PDA

View Full Version : Feeding picky eater Pop rocks

horsetales
Dec. 30, 2011, 06:15 PM
Eventers introduced me to Pop Rocks and now I'm hoping you can tell me how you get the picky eater to take them. My mare is not too happy with that Foreign substance in her feed, so much for me hoping its was flavorless ;)

Auto Be A Storm
Dec. 30, 2011, 06:34 PM
someone explain to me why pop rocks???

cadance
Dec. 30, 2011, 08:00 PM
feeding a horse pop rocks sounds like a recipe for disaster...? I don't see how that would benefit your horse at all, other than making them afraid to eat for fear of things exploding in their mouths after having it mixed with their feed. Maybe someone can explain this further...

reay6790
Dec. 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Pop rocks are a COTH term for coated omeprazole granules.

does she have wet food or dry? would syringing work?

horsetales
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Pop rocks are a COTH term for coated omeprazole granules.

does she have wet food or dry? would syringing work?

Dry. I added soaked afalfa and she ate it but was not crazy about it and it took awhile to eat. The moisture took the coating off, so not sure if having moisture makes it worse tasting

deltawave
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
None of mine is exactly picky, but the pop rocks are such a tiny amount--about a teaspoon-ful. What happens if you just leave them there? Horses taking offense at new additions is common, but those that flatly refuse to eat when left with a tub of food all night long are somewhat less common. :)

Mine object more to powdered vitamins if I go beyond about an ounce a day, but even that will eventually disappear if the beasts are left alone with their stomachs and the contents of the feed tub. :D

If you decide to mix them with something, I'd go with something dry. The enteric coating is compromised with exposure to water.

horsetales
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
None of mine is exactly picky, but the pop rocks are such a tiny amount--about a teaspoon-ful. What happens if you just leave them there? Horses taking offense at new additions is common, but those that flatly refuse to eat when left with a tub of food all night long are somewhat less common. :).

I thought that too, but to show her disgust she started tipping the bowl. If I was not there I am pretty sure she would have tipped and dumped (the stalls are not matted, so meds would be lost). So I'm hoping others have developed a trick to "fool" her without compromising the coating.

vanraf
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
I fed them to my guy and just bought a jar of molasses - put some grain in feed bucket, pour some molasses in, and pour pop rocks over molasses so the grain was coated (it drove me nuts that they sunk to the bottom and Mr pony could eat around them!). Problem solved!

tGievent
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:17 AM
I feed vegetable oil for extra calories, so it gives the grain a sticky coating kind of- then I just pour in the pop rocks and mix them up well so that he won't get a big mouthful of them. She'll get over it eventually, my guy was a little suspicious at first, but that has changed since he realized they aren't leaving the feeding regimen for a long time:)

RunForIt
Dec. 31, 2011, 08:14 AM
My OTTB is not so much a picky eater as he is VERY particular about anything that smells different..and he could somehow smell the pop rocks...BUT, I just waited him out, chow hound that he is, a few days of not wanting to eat all his feed were all it took. I feed soaked beet pulp with his itty bit of grain (actually is more like a ration balancer: TC Lite), so I would wait and pour the pop rocks in the bucket til right when I gave him the feeding. Poured all around, swished the bucket and fed...and they worked! 6 weeks of pop rocks and ulcer symptoms (girthiness, reaching back with his snake face when I put my leg on :no: ) all gone :yes: - and have stayed gone. :D :cool:

FoxChaser
Dec. 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Like tGievent, I use oil (rice bran in my case). My ulcer-prone guy is a hard keeper to boot, so he gets 3 oz of rice bran oil with his feed. I put the omeprazole on top and it sticks to the oil. He's been doing GREAT on it and now my trainer is using it too.

RunForIt
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
Like tGievent, I use oil (rice bran in my case). My ulcer-prone guy is a hard keeper to boot, so he gets 3 oz of rice bran oil with his feed. I put the omeprazole on top and it sticks to the oil. He's been doing GREAT on it and now my trainer is using it too.

Forgot, I've also added Rice Bran oil...love it period but very helpful with masking odors...:D:cool:

eventer_mi
Jan. 1, 2012, 03:21 PM
My guy is pretty picky, and he eats them without a problem. He's finished with his loading dose and is now on one sachet three or four times a week. I feed them when I come out to ride - I take a small bucket, put a couple handfuls of alfalfa cubes and a couple handfuls of Triple Crown Complete, add hot water, and let them soak while I drive to the barn (1/2 hour). I dump the mess into his feed bucket, go and fetch him, and right before I let him eat I sprinkle the pop rocks on top. He munches while I groom and tack up. Works for us!

stryder
Jan. 1, 2012, 03:29 PM
When I first arrive at the barn, I use about 2 cups of her low-starch concentrate, drizzle a couple tablespoons of oil, then top with pop rocks. She eats that while I'm changing my clothes, getting out tack, etc. Snarfs it right down. Low volume is key for us.

She gets other stuff in the evening, which I give right before I leave.

kkindley
Jan. 2, 2012, 08:28 PM
someone mentioned at another time taking a nutrigrain bar, slicing the top off, and sprinking them in the goo then replacing the top.

sisu27
Jan. 3, 2012, 11:11 AM
I use sugar free apple sauce that i get at Costco (4 for $5). I dump a blob into the feed dish and sprinkle the pop rocks on, scoop a little more apple sauce on top and feed immediately.

Works well.

Alabama123
Jan. 4, 2012, 10:46 AM
feeding a horse pop rocks sounds like a recipe for disaster...? I don't see how that would benefit your horse at all, other than making them afraid to eat for fear of things exploding in their mouths after having it mixed with their feed. Maybe someone can explain this further...

HAHAHAHA!!! I thought the same thing!!!!:lol:

OTTB FTW
Jan. 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
I waited it out with one of mine, meanwhile the birds had no ulcers.....

2 weeks in she started eating them. Any left behind by the birds, if poop free etc were added to grain again the next day. Cheap enough that I consigned myself to some loss, and eventually she thought they smelled normal and got over it.

I also added them to some tasty grain with sticky molasses, and not the hay pellets. Worked much better.

horsetales
Jan. 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone, I tried a variety of ideas and the only thing that worked was to break down and give her some sweet feed with a dash of oil and add the pop rocks. She still gives me the eye, but can't resist the feed. Luckily it doesn't take much feed.