PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Eventing/Pony Club Barn in Virginia Beach Area!

Jamie2337
Dec. 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hi there! I was hoping I could get some advice on barns in the Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk or Newport News area of Virginia.

My husband took a job in Norfolk and we will be moving there this summer. We went over Christmas to get an idea of the area and even checked out several barns. All the barns we saw were more hunter focused.

I ride, as well as my 9 year old daughter. We have been at a family friendly barn here in Missouri and shown the local hunter circuit but I would really like to find a more eventing-focused barn and get my daughter involved in Pony Club. I think getting her involved in eventing will make her a more well rounded rider, and really develop her horsemanship skills.

I went to Rocking Horse in November to groom for a friend and was overwhelmed with the friendliness and sense of teamwork the eventers showed...wasn't anything like our local hunter circuit, and would love to find a barn with that kind of attitude and friendliness.

So, anyhow...does anyone know of barns in this area which would be a good fit for us?

Thanks in advance! :)

sheltona01
Dec. 31, 2011, 09:57 PM
I live in Norfolk. What area were you planning on livinig? There is not a lot of eventing here in the VB or Norfolk area. If you get out towards Suffolk there maybe more options. However if depends on your tolerence for a commute.

When I moved here I was very dissapointed in the lack of eventing in the area. I am at a Hunter barn because i could not find eventing within a reasonable commute.

Please PM the barns you looked at and I can maybe tell you more about them.

Jamie2337
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:38 AM
PM'ed ya!

Auburn
Jan. 1, 2012, 10:08 AM
I have a good friend who moved to Chesapeake, VA. She events, too. She ended up moving to a friend's barn 50 miles away on the Outerbanks of NC.

She has been very disappointed that there were no eventing barns, or events, close to her.

Good luck with your search!

LisaB
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:28 PM
The only person I know of in the area is Debbie Rodriguez in Williamsburg. She's a judge and great person to teach.

Calamber
Jan. 3, 2012, 08:35 PM
Sali Gear with Calypso Run Farm in Virginia Beach. Rated Pony Club judge/trainer and very connected to whatever there is of eventing in that area. Lots of children activity at her barn and she is just a very good person. She is the local leader of Pony Club. Not sure what is going on at the barn now but it is a nice area and nice smaller, friendly barn. Tell her Amber said hello from Washington State!