PDA

View Full Version : New Here with a question

abbbalonian twist
Dec. 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hello Cothers!

I have been reading this forum for about a year now, and finally decided to join. I have been riding for about 7 years. I started out doing open pleasure shows, and then got tired of it, so I switched to eventing :D I do have a trainer, but I had a quick question regarding attire rules that I would greatly appreciated advice on....

In the eventing rulebook it says:
"A body protecting vest must be worn warming-up for and in the cross-country test.
Stable, team or club colors are permitted. The Federation recommends that the vest
should pass or surpass the current ASTM standard F1937 or be certified by the Safety
Equipment Institute. Inflatable vests are permitted only when worn over a body protecting
vest."

Does this mean I cannot use the Tipperary Eventer vest that I just got for Christmas? I read on another forum that Tipperarys are not ATSM/SEI certified, and nothing about that was mentioned on the Tipperary website. The vests seem really popular and I believe I've seen many people wearing them in pictures from events, so I'm really confused :confused:. Will I be able to school/compete XC in a Tipperary? Thanks in advance!

azeventer
Dec. 31, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hello Cothers!

I have been reading this forum for about a year now, and finally decided to join. I have been riding for about 7 years. I started out doing open pleasure shows, and then got tired of it, so I switched to eventing :D I do have a trainer, but I had a quick question regarding attire rules that I would greatly appreciated advice on....

In the eventing rulebook it says:
"A body protecting vest must be worn warming-up for and in the cross-country test.
Stable, team or club colors are permitted. The Federation recommends that the vest
should pass or surpass the current ASTM standard F1937 or be certified by the Safety
Equipment Institute. Inflatable vests are permitted only when worn over a body protecting
vest."

Does this mean I cannot use the Tipperary Eventer vest that I just got for Christmas? I read on another forum that Tipperarys are not ATSM/SEI certified, and nothing about that was mentioned on the Tipperary website. The vests seem really popular and I believe I've seen many people wearing them in pictures from events, so I'm really confused :confused:. Will I be able to school/compete XC in a Tipperary? Thanks in advance!

They RECOMMEND an ATSM/SEI certified vest. It is not required that it is certified. I have evented in recognized events for years in my Tipperary. It is perfectly legal. Apparently the reason it is not certified is because of it's multiple interlocking tiny panel design thingy....makes it more comfortable in my opinion, but adds a risk of being impaled on a stick/branch in between the panels. Never heard of that happening, but nevertheless.....I am not planning on getting rid of my Tipperary based on that. :)

abbbalonian twist
Dec. 31, 2011, 03:00 PM
Aha- knew that it was a dumb question! Sorry about that! Thanks so much :)

azeventer
Dec. 31, 2011, 03:04 PM
Aha- knew that it was a dumb question! Sorry about that! Thanks so much :)

Oh no such thing as dumb questions, no worries! I can see how it is confusing, the way it is worded! Have fun! Welcome to eventing!

Cruiser12
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
I have always wondered about that too, I've only done one real horse trial, and all the others have been CTs so it was never an issue. But I also have a Tipperary and see them all the time, so I"m glad that you asked! And I'm glad someone answered so clearly.