PDA

View Full Version : 2012 "Wish Lists" for the Olympics

atheventer85
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
It's 5 days from 2012, and the Olympics are inching closer and closer. I've got 12 people I think have a legitimate shot at the team:
Stephen Bradley with Leyland
Hannah Burnett with St. Barths
Jan Byyny with Inmidair
Will Coleman with Twizzel
Tiana Coudray with Ringwood Magister
Buck Davidson with Ballynocastle or Titanium
Phillip Dutton with Mighty Nice or William Penn
Will Faudree with Andromaque, Fernhill Gloster Rebel, or Pawlow
Sinead Halpin with Manoir de Carnevile
Boyd Martin with Nevile Bardos, Otis Barboteure, Remington or Ying Yang Yo
Clark Montgomery with Loughen Glen
Karen O'Connor with Mr. Medicott, Quintus 54, or Veronica

Who do ya'll think has a legitimate chance?!!

mustangsal85
Dec. 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
How is the SB-Leyland partnership going by the way? I only recently found out that he had taken over the ride and was curious to see how they were getting along.

atheventer85
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:25 AM
It's great. The horse is super, and is just coming back into work after some time off. He'll shoot for Kentucky. They weren't qualified for Fair Hill, but they'll be ready to go in the spring!

mustangsal85
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
That's really great to hear! I like Leyland a lot. And Stephen for that matter. Sorry to hijack haha.

NCRider
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say that if Spring goes well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Buck on the mare from the Pan Ams. I don't know if they've got room to qualify for Rolex without rushing but if we were going to send a horse that hadn't done a 4**** yet, that's the one I'd be most comfortable with. It sounds like they're forming quite the partnership.

I'd also love to see Stephen make it back onto the team and Leyland is a wonderful horse.

I'd add Becky and her new grey horse onto the list. I could see them doing very well at Rolex (assuming that's the goal) making them hard to ignore going forward.

Also, absent disasters in the spring, MLM is on the team, don't kid ourselves. I'm not even sure she'll have to go for time at Rolex to do it.

It will be interesting to see who preps in England-just an observation but it seems like it's a lot easier to get added as an alternate and then named to the team from the alternate list if you're already on the other side of the pond hanging out with the team. Something to think about for sure-especially if you've got the extra cash to get yourself over there.

atheventer85
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
Buck's mare is already qualified. She ran the CCI 3* at Bromont last year! I don't know whether or not she'll run another 3* or go to KY though...

NCRider
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew she had done a CIC*** but hadn't paid attention to the fact that she'd done several and a CCI***. So I'll take back the "going out on a limb" part of that statement and just say if she's going well, that's the horse I'd send him on.

mustangsal85
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
We should also pay attention to the unique design of the XC at Greenwich. I don't remember who said this but someone said after the test event that the course is going to bode well to more catty, smaller horses. Not that this will necessarily impact the team but I would think it would make for some interesting discussion. Big, powerhouse horses with huge galloping strides may not be the best designed for a hilly, twisty course that the London course seems to be. Thoughts?

snoopy
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
The layout of the course is such that you will need at VERY fit horse. I would also favour bringing proven four star horses as one never wants to underestimate Sue's courses....NEVER!

NCRider
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
Snoopy, instinctively I would agree with you but then I remember that people said similar things in advance about the course in Hong Kong and the type of horse you would need, then the course ended up being way shorter than anyone would have predicted, allowing some of those heavier types to get around fine and negating the advantage of having a really fit and eager horse.

I haven't studied the results in detail to comment on other teams, but just on the US team, McKinlaigh was fine with the course whereas Poggio never got into a rythmn because of the constant up and down terrain and choppiness of the course and pulled like a freight train, negating any advantage of being really clever or having an abundance of stamina. I guess it depends a lot on how Sue sets the combinations.

I wonder if the Hong Kong experience is driving the selectors more towards the less clever/eager types (kick vs. pull) because they assume the course will not be physically difficult to get around but will punish eagerness and will not provide any room to get into any sort of rythmn.

I've said it before, but it's so strange to me that the Brits would go to such extremes to choose an unconventional and incredibly impractical x-c venue that gives their biggest rival a huge advantage in the medal hunt when there were numeous no brainer options that would have provided a far more level playing field.