PDA

View Full Version : Mary Bess Sigman?

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 4, 2012, 12:04 AM
Anyone have an experience working with her? I have heard really good things so far about her, but thought I would grab a few more opinions.

ccr0009
Jan. 4, 2012, 03:05 PM
I've schooled with her several times, and she has always been super helpful. Several of my friends ride full time with her, and have nothing but good things to say. I also always see her at events and she rides several nice horse.

RunForIt
Jan. 4, 2012, 06:04 PM
I've known Bessie since she was just a kid mixing eventing and vaulting and scraped knees and ... :lol:.

She's worked with some of the best from Lellie Ward to Mike Winter to Karen O'Connor...and her riding as well as her teaching and training have evolved year after year. She has high expectations for herself, her training, her horses, and get ready, her students. You may have to ask some questions (isn't that what good students no matter what are supposed to do from math to reading to RIDING?)...and you will have to work, but I guarantee you won't find a person more fun, more willing to figure out stuff right along with you, laugh with, support you, and let me tell you, Bessie can get hurt big time right along with the rest of us. Just a few Christmas' ago we all were overcome with terror when one of her young horses managed to fall on her while warming down - Bessie's back was broken, there was some paralysis, later successful surgery...and then an incredibly comical heavy plastic, form fitting brace to wear driving and teaching and coaching - the road back to advanced was painful but she got there with lots of work, good friends, and a wonderful Guinea Pig...:lol:

Go meet her, meet her people - lots of them your age and they come from all over GA to Triple Creek Eventing, right out here in the middle of nowhere...I really expect you'll enjoy your lessons, and if you will ask questions, Bessie will teach you as well as she's been taught...and again, she's learned from the best. Did I say enough? And yes, the Bessaroo has taught me, and will again...don't know if she's brave enough yet - :lol: :cool:

Jaegermonster
Jan. 5, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not an eventer, I'm a foxhunter. I went to a clinic with Mary Bess a few years ago and she was great! I loved it and really learned a ton.
When finances and work schedules permit I would really like to go back up there for maybe a week and just take a whole bunch of lessons.

atheventer85
Jan. 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
Bess is wonderful. She's not only an accomplished rider (multiple top 20 placings at the 3* level), but an accomplished trainer. She has coached multiple students from Young Riders to Adult Amateurs, and all enjoy her humor as well as her skill. She won't push to the point of being uncomfortable, but she'll push you enough so you'll learn. A lot. I've ridden with her on several occasions and have thoroughly enjoyed her. Give her a shot, you won't regret it!

secretariat
Jan. 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know her personally, but I do know her Dad - great guy and a wonderful family. If she's anything like Dr. Mike, she's the berries!