and go in person to actually spend a day @ each place. A luxory perhaps but once there and miserable is more costly than a few nites @ B&B's and car rental....

IronwoodFarm
Jan. 4, 2012, 07:27 PM
You may want to check the work permit issues abroad as well. It may be more difficult and expensive than you think. Or not.

I would definitely reconsider returning to the prior barn if it worked out well last year.