PDA

View Full Version : pony club level B vs eventing

ivy62
Dec. 31, 2011, 04:48 AM
Some friends of mine found a horse for me to go look at. As hard as it is, I am going to go. But he did not event, his owner did strictly pony club; he got his B rating.. What level dressage and event level would that be equivalent to? I want to do dressage and my daughter eventually wants to event..
Thanks

Highflyer
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:55 AM
Under the old system, jumping 3'6 and somewhere between First and Second level dressage. Now it depends on what the kid specialized in, I guess.

oldpony66
Dec. 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
See if this link works:

http://www.ponyclub.org/resource/collection/8BC9D6C5-F255-4CA4-A992-1AC4E4F31B94/B_Traditional_Flow_Chart_2011.pdf

From the USPC website. But like Highflyer said, the new system means some PC'ers are not going the "traditional" route with the ratings so you might want to ask about that.

ivy62
Dec. 31, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think it was under the old system becuase the boy is in college now and this was a few years ago...I am hoping he is a nice horse and it will help us heal from our loss...
Thank you

GingerJumper
Dec. 31, 2011, 09:47 AM
If he did that rating on the Traditional track, it's basically Prelim eventing (1st/2nd level dressage and 3'6). Good luck on your horse search, I hope you find something that works and helps you recover from the loss of Tyler.

IFG
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:13 PM
However, horses that can do the B level test cannot necessarily tackle a prelim course. In the tests that I saw, the XC portion of the test was often just a few fences at max height.

besum1
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
while the xc is just a few fences the horse should of done a complete stadium course set to max height at the B rating... The dressage is 1st level

I think it's worth a look if the horse sounds nice and is in your price range :) You never know unless you go and look!!!

Duramax
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:54 PM
The traditional B is equivalent to prelim. The kids
actually ride a prelim dressage test now in the
flat portion of the test. The stadium portion includes a triple.
The height for the B is 3'7". XC has now been beefed up
a bit and the kids have to do more than just a few fences.
Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that the horse is guaranteed
to be able to go do a prelim horse trial but he certainly has
roughly the same skill set as a preliminary horse. I say go look
at him! :)

ivy62
Dec. 31, 2011, 08:20 PM
My major concern is that the video I saw of him being ridden on the flat, the horse was never framed up or long and low..always had its nose poked out. At that level I would expect better control...am I wrong? I am trying to learn dressage so correct training of the horse is key. I had that so that is the barometer that I measure by....I really do not want to waste anyone's time or energy......

Eventer13
Jan. 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
Take a trainer then and see what she thinks of his training. Were they flatting him before jumping? I let my horses go with their noses poked out more then, since that's how they will be jumping. They are certainly not in a "dressage frame" when warming up for jumping (although some people do that, it all depends on the horse), so it wouldn't worry me to see a horse going like that when he'll be jumping next.

If the horse go the B rating, he should be able to go in a nice 1st-2nd level frame. The only way to know for sure of his level of training is to try him, though.