PDA

View Full Version : How much would you put in?

K.
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
Scenario: Free leasing mare from friend. Said horse has intermediate experience, I am trying to get over an irrational fear of drop fences after coming off a few years ago and not fixing it right away. The horse eats drops for breakfast. :D My current goal aside from gaining confidence is to do a T3D.

Horse is shipped to me, gets off the trailer very "stiff". Improves over the next week, but still not 100%. I got the vet out, vet knows the horse, my coach knows the horse. Vet's verdict (with out rads, but knows history) is that she will most likely need hocks injected (rads first), bar shoes in front, trailers in back, to go on isox, and Adequan wouldn't hurt. That adds up awfully quick.

As soon as I heard all this I decided that she needed to go home. I am not prepared to dish out this amount of money. period.
I called my friend and told her what the vet said. She said she would pay for the hock injections.

Would you keep her and see if the shoes made a difference if the owner paid for the injections?
Apparently the horse has been on Isox before and it didn't make a difference.

I really like the horse, I don't want to send her back. I can't spend my show season budget on getting her sound enough to cross my fingers and hope it works out. She was going to need shoes anyway, I just didn't think they would need to be anything special. I don't know if I should hope that shoes and injecting her hocks will help?

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
For me, having a good steady horse that I can go out and have FUN on is worth it - so I'd give it a shot, keep her for a month and then send her back if it doesn't work out, so you're not blowing the whole butget if she doesn't stay sound - only a couple hundred bucks for one set of special shoes.

All horses are different of course, but we have a few that get injections at my barn that only need them once every 6 months or so, at around $150 or less per horse/visit. I've paid more then that on tooth maintnance on a mare I had years ago, who also needed shoes on all 4, etc. etc. This is a moot point if the friend is going to be paying for it, but it's good to know anyways.

Just put it to your friend that you're only going to try to get her sound for X ammount of time, and if it's a no go send her back.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:58 PM
Option A) put a few hundred in and see if that fixes this horse
Option B) wait for a dead honest packer who is 100% sound as well as free

I'd be willing to bet which will get you in the showring faster....

Jennifer

Janet
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
You need to get your confidence back mpre than you need to compete.

I'd stick with this horse (and associated maintennce) at least until YOU are "eating drops for lunch".

I would NOT count on finding a free lease with a horse that can give you back you confidence over drops, AND has no maintenance issues.

PuraVidaEventing
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:22 AM

I'd stick with this horse (and associated maintennce) at least until YOU are "eating drops for lunch".

I would NOT count on finding a free lease with a horse that can give you back you confidence over drops, AND has no maintenance issues.

I completely agree with this.
I had a similar experience with a free lease, unreal horse with advanced experience when i had some serious confidence issues. He had some maintenance issues and we put a lot more than expected into him (adequan, legend, hocks, coffin joints injected-that was our last resort-, i think we injected a few other things, isox, aspirin) but it was all very worth it. I rode 3 shows on him before my vet made the decision it wasn't worth it because he just wasn't getting sound after the last show. My "thing" was trakehners and down banks-now I ride a horse who is not a packer, but 100% sound and b/c of my packer I now eat trakehners and down banks for breakfast and am successfully going prelim (:
ANYWAYS, yes, I would give her a shot because resolving confidence issues are far more worth it than getting in a couple extra shows.

Highflyer
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
I guess it depends on if you can comfortably afford it-- if you can't, it's not worth going into debt for, but if you can, horses like this are probably worth some maintenance especially if you aren't paying to lease. And you will most likely have to put 4 shoes on anyway, right? The bar shoes/ trailers should not add that much, and Adequan once you've done the loading dose is not that bad.

deltawave
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
Horses need shoes no matter what (at least most of them) so I wouldn't consider shoes, even special ones, a ridiculous excess. I personally think isoxuprine is useless, so would skip that. Adequan is great but I'm a firm believer in adding one thing at a time, so I'd start with shoes and hock injections, get the mare fit-fit-fit (lots of walking) and see what you have in a month or two.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
Agree that having the hocks paid for will help a lot. Shoes you will have anyway--bars/trailers are not usually that awful. Isox seems like an odd recommendation without rads or history but I am not a vet.

Anyway, for me the crucial question would be the horse's history. Has she been actively competing, or are you bringing her back from years off? Did she require any/all of these maintenances to compete in the past? In other words, do you have reason to believe that she can be kept sound competing with some maintenance? Or was she retired due to soundness 3 years ago and this is sort of a Hail Mary comeback? The more toward the former, the more I'd be willing to risk to see if I could get her sound.

K.
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone.
You are right, getting my confidence back is more important then competing. I guess since she isn't sound now I am worried that even if I try everything she still wont be sound. I guess adding the shoes and doing her hocks and waiting what? a month 6 weeks to see if it helps?

Does that sound reasonable?

chancellor2
Dec. 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Although I am not an eventer, let me tell you that having a horse who can help you get your confidence back is worth its weight in PLATINUM!
I am free leasing a horse from a friend and I've had him for a week and a half and my confidence is coming back each and every ride. I'd spend the money on this horse to help you with YOUR confidence!

smay
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
It is SOOOO worth it. Keep the mare and give her a chance to go sound with hock injections and the shoes she needs for support. We purchased an older ( 17) OTTB event horse last year who occasionally can be a bit stiff sometimes, and every penny spent on this lovely horse is worth it a million times over! As soon as she goes sound, you will be kicking yourself for ever doubting your decision to keep her!

deltawave
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:12 PM
I guess adding the shoes and doing her hocks and waiting what? a month 6 weeks to see if it helps?

That's exactly what I would do. Lots of turnout, get her fit with lots of walk and trot, and see what you have in a month or two. Good luck! An old XC machine of a mare who eats drops and spits out ditches? PRICELESS. Been there, had one, would take 10 copies and never share them with anyone. :lol:

Saskatoonian
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'd put the $ in - and it sounds like you have a good plan - even if it means you're going to have to skip a competition or two or three. It's the confidence you get back from riding this one - not just competing! - that's going to give you the ability to ride the less expensive (greener or trickier) later on. I had one, spent absolutely every cent I had on him, and never regretted it for a second. Good luck!

mythical84
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
I agree with the others that she's worth a little extra $$ if she'll help you with your riding and confidence. The only thing that I would caution is to bring her back to work slowly. I don't know how much work she was in before you got her, but I've found with my older horse, that it takes much longer for them to build fitness and strength.

But they are soooo worth it. An old Thoroughbred mare that loves her job is priceless. I put a lot more money into Pretty Princess Lissell than some of my friends have to put into their horses (I just figured it out to about $5.44/day), but it's money well spent. So well spent.

So I say give her a shot. But know that she may never be 110% sound. Lissell is 100% sound for her job, but there are days where I just have to ignore the occasional off step and go for a hack instead. But she's 19 going on 20, so it's just the way it is.

K.
Dec. 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna give it a go!
She gets shoes on next Monday and the vet is coming on Tues to take rads and possibly inject her hocks. I'm gonna say six weeks, cause she'll need two weeks after the injections before we are really "working/fitting up" again.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this works :)

Thanks everyone!!

enjoytheride
Dec. 29, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'd talk to the vet about "generic" forms of Adequan, there are quite a few options out there for IM injections that can be cheaper. I would not do the isox.

K.
Dec. 29, 2011, 09:31 PM
All I'm gonna do for now is put shoes back on and her hocks. I can't afford to do it all.

smay
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:38 AM
Good luck! I bet you will be pleased with your results and glad you kept her! I hope so!

DevilsAdvocate
Dec. 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Isox seems like an odd recommendation without rads or history but I am not a vet.

Isox is cheap and can help so a lot of vets recommend it because you arent out a ton of money if it doesnt help. And its one of those things "it cant hurt".

I agree with the general concensus shared here, having the hocks paid for will certainly help and having a horse like that is CERTAINLY worth the cost of her maintenance.

Hony
Dec. 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
The only thing I probably wouldn't do are the hock rads. Just get them injected. Any horse over ten who's gone intermediate will need them done so just do them and save yourself some money on the rads.

K.
Dec. 30, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hony,
I wish my vet would agree to that! He wants to see the rads first.. oh well.

Beam Me up,
The vet knows the horse, has treated her before. Although the owner said she has tried it before and didn't notice a difference.

K.
Jan. 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
She has new shoes!!!
holy moly special shoes are expensive!
I think she is feeling better, she was very frisky in the arena.

jump4joy
Jan. 5, 2012, 02:14 PM
You are getting a free lease and the owner will pay for the injections..and it sounds like a heck of a good horse to have a good time on. You've got it made...all my so called "show money" is going toward vet bills trying to get horses healthy..I would love to be in your shoes..

purplnurpl
Jan. 5, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm feeling lost.

~did you mention what your friend did to keep the horse sound?

Or are these soundness issues all new?

honestly, don't over rider your financial abilities.
shoes can be rough but if it's doable, I don't think that shoes/injections and such are odd for a good school master.
:yes:

As as last resort maybe try pentosan.
good stuff.

NoGreatMischief
Jan. 6, 2012, 02:46 PM
Glad you're giving the mare a chance - I'm currently free leasing a now 17- year old TB who has evented up to Intermediate. He's an absolute SAINT and so much fun to ride. I have confidence issues and have made leaps and bounds since October when he came into my life. I'm now looking forward to showing (small stuff!) in 2012.

I am a firm believer in giving these saintly horses the maintenance they deserve... in my horse's case the owner said she has his hocks done at least once per year. I'm fine with paying for them, as well as anything else he might need, currently this means supplements (EquiThrive) and when I have extra money, mesotherapy, massage and acupuncture.

I've had enough problem horses come and go in my riding life to know that the most important thing about riding these days, for me, is being safe and having fun... I'm having the most fun I've ever had riding this horse. :)

AlterEgoME
Jan. 6, 2012, 06:51 PM

^^^This.

JWB
Jan. 6, 2012, 08:08 PM
They can ship her down to me in FL. I'll put the maintainence in to have a horse with that experience that can help me build confidence. Just saying....

I'm taking my horse up to UF on Monday for an MRI to try and diagnose the mystery lameness and I'm watching my year go up in smoke before it's started.... So I'd kill for a chance to lease something like this right now.