PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Junior Activities...

EquiStar1
Jan. 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
I was just elected to my local Eventing Association as the Junior Activity Coordinator. I'd like to get some ideas for Junior Activities. We have a very small horse community and quite a few Juniors. I have a Jumper Clinic in the works but I'd like to do somethings that are a little different.

I was thinking a Junior Jumper Derby Day, a guest speaker, maybe a junior trailride or picnic?

I have several juniors at my barn and I want them to get involved in showing and make new friends in the community.

Any ideas to get these kids active and excited about the show season and learning new things would be fantastic!

Thanks!!

oldpony66
Jan. 1, 2012, 03:41 PM
By 'junior' do you mean under 18? Or more junior than that? That would affect what type of activities would be of interest.

I always think it's a good idea to start with the kids. Give them a survey/input form (you could do a written one, or create one on a website like surveymonkey) and see what they would be interested in. They may even be interested in activities that are completely not horse-related, which is still OK if you're looking for them to get to know each other (picnic/movie night/pool party type of activites).

EquiStar1
Jan. 1, 2012, 04:45 PM
A general Under 18. I like the idea of a survey! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

HorseLover3
Jan. 1, 2012, 05:09 PM
You could have a bonfire, or a "horse game" day. You could have horse related prizes (Treats, brushes,ect). They can do activities like bobing for apples (horses do the bobbing), dress ponies up in costumes, do talent shows, barn sleepovers, fun shows,ect:)
If you want more ideas just say so:D

wcporter
Jan. 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
Gymkhana! :)

catosis
Jan. 1, 2012, 05:28 PM
Perhaps you could encourage the Jr. members to organize a service project- like a benefit horse show of clinic- and donate the money earned that is not used to cover costs to a worthy cause (i.e. a local hippotherapy center, etc.)

ss3777
Jan. 1, 2012, 07:20 PM
When I was part of the junior committee for our hunt club, the big hit was a junior horse show. We had jumping, flat and game classes. Each class was super cheap, l think $5.00. We collected prizes beforehand and let the winners and second place folks pick their prize from a basket. The kids loved a show all about them and getting volunteers and sponsors was a piece of cake because it was all about the juniors! We even made a little $$ and bought a speaker system for the club shows. I think the prizes (brushes, saddle pads, etc, etc) were the big hits. Oh and the sit a buck, winner takes all the $ was a big hit!

Good luck!

wishnwell
Jan. 1, 2012, 07:53 PM
As a post Pony Club parent, all the activities the kids did were not just shows, and mounted stuff. Many were revolved around learning at safety and/or health clinics, tack cleaning and pizza nights, and we always volunteered somewhere to give back at an event of something. Of course mixed in there was the fun stuff.