PDA

View Full Version : M. Toulouse Saddles?

eventingVOL
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hello all! I am looking at a couple of the M. Toulouse models. I'm wondering what your experience with them has been? They seem like pretty nice saddles for the price, but how do they hold up? Looking at the monoflap Marielle, the Legano, and the Premia. Let's hear it all, good, bad and otherwise!

RunForIt
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hello all! I am looking at a couple of the M. Toulouse models. I'm wondering what your experience with them has been? They seem like pretty nice saddles for the price, but how do they hold up? Looking at the monoflap Marielle, the Legano, and the Premia. Let's hear it all, good, bad and otherwise!

I'm wondering as well...tree widths are fairly limited - nothing between medium and wide. If anyone can provide info on the type of horse and the tree width you've used this saddle on I would greatly appreciate this! For instance, does the saddle seem to fit flat backed horses or curvy best or both ? (can't imagine that but the info will help) Also, what tree width did you use the saddle on a specific horse - wide shouldered, mutton withered, high wither, wide backed, typical TB back, etc.

Also, are all the models' flaps the same length? THANKS!!!! :cool:

deltawave
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
I have the dressage monoflap, the Verona. I like it, but sadly it only fit my new horse for a few months (he was wide, now growing towards medium, and I bought the wide model) so it is sitting in my basement waiting for me to get on with selling it. It is lightweight, very nice quality (I am a billet snob and the billets are GREAT, it's my personal "thing" with saddles--nasty billets, I hate the whole saddle) and fit me well. For the price, I think they are a bargain. I was planning on buying one of the Marielles but I borrowed a wide jumping saddle for a few months and as the horse shape-shifted my regular jumping saddle began to fit him, so I was able to avoid that.

Boscoe is long in the back and sort of tube-shaped. :lol: He's sprouting withers now and will take the shape of a normal horse, I think, as he finishes growing. :p For comparison, I have an old Devoucoux milady dressage saddle and an old Antares jumping saddle, both medium, that both fit him well now but were a touch too narrow when I bought him. They are both every so slightly on the wider side of medium. My trainer's Antares dressage saddle, a wide, still fits him but needs a wither shim. A wide County Pro-Fit fit him very well when I first got him but became too wide.

Can't comment on flap lengths, sorry.

Erin Pittman
Dec. 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
I have the Premia and love it. Steuart wrote a review of the monoflap a while back: http://dodonfarm.com/reviews.html

Edited to add: this is an old article, so as far as I know - no plans to have them at the PA Expo like it says at the end of the review...

candysgirl
Dec. 28, 2011, 06:20 PM
My friend has both a dressage model and jumping model and LOVES them.

I'm not a huge fan. I like a much more minimalist saddle than those. They are quite comfortable to ride in, but I don't feel as connected as I do in my saddles. They seem pretty well made though. They're not for me, but I can see why some people really like them.

RunForIt
Dec. 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
I have the Premia and love it. Steuart wrote a review of the monoflap a while back: http://dodonfarm.com/reviews.html

Edited to add: this is an old article, so as far as I know - no plans to have them at the PA Expo like it says at the end of the review...

Erin, could you measure the flaps of your Premia? Even if the flaps are longish (think they run 13.5-14"-ish), it's the tree width that's more of a concern for me - big difference in a Medium and a Wide tree saddle...other than that, sounds like a good saddle for it's price! :cool:

pheasantknoll
Dec. 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
My friend has the Toulouse with the genesis for changing width of the saddles. I believe she has the Annice for jumping. She likes them a lot. She rides a 16.2 TB with a flat back in the medium gullet. I test rode and it felt like sitting on a wooden plank.

If you are interested, Linda at Classic Saddlery has very good prices and is very knowledgeable about these saddles.

HTH,
PKN

Fancy That
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
And Lynda at Classic Saddlery can also get you a CUSTOM Made-In-England saddle for $1100 baseline! :) I think the Classic Saddlery saddles are quite nice.

The M. Toulouse run narrow so even the WIDE isn't a super generous wide.....

chestnutwithchrome
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
I bought a M.Toulouse Claudine at Rolex going on 3 years ago now, and I love it! It was my only saddle for the first two years until I bought a Wintec dressage saddle, and I have found it to be a very comfortable and secure saddle. I even rode in a couple limited distance endurance rides in it and it has held up great. I clean my saddle "maybe" once a month, and the leather still looks great. I have found it to be a well balanced jumping saddle and gave me a lot more security in the saddle than I used to have. For the money I think they are an excellent value. I have a medium tree, and it fits both my QH and my warmblood mare quite well.

CBudFrggy
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
I loved, loved, loved my Legano, but ... you get what you pay for. The Legano is a close contact ride with comfort. The flaps are soft leather so scratch easily, but are grippy, grippy, grippy, as is the seat. The sweat flaps took a little longer to break in, and I generously oiled to help them along in the beginning.

It is balanced enough to flat on and I used to trail ride in it all day. It is close contact enough you can feel your horse's heart beating, rib cage rising and falling, etc. (I tried my friend's "Balance" saddle and hated it. I felt I was "perched" on top of the horse, rather than one with it.)

Having said that, after 5 years of almost daily use, I decided to spend my next $1k on a Stubben closeout so I could have a saddle with wool flocked panels that could be refitted as necessary.

The panels on the Legano went flat, flat, flat and I was unable to find anyone willing to reflock them with wool as they are shaped like foam panels but contain both wool and foam pieces.

I felt that since I put the $$$ into training the cheapie horse and he is really a much nicer horse than I could have hoped for, then he deserved a saddle that could be re-flocked as necessary.

Having said that, my (cheapie stoic) horse seemed happy in the flattened-out Legano as long as I used a fleece saddle pad to "make up the difference."

Oh, and for jumping the Legano, I never tried anything higher than 3'6" and it was fine.

ETA: The gullet (medium tree) is as wide as my fist at the narrowest point, and my horse is a 15.3 3/4" TB with an average build, medium wither and curvy back.

And I kept the Legano for those rainy trail rides/campouts. Hope this helps.

RunForIt
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
ETA: The gullet (medium tree) is as wide as my fist at the narrowest point, and my horse is a 15.3 3/4" TB with an average build, medium wither and curvy back.

And I kept the Legano for those rainy trail rides/campouts. Hope this helps.

EXACTLY what I most needed - so YES, this definitely helps - many THANKS!!! :D :cool:

slp2
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
I ended up buying an M Toulouse due to the fact that it seemed to be the only saddle that fit my young horses odd back. It does seem to be a comfortable and fairly good quality saddle for the price. I have only owned it for about 8 months so time will tell about how well it holds up long term.

Anyway--as far as fit goes . . . I have the "Anice" saddle. My horses back is, um, unique. She doesn't have any Arab in her breeding, but her back is very Arab-like---somewhat mutton withered extending out into a wide, flat back. Also--has a big shoulder that comes all the way back into the end of her wither. What made the Anice fit my horse so well is that the gussets in the back are "butterfly" shaped and flare out from the seat--so they really sit nicely on the portion of her back that is flat and wide. Other saddles with gussets that were built up and narrow, sit on her like a cheap party hat. ;) I have a MW tree and it seems to be true to size (her dressage saddle, different brand, is also a MW tree).

GraceLikeRain
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:20 PM
I have a 16.5 MW M. Toulouse Aachen Dressage saddle. My mare is a big bodied 15.3 7/8 Appendix. The Aachen is foam but covered with wool so that it can be altered a bit. I have been very very pleased with the saddle quality and how it fits my mare. I am attaching a condo shot in case it helps you get a feel for back conformation.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/GraceLikeRain1990/Weight%20and%20Muscle%20changes/IMG_2353.jpg

RunForIt
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:40 AM
Several of you have posted that your Toulouse is a MW, yet when I look at the saddles in different stores, they only list medium, wide, and x-wide. Are these MW saddles semi-custom saddles or perhaps saddles with the genesis/adjustable gullets?

Thanks for including the photo of your lovely mare, GraceLikeRain...she is built similar to my OTTB and an appendix mare I'm thinking of bringing home... :cool:

slp2
Dec. 29, 2011, 11:08 AM
Runforit: I bought the MW tree Anice "off the rack" at a tack store. It isn't one of the adjustable tree styles either. Evidently there are, or were, some MW trees made by M Toulouse. Maybe just for some of their more popular saddles? Not sure. I purchased it last summer, so it wasn't that long ago.

deltawave
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
The M. Toulouse run narrow so even the WIDE isn't a super generous wide

Respectfully disagree. My wide Verona is WIIIDE.