PDA

View Full Version : The Bachelor

mustangsal85
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:34 AM
Couldn't resist this little bit of fluff. For those of you who are also suffering from reality TV addiction, I did a little digging on the equestrian contestant, Lindsey Cox, and turns out she is/was a fellow eventer! A gossip column reports her as YR of the year in 2001 but I haven't been able to verify that. Yes I am bored but considering she seems to not have the crazy gene like the others do, I have already selected her as my favorite!

betonbill
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:45 AM
Well, she rode in sidesaddle on a horse, so she's carrying on the theme.

netg
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
You know the producers have to have pushed the riding in on a horse thing, and it's too bad because it made her look a little more nutty.

But really, horsey women are nutty in a different way than the typical reality contestant. I was pointing out to my mom that a man with a vineyard would be a nice match if he'd give up some of the land for pastures, just not him!

Here's hoping she's the runner up and The Bachelorette next season... and they make the eventing in London part of her show.

Yeah, ok, I'm a dork, but it would be the best tv coverage that equestrian at the Olympics would be likely to get!

Effie1221
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:56 AM
Did I miss this show tonight? I think I did.

SweetieG
Jan. 3, 2012, 01:05 AM
Would love to know more of her background. Was thinking she spelled her name lindzi or something with a z. Need to make sure we've got the right girl.

jenm
Jan. 3, 2012, 01:06 AM
Did I miss this show tonight? I think I did.

You can catch the repeat this Sunday.

glfprncs
Jan. 3, 2012, 07:17 AM
My google search (because you piqued my interest) found a blurb that said she was the area VII Young Rider of the Year in the early 2000s. Surely someone from that area knows of her. If you do a search on the USEA site, there's a Lindsey Cox who competed in Washington in 2008.

LexInVA
Jan. 3, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah, it looks like she went from girl next door to valley girl for the show. Not my cup of tea. I'd take the Lindsey over Lindzi ANY day.

mustangsal85
Jan. 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
I've heard a couple leaks that she will be sticking around for awhile. Personally (although God only knows what she was scripted to say) I appreciated her statement that "I used to make money riding, and now I work to ride." Honestly she seems the least nutty out of all of them so far!

And netg I totally agree with you!

My Google searches came up with the same results that you all came up with. She did ride for Fresno though and here is her bio:

http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/w-equest/mtt/cox_lindsey00.html

bizbachfan
Jan. 3, 2012, 09:39 AM
There is a repeat on Sunday? I hate to admit I used to be hooked on this dumb show but stopped watching after the last few, but now I may have to watch. Seems they manipulate the "contestants" more and more.

betonbill
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, it's not like there's much to watch on a Monday night anyway. And she looked a whole lot less superficial than a lot of the other ladies.

I thought he was kind of a zero on the Bachelorette, but maybe he's got more on the ball than I gave him credit for.

BTW, loved grannie.

shiningwizard255
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
Heh I found this thread through a Google search because I also wanted to know more about Lindzi/Lindsey's riding background - should have known just come to COTH! :lol:

FLIPPED HER HALO
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:04 PM
She was my favorite too, as well as I like the nurse who raised her siblings.

I googled Lindsey and darn it came up with a site with all the spoilers saying who the final 4 were, runner up and who he picked. I SO hope the engagement one wasn't right because I can't stand the chick it mentioned.

It also had the same pic of Lindsey as a brunette in college on their site.

mustangsal85
Jan. 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
Looks like John did a bit more digging.

http://eventingnation.com/home/2012/01/eventer-featured-on-the-bachelor.html

MunchingonHay
Jan. 3, 2012, 05:03 PM
I am friends with her parents. Very down to earth people.

I have met Lindsey a few times at horse shows, she is equally down to earth.

She may not be catty enough to survive.

MHM
Jan. 3, 2012, 09:47 PM
Looks like John did a bit more digging.

http://eventingnation.com/home/2012/01/eventer-featured-on-the-bachelor.html

I watched the <90 second video in that column. That was enough of that wretched show to last me a lifetime. :dead:

s65horsey
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hah! Glad to see others who are obsessed with this train wreck show! I also liked Lindzi and hope to see more of her on the show.

JER
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:53 AM
Advice to all men: run screaming from any girl named Lindzi.

Run twice as fast if her name is actually 'Lindsey' and she's decided, as an adult, to re-christen herself 'Lindzi'. That is not a good sign.

Once upon a time, I worked on a project with/about this show. The producer is a connoisseur and enthusaist of trainwreck television, and has done a brilliant job in making this a perennial trainwreck. Of course, the general public has no idea just how trainwrecky this show has been behind-the-scenes as well.

:)

tres grey
Jan. 4, 2012, 03:55 AM
I thought that Ben was adorable, too, and then I saw a certain YouTube video that made me go from AW! to WUT?! (If you want the link, PM me. Its NSFW... or really anything.)

Despite her name choice, Lindzi was one of the few I enjoyed watching. ABC definitely hit up a whole new level of crazy this season!

MHM
Jan. 4, 2012, 06:59 AM
Advice to all men: run screaming from any girl named Lindzi.

Run twice as fast if her name is actually 'Lindsey' and she's decided, as an adult, to re-christen herself 'Lindzi'. That is not a good sign.

I concur.

If your parents stick you with a goofy name, that's one thing. Changing it yourself to amp up the goofy factor? Not good.

NStephensUCD
Jan. 4, 2012, 09:41 AM
I liked her better with her old nose.

JP60
Jan. 4, 2012, 12:46 PM
I watched the <90 second video in that column. That was enough of that wretched show to last me a lifetime. :dead:
"Screw you, and the horse you rode in on"...Now that's a classy lady.

I'll never get back those 90 secs :cry: (and I have to cleanse my mind)

Are women really that ...fake? I never watched these horrible shows, but I just cannot believe people are truly that petty and superficial (talk about naive). I too thought the horse showed good manners and was well turned out. I am glad she at least provided his real name (First impression Rose...:eek:)

MHM
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:35 PM
Are women really that ...fake? I never watched these horrible shows, but I just cannot believe people are truly that petty and superficial (talk about naive).

I try to tell myself that the producers who make these shows are looking for the worst examples of humanity in order to increase the trainwreck factor, and that they look under every rock around to locate them. I just hope they have to put some effort into finding such awful people. Ick.

betonbill
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:47 PM
Some watch Real Housewives, some watch the Kardasians. Some of us watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette and enjoy it trash and all. :winkgrin:

At least when they go horseback riding where ever she won't be bouncing like a beach ball or hanging on the reins. :)

Knight's Journey
Jan. 4, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'm in Area VII and know Lindzi personally and the horse she did her YR Championships on. She's absolutely legit and is a completely down to earth awesome person.

She's 0% drama and I felt she was portrayed accurately in the first episode. I don't usually watch The Bachelor and have been out of touch with Lindzi for years but watched this episode when I heard she was in it. I'm glad she got the first impression rose, she's very deserving.

She's one of those people who just seems so nice you expect her to be fake but she's genuine.

netg
Jan. 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
I try to tell myself that the producers who make these shows are looking for the worst examples of humanity in order to increase the trainwreck factor, and that they look under every rock around to locate them. I just hope they have to put some effort into finding such awful people. Ick.

Some of it's real, lots of it is prompted, and there's lots and lots of editing. You'd be amazed the things you can make someone say by putting together words they've said at various times. With this show, suspect any statement someone makes where you don't see them mouthing the words continuously. The voiceover shots of the guy walking the beach and similar types of scenes are often statements taken from various other times throughout the season, said about other people and situations.

I don't know anyone personally from the show, but apparently there are no contracts keeping employees from quitting mid-season, then going to conferences discussing various editing jobs and sharing how terrible it was to work there and put together the desired storylines.

I love the train wreck nature of it, and trying to figure out how they will twist some things, and how other times they seem to allow people to really show who they are. One thing for sure, this is not a show created to try to create relationships, but one to sell advertisements.

Also keep in mind- mob mentality. You go there looking for a future spouse (or entertainment career, free advertising for your business, etc), and are gathered with other people whose sole focus for up to 6 weeks is on trying to nab one man. It takes a certain mind set to go there in the first place, but sequester yourself with women who are all chasing the same man and you may well find yourself believing you are in love, regardless of how you'll feel out in the real world.

betonbill
Jan. 4, 2012, 04:32 PM
And lots and lots of alcoholic beverages. Since the Bachelor is a winemaker, I suspect the vino will flow like water.

mustangsal85
Jan. 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
Some of it's real, lots of it is prompted, and there's lots and lots of editing. You'd be amazed the things you can make someone say by putting together words they've said at various times. With this show, suspect any statement someone makes where you don't see them mouthing the words continuously. The voiceover shots of the guy walking the beach and similar types of scenes are often statements taken from various other times throughout the season, said about other people and situations.

Agree! I know I am going to ruin my credibility by saying this, but I read Lauren Conrad's book and she draws on a lot of her personal experience with reality TV to write fiction and although it may be slightly exaggerated, the manner in which the scenes are edited are definitely true. It's funny how keeping footage of a person glancing in a certain direction and using that footage in a later episode to make it appear like that person is glancing at another person meaningfully.... it's all just so funny to me! Honestly I find it sadly creative that they can manipulate sound and footage to make you believe it.

Either way, I'm entertained and I actually did like Lindzi/Lindsey so I will keep watching!

netg
Jan. 4, 2012, 05:32 PM
And lots and lots of alcoholic beverages. Since the Bachelor is a winemaker, I suspect the vino will flow like water.

Very true!

Apparently the contestants will do things like request food... and it will be delivered many hours later, after the booze has been available for quite a while.

mustangsal - I liked her, too. We'll see how it turns out!

JER
Jan. 4, 2012, 05:48 PM
The Writers Guild of America has been trying to organize reality (great phrase :)) for many years. There have been class-action lawsuits and other maneuvers to get reality shows to fairly compensate their writer-producers and limit their working hours to something more in line with the real world (:D).

Reality shows are the same thing as 'soft-scripted.' Series are outlined with beats and fleshed out with heavily-edited footage from the shows. As production schedules are really tight, writer-producers work 24/7 with no overtime.

Episodic TV is not allowed to do this as those shows are WGA signatories.

The WGA has a good page about reality TV (http://www.wga.org/organizesub.aspx?id=1088) and how it's made, in case anyone is interested.

The best moments/stories/crises from reality shows don't usually make the final cut. Imagine what happens when your bachelor is gay...

:D