PDA

View Full Version : Occupy Eventing....

retreadeventer
Dec. 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
OK. So I'm grumpy.

I know there are a LOT of eventers, and riders, who have to work for a living at a job that is not horses related. In fact, I'd be pretty close to correct in saying MOST OF US do that and shoehorn our horses into our lives.

I am just so tired of "I'm packing for Aiken" and "I can't wait to see my buds and go south". Jealous much? YES.

Who wouldn't be? Everytime I got out of the car today for work the wind and rain was coming from a different direction. I got home in the dark when it was raining the hardest and had to put soaked horses in and feed. There are so many good hard working trainers that stay north or at home, I know I have to try and ignore the happy, cheerful snowbirds who are delighting in making me green with envy...By the time I am retired and have time to go south, I doubt I will be able to enjoy it much, as by that time I am sure I will be even MORE decrepit and disabled than I currently am....I will have to get someone to push my wheelchair to the edge of the parking lot, the extent of my involvement will be to wave as you all gallop happily past me on cross-country....

Every year I say I am going to go and every year it just never works out. Funds. Time off work. Death in the family. Truck not good enough for the trip. Trailer needs repair. It's always something! Does anyone else dream of going south and never able to do it? I am buying the lottery tickets tomorrow.

flutie1
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
Pour yourself a good measure of Merlot, Holly. It wont get you south, but you'll feel better!
:-)

RAyers
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
Actually, I DON'T dream of going South in the Winter. This is my time to get all the training I need for the following year (2-3 lessons a week - jump, dressage and XC if possible). I like to play in the snow (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150473418167622) and just let my horses have time off! There is something wonderful about being in Winter that re-energizes the desire to compete come Spring.

Also, if you do it right, you lose NOTHING on those who go off to compete. I have started the year at a 2-star in the past after 6 months off for Winter and been competitive. Let them go and enjoy the empty barn and the training opportunities.

Reed

fooler
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
I will join you in the bottle of merlot. . . .

Even tho I live in the "South" a mere 1.5 hours from Aiken and Southern Pines - nothing is happening. Tight budget, family deaths, one more kid from the local military school needs assistance, the home building economy rolled over and died. . . Looks like I will be in the wheelchair next to you waving as the others ride by.

You bring the cups, I will bring the vino :lol:

kkindley
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
I know what you mean retread. I would love to go, just for a week. But we got furloughed this year From the 23rd to the 3rd. I could have maybe squeaked together funds to go, but no one's there then! To pay my bills, I am using my leave over the furlough, and I'm getting married this year, so I can't burn another week to go down later.

And Reed, I agree with you as well. I enjoy relaxing, and riding in the snow, etc. I had planned to take a couple lessons and go hunting over my furlough. Guess what. Maresy decided to get a MASSIVE gash on the inside of her hock about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I got to get back on yesterday and walk. :'( So by the end of my furlough, she will be ready to go do those things, but I will be busy with work.

Okay, I'm done my pity party, Time to open that bottle of Moscato and snuggle by the woodstove and watch a movie.

catosis
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hey, Retread!

Things aren't all that bad. For one, you are not in a hotbed of idiotic Southern culture. Ever seen that show about moon shine? Yep, that is the south. Pay no mind to ye olde braggers. At least you and your horse may have a nice, quiet winter in the great North!

retreadeventer
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
Pour yourself a good measure of Merlot, Holly. It wont get you south, but you'll feel better!
:-)

Yes, ma'm...consider it done! I'm already more cheerful...(substituted chardonnay for the merlot, though...) :)

purplnurpl
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:59 PM
whatever!@
thuuuubbbb to the south!

I want to stay home and watch TV January and Feb.

My horses just had 1.5 months off and they are fat and happy and I have no desire to show through the winter.

I'd like to save my money, put time into my (human) relationship, and get on Toby to walk in the back field. :yes:
Plus it's my motto to bulk up for the winter. In Nov I start living on beer and cheetoes. Jan is my month to lose the 8 lbs that I gain in Nov and Dec.

You've got it good.

JER
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm in the cold, rainy, dark PNW and enjoying every minute of it.

Y'all can have your South. :)

Today, wearing about six layers of clothing including a softshell winter jacket and a waterproof ski jacket over it, I went over to the barn-with-the-indoor to lunge my 3YO TB who is going through a bratty toddler stage. It was about 1 hour from cross-ties to indoor because we were working on standing still and then trying out a new bit (Fulmer snaffle). At one point, I was in full Charlie Chaplin mode, throwing a second halter on over the halter he'd shaken part-way off, with the cross-ties undone and the bridle lodged over one ear with the noseband firmly and irretractably in his mouth. Somehow, I got it all worked out without the horse leaving the barn or my feet leaving the ground.

Then we went into the indoor where the 3YO tried to roll, reared and leapt about when I told him no, and then spent most of our lunging session trying to swing his butt at me in defiance. Also, he wanted to carry the lunge line in his mouth. But I persevered and he calmed down and we ended on a good note with a long hand-walking session. We were both drenched in sweat (me under all those layers); my gloves were soaked through from horse sweat and slobber.

When I put him back in his paddock, he went straight to his water and drank a lot. I took that as a victory for me. He's smart and lazy, so he'll make it easier on himself in the future.

This is why I like winter. Everyone else is on a easy schedule, not much pressure to do anything other than inch along in our training.

:)

ACMEeventing
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, ma'm...consider it done! I'm already more cheerful...(substituted chardonnay for the merlot, though...) :)

Heeeyyyy, I'm drinking chardonnay too!

I would love to take 3 weeks to submerge myself in Eventer Bliss, but it's just not realistic.

Interestingly, those of us that have non-horse careers and fit our riding in between the calendar pages are probably the same ones financing most of the sport. We don't have sponsors, or deep pocketed owners, or rich parents(nothing against those that do :) ), we just love the sport.

I raise my glass to you Retread!

atheventer85
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
I feel ya. I've done the south thing (both Ocala and Aiken) several times each. I enjoy going south. A lot. But the costs outnumber the advantages this year. I'll drive down on weekends to both to show, but no wintering for me. Maybe next year.

Heinz 57
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm in the cold, rainy, dark PNW and enjoying every minute of it.

HOW in the world have I been on here all these years and missed that you were in the PNW? :lol:

I'm usually off work at 4:30, which gets me home before dark (wasn't the longest day of the year last week?), but not out to the barn.

I just dropped a few (hundreds of) dollars on a workup and then HA/shark cartilage injections for my TB. In an effort to provide us both with the best possible future and care, I've also decided to downsize and sell my other two.

Rode him for the first time after the the injection on Christmas Day and he felt abso-freakin'-lutely fabulous. Better than ever. I LOVE the off season for the fact that we can really school the weak areas, progress in all areas, and work on our partnership.

South? Who needs to go south! Paradise is right here at home, honey!
*Raises my post-work, pre-ride glass of cheap Pinot Noir*

Trakehner
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
"I am just so tired of "I'm packing for Aiken" and "I can't wait to see my buds and go south". Jealous much? YES."

Hey, you should have married better (it's what I tell my wife when she complains about her job). These Aiken pigeons have a good time...there will come a day when the idiot daddy, mummy or husband will decide, "Ya' know, she can get her fat butt to work, I'm done paying for her and her Speshul horse pals". Is it fair? Of course it's fair, these rather spoiled brats are everywhere...check out a mall at lunch as they're wandering around with their equally vacuous friends, schleping at the barn during the day while the rest of the world works to pay for their lives.

I've always gotten' along with the parasite class...but I always hated their attitudes towards my other female friends, the ones who worked. The parasites looked down their noses at these intelligent working women...saying snarky things like "if she were cuter, she could have gotten a guy to pay for her life"...or insinuating how stupid these women are to work. Very snarky and pathetic (these are the Middleburg types I'm referring to...grew up around them, and would never ever let a male friend get involved with them without warning them over and over. Some listened, some didn't.

PNWjumper
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm a H/J rider, but envy is envy is envy, so I'll raise the beer I'm drinking with the rest of you wine drinkers :)

I took a promotion at work a couple of years ago to manage a team of folks in the SE. We put our farm up here in the NW for sale assuming it would take 6-12 months to sell, and I'm sitting her 2 years in with no takers despite the fact that we're basically giving it away. My boss spent the last 12 months telling me I would be fired if I didn't move by "x" date (first March 31, then June 30, then July 31st, then September 30th, and so on). I promised myself that if we hadn't sold the house by December I would quit my job and head down to Thermal (California) for 2-3 weeks. But things worked out differently and I'm still stuck commuting weekly to the SE for the foreseeable future, so no Thermal for me! And boy, a few weeks in a row is exactly what my TB needs to work out what I'm trying to get him to work out.

Oh well, everything happens for a reason and I suppose I'd be a lot more stressed out if I needed to have my guys fit enough to show in a month or two!

Maybe I'll just have another beer :D Cheers!

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
I hear ya. I'm lucky enough to have a job that means I can ride during the day, which makes winter much more bearable (my paltry yearly salary means I have to board at a buisy lesson barn, so daytime it is!). I always think about how would it be if I could afford 5 figure horses and a competition winter down south instead of 500$ projects who lets face it will never go higher then Training level.

The fact is, EVEN if I did manage to marry money, I would always work, even if my "work" involved being a stay at home mom.

The cool thing is for me - there is a possibility of being about to "fly south" in future. My SO sells rugs from a large tent in mall parking lots, so spends summer up north, and winter in FL/Louisiana/Texas depending on the year. If I had my own rig, which I'm working on buying I could totally make it work down the road when we're married and I work for him full time. Biggest hitch is finding board under $1000 a month within a 2 hour drive of NYC, but I can overcome that.

CANTEREOIN
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for sharing it ... and how fabulous was it to see your horse come back to look at you... mine would be galloping away...

And going South is on my bucket list... just to be able to hack outside would be enough for me... I'm in MA and terrified of ice... So unless we have fresh snow, I'm inside.

The numbers never worked out for me. Most of the Aiken or FL dollars would be going towards my well-trained horse's vacation, not mine. So, we both work through the winter at home...

Kairoshorses
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:22 PM
I just wish I could get lessons once/twice a week. Anywhere. But alas, I can't afford to go for a month someplace. There are the kids, the job (though I do have a lovely break over the holidays...I'm also busy prepping for next semester!), and finances. Sigh. I would love to be able to take lessons on a regular basis. So anyone who can do that, wherever you are, consider yourselves lucky!

FlamingoRider
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:28 AM
And then there's those of us who live down here (year round). Eagerly looking forward to the few months each year when there are rated events less than 8 hours away, and wishing we could join the jumper derbies and schooling days that happen on Wednesdays when we're stuck riding a desk chair to pay the entries for those precious few weekends.

And then there's the winter guests, and tough choices because *everything* is scheduled on the same dozen weekends each year. So I wind up missing the art shows and concerts to do the events, or vice versa.

About those lottery tickets.....

Catie79
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
Reed, that clip was kind of adorable. I loved when he trotted back over to check on you.

As to heading south? My horse heads out Sunday, I'm staying here. I have a job and husband and all of that, so I'm staying here while my mare heads off for her winter fun. I know she'll be happier out in turn out that's not deep mud and away from the indoor, and my trainer is big on hacking out for the horses.

I'm just bummed that I'll be without a horse for a couple months in order for her to have that time. I'll admit that I envy the riders that don't have to watch their budget and ride late at night after work. One day I'll be able to just migrate south with her. Come next week I'll be sharing that chardonnay with you.

RAyers
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for sharing it ... and how fabulous was it to see your horse come back to look at you... mine would be galloping away...

There has been some training to get him to do that. I lay down in the ring when I turn him out and feed him carrots.

Riding in fresh snow is one of the greatest things to do on a horse. We used to gallop over hill and dale chasing each other in new snow. Winter is the time of renewal. For me I relive some of my childhood. I also still get lawn darted like I did as a kid too.

Reed

lstevenson
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:27 AM
There has been some training to get him to do that. I lay down in the ring when I turn him out and feed him carrots.

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

cindywilson
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:23 AM
Reed--You're training him to unload you so he can get the carrots? OMG!

RAyers
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
Good gravy, NO! When he is turned loose (in the ring, in the paddock, out in pasture) I lay down and feed him carrots so he knows that if I am down there is a likelihood he will get treats. There is NO association with throwing me to get treats. It is a trick that Bruce Davidson relayed (kneeling and treating babies so they associate a person in a lower position with food) to get horses to not run away when you come off on XC. I am too damn old to go chase after my horses when I come off.

What you see in the video is a baby who has cabin fever and just could barely contain himself. And you see he comes back when he realizes I am down. I didn't give him a treat except to pat him and tell him "good boy."

JER
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
So Reed, I couldn't help but notice your horse was sporting that Micklem 'miracle' (as seen on COTH! operators are standing by!) bridle.

If I get one for my 3YO, will he be able to do that snow trick thing too?

Great video. A far better, more realistic, more crowd-pleasing horse movie than War Horse. We should be taking out 'For Your Consideration...' ads for you this Oscar season.

Bravo!

RAyers
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:10 AM
I like the fact I got me in full layout with the horse getting smaller. And why yes, this is due to the miracle of the Miklem. I was using its amazing powers to levitate his front end.

If Rien uses even half that attitude and agility on XC....

Maybe I should post the rest that shows me back on hacking around more? It is funny how many of my friends around here posted riding in the snow pictures and videos after that storm last week. It is a great experience for the horses.

JER
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
If Rien uses even half that attitude and agility on XC....

Ah, yes. This is exactly what I was telling myself about my 3YO when he was 'levitating' in various ways this morning.

Mainly due to IFG's 'Micklem Miracle Bridle' thread and the COTH lemmings' (:lol:) experiences with the MMB, I've been planning to buy young Danny a Micklem of his own. Maybe I should hold off until spring. Or maybe just until it snows.

But Rien does look handsome in the MMB. Make sure you tell him for me.

RAyers
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:38 AM
Ah, yes. This is exactly what I was telling myself about my 3YO when he was 'levitating' in various ways this morning.

I think telling ourselves this is the primary survival mechanism of baby eventers. At least it deludes me into continually swinging a leg over these "thugs" as DMK calls them at this age. ;-)

Thanks for the compliment. I will most definitely pass it along.

On the serious note, he really does do better in the MMB. The bit is just a bit more solid in his mouth. I feel that I have a bit more straight forward feel of his jaw than in his old bridle.

JER
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:55 AM
On the serious note, he really does do better in the MMB. The bit is just a bit more solid in his mouth. I feel that I have a bit more straight forward feel of his jaw than in his old bridle.

Danny is very mouthy and is always trying to grab the reins, lunge line, lead rope, etc. He likes to carry stuff in his mouth like a labrador retriever. Today, he carried a large fake potted tree for a while on his walk.

I don't like flash nosebands and the dropped wasn't a good fit on him, so now I'm back to the plain cavesson with a Fulmer snaffle (http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=2418&pr=2141&pdesc=fulmer_bit_bi542), which is a full cheek loose-ring with keepers. The idea is that I'll have some additional steering help and he'll be less able to grab. It seemed to work well enough today.

However, I can't tell from looking at the Micklem if the Fulmer would fit properly. Do you think it would work with keepers and cheekpieces?

Amazing how young horses have the ability to keep you up all night with these thoughts. Meanwhile, I don't think Danny's losing any sleep over our training sessions.

LisaB
Dec. 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ok, I'm in a 'could be worse' mode right now. I have a horse and I have my health. I haven't shown in over a year because of the baby. And now, I don't know if I'll be able to show at all because Winston lost his eye. While we are working towards getting him to event again, it's always a real possibility that he won't be able to handle it. And with a new baby, there's no way I'm going to get another horse. Also, I can ride sporadically at the moment. But we need to count our blessings. At least I have my Winston and I can work on stuff. Like, actually having to ride him and place him better since he needs more help now. And I have a healthy baby that takes it all in stride.
Besides, when the people that head south finally head home, they are completely wiped out by May.

magnolia73
Dec. 28, 2011, 08:47 AM
You know what, sell your horses and your farm if you are unhappy. This time of year there are people STARVING and homeless. And while you are at it, maybe thank a member of our military who is freezing in Afghanistan or perhaps the family of a service member lost to war.

Yes, people will always have more and some of us will have less.... some a lot less. You, by chance and some hard work have the privilege of being in what, the top 97% of global quality of life.

Tasker
Dec. 28, 2011, 08:47 AM
I'm also going to count my blessings - just grateful to be able to ride and have the horses outside my door waiting to work when I get out there. A year ago I couldn't ride at all and wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to, so this much better! :yes: To be in Aiken would be a waste since I can't jump. :sigh: But I can ride!!! :D

I got to take the brown mare foxhunting which she seems to like almost as much as running XC, so if it keeps us happy (time out of the indoor and not such an emphasis on perfection, straightness and submission) - it's the perfect solution. Deep down I know it's not the same but that's ok. It'll do for now.

A good friend who is much more limited reminded me to focus on what you can do, not what you are unable to do. It's tough at times...but can help stop the negative spiral thinking & fretting. Keeping an eye on the calendar - we're not that far out from the official start of spring...so winter will pass! :)

deltawave
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:09 AM
Meh. Going "south" is one of those fantasy things I dream about when it's 10 degrees and snowing horizontally, but in all honesty I don't mind the winter down time that much. I like for the horses to have some, too. And winter is when I sell my soul, figuratively speaking, taking extra weekends and working on days off so I can take lots of days off in the summer and fall. :D

I don't really know anyone who does it other than my trainer, so I don't have to put up with a lot of the envy-provoking comments.

Now this winter the two boys are in work because both of them were idle for the greater part of last year so they don't need a vacation. But Bonnie is lounging in my paddock and feeling happy and content.

In lieu of my own going south, I am sending Boscoe in my place. I hope HE has fun, anyway! :lol:

gooddirt
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hey, Retread!

Things aren't all that bad. For one, you are not in a hotbed of idiotic Southern culture. Ever seen that show about moon shine? Yep, that is the south. Pay no mind to ye olde braggers. At least you and your horse may have a nice, quiet winter in the great North!

Whoa, Cat! As we say in the South, there are Yankees and then there are *****Yankees!! Have a nice (freezing) day!

Jleegriffith
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
Reed- that was hilarious:lol:

I really enjoy winter as a time to take a bit of a break. I work so darn hard the rest of the year that a bit less riding is an okay thing. I use the winter as a time to really brush up on the basics so that we are super solid come spring time. We are the crazy people out there riding on a frozen ring under the lights just as happy as can be.

There are always people who stick around that I can go to for a lesson to stay motivated and a few local shows to keep the babies on the right track.

I can at least dress for winter. I hate the super hot weather where you simply can't get cool enough.

If the footing sucks then we just ride at the walk. There is a lot that you can work on at the walk.

DiablosHalo
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
Holly - is it just your truck/trailer that is keeping you from going this year? If so - you can use mine. I can't help with time off work - but you can surely use my rig if you want to. :)
Laurie

Duckz
Dec. 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hey, you should have married better (it's what I tell my wife when she complains about her job). These Aiken pigeons have a good time...there will come a day when the idiot daddy, mummy or husband will decide, "Ya' know, she can get her fat butt to work, I'm done paying for her and her Speshul horse pals".

Hey now, us working broads are perfectly capable of sending ourselves to Aiken for a week or two! However, now that you mention it a wealthy husband sounds like a great idea :lol: Send any applicants my way. I promise not to snark on the plebeians once I've married myself to riches :D

sharri13
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm not headed to Aiken this year - but I am headed to Southern Pines.

Before I have frozen balls of manure thrown my way: my first time "heading south" was for March of this year. I am incredibly fortunate and count my blessings every day that my work allows me to work remotely from a warmer climate. They have allowed this in part due to my reduced work hours and income due to the economy - 4 years now and counting. Would I prefer full time hours and income? Absolutely! In the meantime, this is the company's way of relaying my worth when they can not do so with dollars.

Living in NH, the horses always have at least a month off to be a horse, interspersed with rides through snowy fields. I'll be headed down for two months in 2012, February and March. Perhaps my favorite part of the experience (aside from the warmer weather) is being able to walk to the barn instead of drive 30 minutes, and then walk to work instead of driving another 25 minutes. Being so close to the horses everyday is heaven.

Auburn
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
What gooddirt said!

It is quite rude to lump all Southerners into the same pod as seen on "realty TV shows".

So, catosis, Bless your sweet heart and have a great day!

I am a Southerner. I have planned for the past three years to make it to Aiken. Something has happened every year to prevent it. My DH and I are not wealthy. We are retired.

I will be 60 years old this year. Going to Aiken was to be my early birthday present. Oh well.... Manusha (shingles) happens.

This southerner would greatly appreciate it if you would not lump folks into a catagory, just because they live in the South?

Trakehner
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hey now, us working broads are perfectly capable of sending ourselves to Aiken for a week or two! However, now that you mention it a wealthy husband sounds like a great idea :lol: Send any applicants my way. I promise not to snark on the plebeians once I've married myself to riches :D

You also have to promise to not look down your nose at the lesser "endowed" sisterhood! :D

Saskatoonian
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
I was all ready to crack a bottle of shiraz to join Retread, til I saw that video. Now I just can't wait to start my new project! The only difficulty is that my very food oriented pony knows how to use a carrot-pez-dispenser and when it doesn't spit out the carrots, um, yeah. Tries to beat it into submission with a front foot. If you notice bruises on me, you'll know why. ;)

Thanks for the fun. I don't mind winter - though I'd rather some daylight! - because it's when I play. You'd be amazed how many people at a dressage barn are up for egg & spoon.

Tamara in TN
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
Everyone spends their money on what suits them.

I live in the South (but the upper mountain moonshine South where the climate is like N Ohio so I don't win anything there,sadly).

and I am about 90 min from River Glen (been once)
Chattahoochee Hills 3 hours (never been)
Aiken 5 hours (never been)
Ocala (quite the stretch at 8 hours) drove kinda around it once while in Gainsville/Newberry-actually visiting Jacksonville
KHP 3 hours (been once but have old friends in the TB farm community there)

Tamara

TheHorseProblem
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:05 PM
Today, he carried a large fake potted tree for a while on his walk.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ake987
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Okay, first of all, the diatribe between Reed and everyone commenting on The Video and Magical Micklem, hilarious. This was the wrong thread to read when you have to, uhh, tinkle.

Retread - I have grown to really appreciate and respect your opinion, as most of what I have seen you share has been valuable and thoughtful. I feel for you on this subject, 100%.

BUT - I also wanted to add that two members of my barn family will be going south with my trainer this winter, and I honestly couldn't be happier (OR more jealous!) for them, because they have worked so incredibly hard to make this happen, I feel that they deserve it, and certainly were not handed the opportunity. So, not everyone who goes is a spoiled Non-Workling, some people make Aiken, Wellington, etc. their priority and go for it. For others, it's just not possible. And as one of those people currently, we rely on Reed for hysterically adorable videos to cheer us up with our glass of vino of choice. (NO, I'm not drinking at noon.. but it IS five o'clock somewhere, mind you.)

Feel better, retread, I would expect that someone as smart as you is probably already feeling more upbeat today, however! CHEERS!

Pixie Dust
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
for people who still have a job, or haven't lost their home to foreclosure, sometimes they have to prioritize. Like sometimes they have to give up something like hunting, clinics, monogramed show sheets, a beach vacation, or blond highlights, in order to do something else they really want to do that is fun.

We learn these things in elementary school.

retreadeventer
Dec. 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
OMG - this is so funny!
Please more funny videos.
I think anyone who posts any pictures from the south or says how wonderful it is, or is enjoying packing to go south will be required to contribute one bottle of liquor or wine for each infraction. The bottles will go to the Occupy Eventing organization (me) and I will be in charge of the booze pile. I will distribute on basis of need, and/or hilarity of posted videos. Right now, Reed is the neediest and of course I need a LOT of alcholic beverages as I am the leader of Occupy Eventing. :) Oh and Flutie can be needy, too. JER, you are, as you know, naturally loaded so you are not so needy. :)

Should I put a warning in the title to the folks who have not visted the bathroom before clicking on this thread, or are drinking something while on the computer?

RunForIt
Dec. 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
OMG - this is so funny!
Please more funny videos.
I think anyone who posts any pictures from the south or says how wonderful it is, or is enjoying packing to go south will be required to contribute one bottle of liquor or wine for each infraction. The bottles will go to the Occupy Eventing organization (me) and I will be in charge of the booze pile. I will distribute on basis of need, and/or hilarity of posted videos. Right now, Reed is the neediest and of course I need a LOT of alcholic beverages as I am the leader of Occupy Eventing. :) Oh and Flutie can be needy, too. JER, you are, as you know, naturally loaded so you are not so needy. :)

Should I put a warning in the title to the folks who have not visted the bathroom before clicking on this thread, or are drinking something while on the computer?

hee hee and MORE hee hee...

I am about 2 and 1/2 hours from Paradise Farm Aiken...love Chardonay even though it's the only alcoholic beverage that gives me hot flashes, but by all means BRING. IT. ON!!!! :lol: :D If you can deal with spoiled rotten terriers, DH's rant and raves about sporting events (and talk books - DH is an AVID reader!), and a nonfancy set-up, stop by, lay over, and join me for my every 2-3 week forays to lovely, splendid, Aiken beginning in the next 2 weeks. Anxiously, with soooo much anticipation, waiting for RiverBendPol to arrive with emstah very, very soon on the Aiken stage...y'all come! Lellie Ward is quite used to me bringing my buddies to crowd her bedrooms and barn at Paradise Farm...:D :cool:

scubed
Dec. 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
Retread, great minds think alike. This will be revealed to you in a few days

ctab
Dec. 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
to sad and lost.

I retired my horse on Nov 30 to a lovely place in NC. Rising costs was the only factor. He is living the life I wish I could.

With him goes many of my dreams and hopes. With him goes many opportunities taken and many more missed or lost. So much of who I am and what I became is because of him.

While I do have other lovely horses to ride they are not mine.

There is nothing like owning your own horse and it will be years, if ever, before I know that joy again.

I too will be on the sideline waving and cheering others on and wishing I could be in the irons....

JER
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
HOW in the world have I been on here all these years and missed that you were in the PNW? :lol:

Stealth, plain and simple. I slipped over to the other side of the 49th parallel years ago.

I'm usually off work at 4:30, which gets me home before dark

How is this possible? 4.30 and it's dark-dark-dark here. We bring in horse at about 3.30 because it's getting too dark.

JER, you are, as you know, naturally loaded so you are not so needy. :)

I'm not sure what this means, although I can assure everyone that I do not drink alcohol in any form. Can't stand the taste. :)

What I do know is that today, I'm knackered after Round 2 of the Danny-must-go-forward rodeo. The new bit keepers didn't break, both arms are several inches longer but the session didn't run nearly as long. Progress. :) I have until about 10 tomorrow to prepare for Round 3.

Also, I might be a bit of a hypocrit because my mares are settled in NC for the winter. The competitive scene is just that much more convenient.

And also too, I will admit that my fat furry 14hh pony ejected me a la Reed last week, except there was no gorgeous fluffy snow and no helmet cam. Just me flat on my back in an indoor with lesson kids giggling.

Enough to make you reach for the bottle. But I stick to coffee and tea...

RunForIt
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:57 PM
Retread, great minds think alike. This will be revealed to you in a few days

so 'fess up, scubed...PM or otherwise, Retread will if you don't. We are blood sisters, pinky-promise SISTERS! so what gives...:D

fooler
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:04 AM
Retread - tapping into my inner Scarlett O'Hara. . . the days are getting longer and "Tomorrow will be another day". :cool:

Reed - love the videos. Kudos for keeping the language clean. Me? I am discussing whether the horse's parents were married:lol::D

JER - you need a short piece of rope for your pony to chew on. My gelding is happier & quieter when chewing on the lead line.:winkgrin:

catosis - My parents taught me to form an opinion of the individual, not of the group. And God forbid I should believe all that appeared on TV. . . ;)

IFG
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:55 AM
Not headed to Aiken. My high point of the winter thus far is getting a dump truck full of stone dust to deal with the mud. Not even any snow yet. Winter has been a bit of a bummer.

Reed, I friended you on facebook to see the video. Definitely worth it. Thanks so much for the smile. I was very impressed that he came back to you. Of course, I won't be lying on my back in the fresh stone dust/mud, but maybe on a nicer day.

Two more years of tuition bills before I can get another young one to play with. I consider myself lucky that my guy (who will turn 20 on Jan 1), is still sound enough for flat work and trail riding. I miss the jumping and fox-hunting, but such is life.

Oh, and yes, I am still riding in the Micklem. It hasn't solved all his problems, but he really does seem more comfortable in it than any other bridle that we have used.

Innocent Bystander
Dec. 29, 2011, 07:43 AM
OK. So I'm grumpy.

I know there are a LOT of eventers, and riders, who have to work for a living at a job that is not horses related. In fact, I'd be pretty close to correct in saying MOST OF US do that and shoehorn our horses into our lives.

I am just so tired of "I'm packing for Aiken" and "I can't wait to see my buds and go south". Jealous much? YES.

Who wouldn't be? Well, me for one.

My happiness and the fulfillment of my hopes and dreams rests with me. Being jealous of others who are able to do something I would love to do someday isn't going to get me there any faster. More the opposite really.

Ajierene
Dec. 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
My trainer and some of her students are going to Aiken. It is a bit of a bummer, but originally I did not have the money. I then got a bonus I wasn't expecting and went all responsible and used it to help catch up on some bills and pay down a credit card.

I reasoned it out, though, with military duty, I am going to be gone from mid-July through the end of the year, so no real season for me anyway. I am currently planning Aiken in 2014, to jump start the season, followed by the Training Three Day....now I just need to find a horse to ride through 2013, into 2014....hmm....

ACMEeventing
Dec. 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
Riding in fresh snow is one of the greatest things to do on a horse. We used to gallop over hill and dale chasing each other in new snow. Winter is the time of renewal. For me I relive some of my childhood. I also still get lawn darted like I did as a kid too.

Reed

I believe in this instance it's called getting snow-balled.

JP60
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:03 PM
After reading many of these posts I feel like I am in Eventing Heaven. Less then two hours from Aiken (and its family of farms), Pine Top, and FENCEl winter days that seem like spring, and me with a healthy horse....oh and that damn job which denies me the time to play in heaven (sigh).

Still, it is cool to be close to a place that plays host to such potential dignitaries like DW, Reed, Retread, (the list goes on). Mayhap I can get y'all to wear name tags showing the COTH ID so I can recognize the gods and pay homage properly as you pass by.

After a "get to know you" year with my new guy Sterling, we are using the winter months to work on basics. According to my trainer it involves riding no stirrups, posting no stirrups, riding one handed two point, jockey stirrup conditioning, turns that keep him up and forward to the jump, up and down hills in trot one handed while keeping him forward, turns with no reins, and even some two point, no hands canter working on turns (in an arena) ....rinse/repeat (i'm going to add the carrot lesson when the ground is not so damp). I asked for it (having a better seat with a Ferrari for a horse, and confidence to a jump). I'm past the point of pain in my body, it just always aches now. A good martini helps sooth the pain and get me past the darkness of winter. :)

catosis
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:17 PM
What gooddirt said!

It is quite rude to lump all Southerners into the same pod as seen on "realty TV shows".

So, catosis, Bless your sweet heart and have a great day!

Of course. I forgot the debutantes. :rolleyes:

DiablosHalo
Dec. 29, 2011, 02:06 PM
Auburn... LOL @ Bless your sweet heart!

enjoytheride
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
A girl can't even have a whiny thread without people tromping in the starving children in a Africa bit.

Wait a minute...

For less then $1 a day you can provide these poor pathetic eventers with money to go to aiken and school. Can't you spare just $1 a day? Clean water jumps, groomed XC courses, everything an eventer needs to survive. Please sir or madam. Operators standing by.

JP60
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:31 PM
A girl can't even have a whiny thread without people tromping in the starving children in a Africa bit.

Wait a minute...

For less then $1 a day you can provide these poor pathetic eventers with money to go to aiken and school. Can't you spare just $1 a day? Clean water jumps, groomed XC courses, everything an eventer needs to survive. Please sir or madam. Operators standing by.
:lol::lol::lol:

between the alcohol contribution and the $1 donation I'm beginning to see I'm on the wrong side of this, I need to move up north, get poorer, and/or marry up.

(and thanks for the laugh after a long day at work)

wolfmare
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hmmm. My favorite kind of thread, one you read while drinking a tiny tad of Shiraz...and sitting within the bask and glow of a fire on a freezing eve in Maine. If my nose isn't buried in a book.
And in a day or so- heading out to Aiken.
I'm on the other side of 55. Raised 2 kids- single parent. Managed to buy a house 12 years ago- still with plywood floors.
I'm heading down to Aiken in a couple days.
I worked in children's services- as an overnight crisis counselor- which included in house kids. Like over 13 years of overnights. My body gave out. I lost the feeling in my left leg. Worst thing in my life...couldn't ride.
Hey! Heading out to Aiken in a couple days.
My daughter got horses. Really GOT them. Pretty cool to share a souls longing with a child. I watched her head off to the world I loved, and yeah- had more than one Merlot evening wishing.
I fought the inertia that was causing my body to crash-I take a whole outhouse chock full of meds. Legal kind.
Then, I started being the person I once was. I started doing Equine Therapy again. (used to be called the Laser Lady) I was able to actually RIDE my horse.
And here I am- heading down to Aiken.
Got a destination too- for my horse and I.Thing is? I hope to h-e- double hockeysticks I can get there. And back in time for my sons wedding. And things go well. I have pretty much 0 cash. But- I guess I would rather die trying. It means enough to me.
Ummm- If you happen to be driving down a road, somewhere, anywhere, and you see a woman and a tin can, with a horse in tow...Honk!

RAyers
Dec. 29, 2011, 07:07 PM
Aw, pshaw! I had an awesome jump lesson with 80mph gusting winds outside. Rien had only one monster bucking jag. Yes he got me totally out of position but kept going forward so I could get back in the saddle and make the combination on the side. I can live with that since he is getting cleaner with his feet over fences. He is beginning to position himself better and is getting lighter on the leg.

Being stuck here doing all of this is making more intent on getting out in the Spring because Rien is just impressing me more and more. And I want to do right by him when it comes to competing.

So, go south now. Because when you come back north we'll kick your ass. ;)

grayarabpony
Dec. 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
Actually, I DON'T dream of going South in the Winter. This is my time to get all the training I need for the following year (2-3 lessons a week - jump, dressage and XC if possible). I like to play in the snow (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150473418167622) and just let my horses have time off! There is something wonderful about being in Winter that re-energizes the desire to compete come Spring.

Reed

Yeah, that looked like great fun. Thwump. :lol:

RAyers
Dec. 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah, that looked like great fun. Thwump. :lol:

The way I see it is if you play with babies, you are coming off. It is like riding upper levels. You are coming off at some point so it has to be fun in its own way. The key is to have short, super athletic horses. If I ride to not fall off, Rien and I won't ever progress.

Heinz 57
Dec. 29, 2011, 08:43 PM
The way I see it is if you play with babies, you are coming off. It is like riding upper levels. You are coming off at some point so it has to be fun in its own way. The key is to have short, super athletic horses. If I ride to not fall off, Rien and I won't ever progress.

Crap. I have a 17.3h athletic horse. Did I mention I came off over the summer after some sort of coordination-challenged acrobat-style mounting episode? I landed behind the saddle, left foot in the stirrup, thinking 'How did I get here? This is odd. But he doesn't seem to mind, so I'll just scoot over into the saddle.' That was the precise moment that my athletically-large behemoth decided he didn't think Mummy's joke was funny, and took off into a rodeo impression that every bucking horse would envy.

Mummy stayed on for two bucks, snapped the reins on the way down and went ker-thunk as I watched his best saddle bronc impression down the long side. It was nose between the knees, back-cracking envious. A big finger to the world.

:lol:

kkindley
Dec. 29, 2011, 11:04 PM

Funny thing! Breaking babies and riding at the track, I never came off a baby. Only older horses that had already learned how to be bad! So babies were safe! (That and they were crazy so you always had a finger in the yoke)

tuppysmom
Dec. 30, 2011, 01:02 AM
DD and DH went to Florida in January of '06. Parts of that trip didn't go so well.......still haven't quite recovered......so,

When I mention the idea of going South to either of them I get a huge "rolly eye" look and some unrepeatable wordings.

Oh, and DD says the bugs are huge there!

We were riding outside in sweatshirts today here. That's good enough weather for me, and no bugs.

Justa Bob
Dec. 30, 2011, 01:28 AM
The way I see it is if you play with babies, you are coming off.

Yeah - that (powder?) snow looked pretty soft!? :D

It won't be so soft in the spring...oh well.

riderboy
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:42 AM
Our boys. (and us) have just had a month off, I mean OFF, no riding at all. That's going to change come New Years Day! Our "vacation" is two weeks in Aiken in March. That type of "doing" vacation is tons better than two weeks of a "seeing" vacation which usually leaves us more tired than when we left home. We love it, plan for it and just hope no one gets banged up too badly. So, now that we are re-energized, the Holidays are over, (almost) things are looking up. Life is what you make it.

Auburn
Dec. 30, 2011, 11:19 AM
Wow! Catosis,

Did you just liken me to a debutante? :eek: My Momma would have been so proud. :lol: I am about as far from a deb as a person could be. Not even close to Junior League, either.

I am proud to be a Southerner, though.

I am still hoping that your comments were meant to be tongue and cheek?

OP,
I am sorry that you are not able to go to "the place that shall not be named".

My DH still believes that we might make it there in March. I do not. Instead, I will be attempting to make perfect circles on fresh snow, with a few shoulder-ins to see if we are on three tracks, just like last year.

And, I will keep dreaming that some year I will go to "the place that shall not be named". :)

Heinz 57
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:30 PM
Instead, I will be attempting to make perfect circles on fresh snow, with a few shoulder-ins to see if we are on three tracks, just like last year.

That sounds like FUN! I make my perfect circles in the mud. :no: We love us some good slop out here.

Today, I will spend at least $1600 on my truck. New tires and ball joints, plus whatever "the funny noise it started making yesterday" costs me. And with that, will wave goodbye to any far off dreams of vacations, clinics, camps, a Pikeur jacket and my weekly grande peppermint mocha.

:rolleyes: It's all worth it in the end, right?

RAyers
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Today, I will spend at least $1600 on my truck. New tires and ball joints, plus whatever "the funny noise it started making yesterday" costs me.

Hey, I just did a similar thing over the past 3 months! New drive shaft center bearing, differential service, new shocks, tires, door sensors, cruise control wire harness, battery service, oil change... (Yes, I did most of the work myself to keep costs down but it still is a big hit.)

It is all worth it because you can have a bit more piece of mind when you do hit the road. That is another thing about winter, it is time to repair truck and trailer without worrying about paying entries etc.

Mtn trails
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'd like to have a piece of my mind, but I'll settle for peace of mind ;) Nothing says security like new tires. Me? I'd love to head to snow country, even though I gave up skiing, I love riding in the snow.

Heinz 57
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hey, I just did a similar thing over the past 3 months! New drive shaft center bearing, differential service, new shocks, tires, door sensors, cruise control wire harness, battery service, oil change... (Yes, I did most of the work myself to keep costs down but it still is a big hit.)

It is all worth it because you can have a bit more piece of mind when you do hit the road. That is another thing about winter, it is time to repair truck and trailer without worrying about paying entries etc.

Reed, you're assuming I have any mind left to piece back together!

I am afraid of what "the noise" is, and I neglected to mention that my throwout bearing is on it's last few legs as well - which means I might as well replace the whole clutch while I'm dropping the tranny anyway. It still has the original (it's an '01), and we're just under 153K now, so no complaints other than on my wallet.

I better have a really good 2012 season. :winkgrin:

ETA: Just got off the phone with the shop. New bearings and seals, new hub, likely need a new rear axle. Add that to upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, tires, and the resulting alignment?

I think it is now the appropriate time to say, FML!

riderboy
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:20 PM
Aw, pshaw! I had an awesome jump lesson with 80mph gusting winds outside.

Yabbut, I hear tell it's a dry kind of cold out there in the West, a person can barely even feel it it's so dry. Now, out here in the Midwest, we have wet cold. That's what puts hair on your chest.

JER
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:27 PM
Our "vacation" is two weeks in Aiken in March.

Hello, Mr. 1%!

riderboy
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hello, Mr. 1%!

Actually, that's Dr. 1%! But I shan't quibble. I will say being a former 99% is quite motivating. :D

Rainier
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:45 PM

Also, if you do it right, you lose NOTHING on those who go off to compete. I have started the year at a 2-star in the past after 6 months off for Winter and been competitive. Let them go and enjoy the empty barn and the training opportunities.

Reed

Reed, I LOVE your video. That made my afternoon! That said, do you consider 2-3 lessons a week taking the winter off?? If so, then I don't know what you would call what I'm doing (horse has no shoes, no blanket, no GRAIN, no supplements, in pasture/paddock until February) :) This is the first time I've done this, so its kind of an experiment.

grayarabpony
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:10 AM

Ah well, I hope to stay on when I ride so I guess we're not on the same page. :winkgrin:

The snow flying up when you hit the ground reminded me of the time our tiny JRT pulled DH onto the ground as she lunged against the leash he was holding while he was climbing through an electric tape fence. It wouldn't have been funny except for the pouff of dust that came up when he hit the ground.

Bobthehorse
Dec. 31, 2011, 02:08 PM
Yesterday I had a sprightly romp in the powder with my horse, its so much fun, he really loves running in the snow. Im not sure I would give it up if I could....though cramming tight little exercises into the indoor all winter does get old.

Many times I wish there were just a few more events in the season, it always seems like just as we get it together its over, but I also love how hungry we both are for xc in the spring after a winter off showing.

fooler
Dec. 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
Actually, that's Dr. 1%! But I shan't quibble. I will say being a former 99% is quite motivating. :D

Love this!!:cool:

catosis
Dec. 31, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wow! Catosis,

Did you just liken me to a debutante? :eek: My Momma would have been so proud. :lol: I am about as far from a deb as a person could be. Not even close to Junior League, either.

I am proud to be a Southerner, though.

I am still hoping that your comments were meant to be tongue and cheek?

Yes! I, too, am a Southerner, although not by choice. I love the South and think it is beautiful, but I am not as passionate about its inhabitants and their often backwards way of thinking. I know there are exceptions to this, but have experienced some very uhm... Interesting viewpoints, especially living in the typical old moneyed, blue blooded mill town.

Duckz
Dec. 31, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hey riderboy, which weeks in March will you be in Aiken? Sporting Days the weekend of Mar 4? I need helmet cam tips! :lol:

fooler
Dec. 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
Yes! I, too, am a Southerner, although not by choice. I love the South and think it is beautiful, but I am not as passionate about its inhabitants and their often backwards way of thinking. I know there are exceptions to this, but have experienced some very uhm... Interesting viewpoints, especially living in the typical old moneyed, blue blooded mill town.

Speaking as a Southerner who has lived all over the US and overseas plus with friends and 'family' from other environs. The US South does not have a hold on "backward ways of thinking", rednecks or even 'old moneyed' attitudes. It is just 'politically correct' to consider everyone but "us Southerners" as being open-minded and oh-so-cool.

Broaden your horizons and your mind.;)

riderboy
Dec. 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hey riderboy, which weeks in March will you be in Aiken? Sporting Days the weekend of Mar 4? I need helmet cam tips! :lol:

First two weeks! We generally don't show, the spring training is scary enough!

Tux61096
Dec. 31, 2011, 06:57 PM
Well, good luck to all of you out there whether you are going South or not!!

I understand the envy though, I used to always dream of doing the Aiken thing. These days though, I dream of having an event horse or potential event horse again, see I got caught up and "saved" a mare from the meat pen and she wants no part of any competitive career, but I took responsibility for her and I must honor that. My last event, 2004, but my loved ones are all healthy and I am employed so guess I am lucky!

Just remember there are those of us out here that need to ride vicariously through you, fellow COTHers, please keep the entertainment coming!!!

Carolinadreamin'
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:05 PM

Well bless your heart.

ExtravagentEventer
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:14 PM
Sorry all I'm headed South! 4th year! Except ill be competing at Sporting Days! It is my only time for multiple lessons. I unfortunately don't get to lesson year around. But this is my bootcamp time.
Anyone else headed down? We'll be there Feb 25th - March 5th.

catosis
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
Speaking as a Southerner who has lived all over the US and overseas plus with friends and 'family' from other environs. The US South does not have a hold on "backward ways of thinking", rednecks or even 'old moneyed' attitudes. It is just 'politically correct' to consider everyone but "us Southerners" as being open-minded and oh-so-cool.

Broaden your horizons and your mind.;)

I am not so disillusioned as to think the North doesn't have its faults... Actually, never mind. I am just not on Team America. Wait, that's wrong too... Team Human. Yes, that's the one. Oh humanity, or rather, inhumanity.

But seriously, I still don't like the South. And I don't think my heart is the one that needs blessing what with all that lard and fried food. ;)

ACMEeventing
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:49 PM

Ouch. Maybe you'd better quit while you're ahead.

catosis
Dec. 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
Ouch. Maybe you'd better quit while you're ahead.

Eh, whatever. Hate me if you want.

ezmissg
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:20 AM
So, I'm enjoying a quiet evening cyber-visiting with common-minded souls, when I'm startled by this comment:

WTF? Which left field did THAT come out of?

OK, now you've got my Southern blood up. I'm a Southerner through and through. I love the South like you love family members or best friends -- you recognize their faults as well as their virtues, yet you love them anyway. If you're not here by choice, please re-locate and let someone else take your place. Everyone will be happier.

I am not so disillusioned as to think the North doesn't have its faults... Actually, never mind. I am just not on Team America. Wait, that's wrong too... Team Human. Yes, that's the one. Oh humanity, or rather, inhumanity.

But seriously, I still don't like the South. And I don't think my heart is the one that needs blessing what with all that lard and fried food. ;)

OH, WAIT! I SEE! Your contempt isn't merely regional. It's GLOBAL.

Have you ever considered the saying "Wherever you go, there you are"? Never mind.

But, darlin', your heart does need blessing because it's way harder than our arteries.

Nah, I think you're doing a good enough job of that all by your lonesome.

Whew! OK, I feel better now.

catosis
Jan. 1, 2012, 01:44 AM
"Not by choice", meaning that I do not choose to be here. I am sure you understand perfectly well what I mean, seeing as how your own location is "Not By Choice". That makes the leaving part a little bit difficult, don't you agree?

Never mind that the original post was merely my attempt at lightheartedly consoling the OP, but apparently all satire is completely lost in text. My latter posts are reflective of my views of the South, but that is merely from my experiences here (minus the thing about debutantes, because bless my heart! Lord knows someone will go and dig that up in order to further flame me for my opinion). Let's make note, though, that I said there are exceptions. And I do not feel that I have to like the South for any particular reason. Am I not allowed to have my own views, lest they should not be in complete agreeance with those of everyone else? But by all means, please continue to call me ignorant, unworldly, and any other insulting thing you can manage to think of. I'll just be sitting here in the land of NASCAR where every other person I see in the next county over has a Confederate flag emblazoned on the back of their trucks. :dead:

riderboy
Jan. 1, 2012, 08:48 AM
Wow, Disliking an entire geographic region of the country and not because of crappy weather. How does that make you any different than Bubba NASCAR with the Stars and Bars flag on his truck? Who, I'm sure, you would wave off if he stopped to help you change a flat on the highway. Personally, I find that identifying what I have in common with people rather than comparing our differences a lot more satisfying in the human relations arena. Great post, ezmissg, you're right, you've got to bloom where you're planted, or life is really gonna suck.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 1, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ha.:D

When I asked my niece about the biggest difference between living in SC and NY, she replied, "In SC I've never had time to get the jack out of the trunk before some guy pulled over and changed my tire for me. In Rochester, the tow truck driver left me by the side of the road in the snow."

Poor little dixie chicken. I must teach her how to change a tire herself before she heads back north.:)

Reed - what a great video! Thanks for posting it! I made almost that same unplanned dismount just before Tsgivng! Only there was no snow and lots of cussing.

Innocent Bystander
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:19 PM
Ouch. Maybe you'd better quit while you're ahead.Oops, too late.

Innocent Bystander
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:21 PM
Catosis, I'm trying to figure out why you are inviting people to hate you. It seems like they are already crashing that party without you asking.

Justa Bob
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
Ok, can we return to our regularly scheduled hilarious and deeply entertaining channel, aka thread!?

Just can't think of anything entertaining...any other takers? Maybe another cuppa joe will help....

Happy 2012 all!

catosis
Jan. 1, 2012, 12:54 PM
Wow, Disliking an entire geographic region of the country and not because of crappy weather. How does that make you any different than Bubba NASCAR with the Stars and Bars flag on his truck? Who, I'm sure, you would wave off if he stopped to help you change a flat on the highway. Personally, I find that identifying what I have in common with people rather than comparing our differences a lot more satisfying in the human relations arena. Great post, ezmissg, you're right, you've got to bloom where you're planted, or life is really gonna suck.

Isn't it lucky, then, that I can change my own tire? You are right, though. Your world view is eminently superior to mine. I am wrong in every possible way, should acquiesce to this fact, and love love LOVE the South because everyone says I should. Thank you for the correction. Happy New Year, everyone, from good ol' Dixie.

JER
Jan. 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
1. I changed a tire last week. On my trailer. In Canada. I've done that in the lower 48 as well, and changing a tire is changing a tire. Usually, anyway.

2. A friend once had his crappy car break down outside a fundamentalist religious compound in Alabama. He went to the gate and asked for water for his radiator. The gentleman at the gate, who was holding a shotgun, told him he'd give him some water but first he'd have to repent. Friend is British, was driving across the US for the first time, and was unsure exactly what this meant. Religious gentleman held up the shotgun and told him to get on his knees and 'repent.' Friend repented. Gentleman with shotgun gave him some water.

Yes, those southern boys will always help you with your car. And, I suppose, your soul.

Carolinadreamin'
Jan. 1, 2012, 01:49 PM
Would love to take some time out from normal life and have a chance for my daughter and I to train for a while in Aiken. It would be a fabulous opportunity for anyone. Maybe one day!

Toadie's mom
Jan. 1, 2012, 02:08 PM
Oh Reed, :lol::lol::lol::lol: I knew those helmet cams were good for something!

LisaB
Jan. 2, 2012, 08:14 AM
Change out Southern stuff from Catosis's posts and put in So. CA and that's how I feel about where I grew up. So, you don't like where you live, well then, move!

Eventer55
Jan. 2, 2012, 09:08 AM

Wait a minute...

OMG I've been sick for 2 days not even able to go to COTH for "feel better time", but this thread has made me a new woman!!! You people are the best.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

kcmel
Jan. 2, 2012, 01:29 PM
Well, I am from the south and I agree as a whole the culture is, well, let's just say a bit backward. But some very nice people to be sure, especially if you are of the right ethnicity and religion. But I also agree that it is not THAT different from rural PA, for example. The racism is just not as open.

But I am still envious of everyone going to Aiken; I do miss the weather! And I will miss having a trainer :(.

fooler
Jan. 2, 2012, 05:19 PM
For those who have horses ready for competition this year - WOOT!!!
For those who are able to migrate where ever, during which ever season to gain focused training - WOOT!!!

Just keep us abreast of all of you activiities, good and bad.
Good Luck to all of you.

Catosis - you have a lot to learn. You won't learn anything sitting where you are (where ever that is) and complaining. No hate from me, just sadness that your mind is so closed.

JER - While I haven't met obvious gun-toting individuals in other areas. . .I have met equally closed minded individuals everywhere I have traveled. Translation - People are people where ever you go.:lol:

JER
Jan. 2, 2012, 05:32 PM
JER - While I haven't met obvious gun-toting individuals in other areas. . .I have met equally closed minded individuals everywhere I have traveled. Translation - People are people where ever you go.:lol:

Certainly, my story wasn't particular to the US south. It could have happened in Idaho or Arizona or many other places, although it's unlikely you'll come across shotgun-wielding fundamentalist Christians in New England or New York.

It is, however, an American scene. In France or Germany or Italy or Japan or almost anywhere in the developed world, you would have a hard time finding an armed local to put a gun to your head and demand that you repent.

Personally, I think it's poor etiquette to make anyone do anything at gun point, and it's especially poor form to do this in the spirit of repentance and forgiveness. That should be left to the individual and the deity of his choosing, who might not necessarily be the same as your personal saviour. But to each his own.

archieflies
Jan. 2, 2012, 05:45 PM
Haven't read past the first post, but I must say... I am 'down south,' and it is deeeelightful right now! I would highly recommend it! :) This week it's been 60-70 degrees and sunny, and my husband has been off work to watch the baby, so I have ridden every day! It's been amazing to Occupy a Saddle for the first time since April!!! :) If it had been crappy weather the one week I had time to ride, I would be ready to protest too! Come Occupy Texas...

riderboy
Jan. 2, 2012, 05:53 PM
Haven't read past the first post, but I must say... I am 'down south,' and it is deeeelightful right now! I would highly recommend it! :) This week it's been 60-70 degrees and sunny, and my husband has been off work to watch the baby, so I have ridden every day! It's been amazing to Occupy a Saddle for the first time since April!!! :) If it had been crappy weather the one week I had time to ride, I would be ready to protest too! Come Occupy Texas...

We just started back up today with our boys, the very day the COLD FRONT moved in and the temps plunged to the high 20s. So I'm very jealous of you!!

Carolinadreamin'
Jan. 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
Riderboy, that cold front is hitting many areas of the south tonight as well! Temps in the low 20's tonight, brrrrrrrrrr!

By the way, there are backwards-thinking, ignorant, moronic people everywhere, take your pick from any region. Heck, a look at some COTH posters prove that!:lol:

fooler
Jan. 2, 2012, 08:10 PM
Certainly, my story wasn't particular to the US south. It could have happened in Idaho or Arizona or many other places, although it's unlikely you'll come across shotgun-wielding fundamentalist Christians in New England or New York.

It is, however, an American scene. In France or Germany or Italy or Japan or almost anywhere in the developed world, you would have a hard time finding an armed local to put a gun to your head and demand that you repent.

Personally, I think it's poor etiquette to make anyone do anything at gun point, and it's especially poor form to do this in the spirit of repentance and forgiveness. That should be left to the individual and the deity of his choosing, who might not necessarily be the same as your personal saviour. But to each his own.

Totally agree with the bolded section - especially when done at gun or knife point or any sort of weapon. However let us not forget NE's (mainly MASS) history of burning and hanging witches and heretics.

FYI - plenty of armed citizens all over the US - one of the reasons Mr. Hilter was reluctant to attack the us.
WWI and WWII are major reasons why Germany, Italy and Japan are overall unarmed. And only recently have rebuilt their armies.

True

katarine
Jan. 2, 2012, 08:48 PM
The most openly racist commentary I've encountered in my adult life took place in....

Pennsylvania.

I live in Alabama. Forty one years, and the nastiest commentary I've encountered took place in a place far far NORTH of where I live.

Go figure.

today's high was 53. It'll be in the mid 60s this weekend. Roll Tide, and good rides to all ;)

JER
Jan. 2, 2012, 09:44 PM
WWI and WWII are major reasons why Germany, Italy and Japan are overall unarmed. And only recently have rebuilt their armies.

True

Well, not exactly true about Japan, although the post-WWII treaties ensured that the Japanese Imperial Army would become the restricted Japanese Self-Defense Forces. Japan imposed its own export ban on military hardware starting in 1967 -- this was self-imposed -- but decided very recently to relax that ban (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/27/japan-drops-ban-military-exports).

Japanese civilian culture is simply not a gun culture. Firearms were banned in the 1600s by the Tokugawa shogunate (not, I assure you, an American entity, as the US did not exist yet). Today, there are laws on the books about gun ownership and background checks, but enforcement is rare. This article (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fd20071223pb.html) from the Japan Times gives some good information, including the lack of specific words for gun-related items. As the reporter notes, "Japan is still a very safe country when it comes to guns, a reality that has less to do with laws than with prevailing attitudes".

fooler
Jan. 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
Well, not exactly true about Japan, although the post-WWII treaties ensured that the Japanese Imperial Army would become the restricted Japanese Self-Defense Forces. Japan imposed its own export ban on military hardware starting in 1967 -- this was self-imposed -- but decided very recently to relax that ban (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/27/japan-drops-ban-military-exports).

Japanese civilian culture is simply not a gun culture. Firearms were banned in the 1600s by the Tokugawa shogunate (not, I assure you, an American entity, as the US did not exist yet). Today, there are laws on the books about gun ownership and background checks, but enforcement is rare. This article (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fd20071223pb.html) from the Japan Times gives some good information, including the lack of specific words for gun-related items. As the reporter notes, "Japan is still a very safe country when it comes to guns, a reality that has less to do with laws than with prevailing attitudes".

Not to totally side-track this conversation, but check this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_Japan)for a high-level view of Japan after the September 1945 surrender. Germany was considered a greater threat than Japan in late 1945. However we should not forget that Japan attacked many of its neighbors in the early years of the 20th century, as did Germany.
Both Japan and Germany disarmed as part of their surrender/peace treaties/negotiations.
It is easier to promote/recreate one's country as peace-loving when occupied by victorious armies.;)

Back to the regular scheduled thread. . .

Justa Bob
Jan. 2, 2012, 11:15 PM

OCCUPY SADDLE :lol::lol::lol:

And a DH minding the baby? Warm and sunny?

Enjoy for the rest of us. Especially that saddle.

Tamara in TN
Jan. 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
Go figure.
today's high was 53. It'll be in the mid 60s this weekend. Roll Tide, and good rides to all ;)

I remember being outside of Fargo ND...stopping for something quick and warm to eat at a mom and pop truck stop kinda place and the five men (on hearing me talk) stopped their totally interesting conversation on corn yields and quizzed me on my "place of origin";)

I told him Tennessee and one said (in dead seriousness mind you),

"My god how do you stand all those da*ned ni**ers down there ??"
:eek:

I about fell over.Dead. (In North Dakota of all places..what a place to send a hearse to pick me up...gad...) anyway... who talks to an unrelated,unknown female in that way? swearing and carrying on all hateful to someone you don't even know?? :dead:

I said in my best red dirt Georgia clay voice (which all Southern folks know as totally different from the mountain dialects,so that was kinda my little dig at those boys)

"Why I jus' don't know...I don't know any folks like that" and batted my eyes and walked out. I have learned since that they think nothing of swear words in regular conversation....

another time a SD guy called and I said "Production Acres,can I help you?

and he said after a silence "my god...I've called the South" non-deterred I said

"yes,which one of us did you want to talk to?":lol:

weather must be nice...one inch of snow down...19F and a 15-20mph wind

(Go Vols!! well....ummm...next year anyway:lol::lol:)

Tamara

Ldbgcoleman
Jan. 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
Well Im southern and armed but if you stop at my gate Ill probably offer you a glass of sweet tea and some type of treat. Im not really jealous of anyone in Aiken or anywhere else for that matter. I feel lucky to own a horse and have horse friends from all corners of the world. So come on over ya'll

JER
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
It is easier to promote/recreate one's country as peace-loving when occupied by victorious armies.;)

I did not say Japan was 'peace-loving'. I don't think it is, not for a minute. Comfort women, Nanking, Aum Shinrikyo, really sick and violent pornography, woefully underreported crime, and so on. I go to Japan several times a year (and have done so for the last 15 or so years) so I think I've learned a thing or two about the place.

Your point about the post-WWII treaties and subsequent civilian gun ownership was and is not correct. Japan's renewed military presence was a topic that has been very much in the news in Japan recently, including while I was there during the first two weeks of December.

archieflies
Jan. 3, 2012, 10:50 AM
We just started back up today with our boys, the very day the COLD FRONT moved in and the temps plunged to the high 20s. So I'm very jealous of you!!

Ok, well, I woke up to frost on the grond and 31 degrees... that's what I get for bragging. Oh well, hubby is back at work today, so no more chances to ride anyway.

Tamara in TN
Jan. 3, 2012, 10:54 AM
14F 15mph wind this morning

schools closed roads iced

Tamara

fooler
Jan. 3, 2012, 11:56 AM
I did not say Japan was 'peace-loving'. I don't think it is, not for a minute. Comfort women, Nanking, Aum Shinrikyo, really sick and violent pornography, woefully underreported crime, and so on. I go to Japan several times a year (and have done so for the last 15 or so years) so I think I've learned a thing or two about the place.

Your point about the post-WWII treaties and subsequent civilian gun ownership was and is not correct. Japan's renewed military presence was a topic that has been very much in the news in Japan recently, including while I was there during the first two weeks of December.

Disarming Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Japan)and Germany is different from civilian gun ownership. Both Japan and Germany disarmed/disbanded their militaries.
Both countries accepted 'protection' from the occupying Allies.
Both countries have, over time, begun rebuilding their armies and taking more responsibility for their own defense. As well as participating in UN actions.

I too am well aware of Japan's actions prior to and during WWII. I am also aware that many have attempted to identify the people of Japan as peace-loving and what happened around WWII to be out of the norm. Just read 'Flags of Our Fathers".

IMHO - All people have the ability to act cruelly or with great compassion. In the case of pre-WWII Germany, Italy and Japan the people chose to follow evil men. Currently I am slugging through Mein Kampf to gain a greater understanding of what lead to Hitler's rise.

Rallycairn
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:17 PM
I wish I could wittily and pithily give a little thumbs up to Catosis, whom I really think was just exaggerating a bit to be humorous, and if there's a kernel of real feeling in there, so be it, we can all have our own opinions -- and not that Catosis needs any help from me, anyway, lol --

still I hope as a lifetime Southerner that we can all laugh (just the tiniest bit ruefully?) at the stereotypes, and thereby show how open minded we actually are. I've always loved that old joke, easily modified to whatever locations you want, I'll tell it the way I first heard it:

Tennesseean at Harvard: "Excuse me, can you tell me where the Admissions Office is at?

Hahhvardian: "Sir, around here we know not to end our sentences in prepositions!"

Tenneseean: "Can you tell me where the Admissions Office is at, a@@hole?"

I'm sure we've all heard this in some variation or another. Now, should we modify it to be horse-related? Maybe Tennessean at the old Madison Square Garden asking about the warm up ring?? Or is the joke too offensive (I hope not, I think it pokes good fun at both camps)?

Or do I just need to go see to the ponies and get off the computer? Yep, I'm thinkin' that's the one I need to choose ... Anyway, hope we all have a great winter, whether we migrate or stay put!

gold2012
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Holly.....it is COLD here! OMG!!! Tonight real feel.....15. Today, after breakfast, went to turn out, and I HAD a MUTINY! HUH? My normally wonderful horses, turned thier butts to me, and half, looked over thier shoulders, batting eye lashes, and said....." get the picture?". They are still in with two more flakes of alfalfa. Several now, laying down, sleeping. LOL.

subk
Jan. 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
I wish I could wittily and pithily give a little thumbs up to Catosis, whom I really think was just exaggerating a bit to be humorous, Aren't we beyond calling a group of people backward @$$holes for not other reason than where they live (or the color of their skin) then saying it's humor?

JER
Jan. 3, 2012, 01:12 PM
I too am well aware of Japan's actions prior to and during WWII. I am also aware that many have attempted to identify the people of Japan as peace-loving and what happened around WWII to be out of the norm. Just read 'Flags of Our Fathers".

As a follow-up to that, you'd probably enjoy reading Robert Whiting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Whiting)'s Tokyo Underworld: the Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan (http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Underworld-Times-American-Gangster/dp/0375724893). The title is a little misleading; the book is a top-notch study of post-WW2 Japan and US (government and otherwise) involvement in organized crime. It is a really, really fun read.

Mourning Aurora
Jan. 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm really lucky in where I live. Though we have a lot of rain, its a good spot to be for the lower level eventing that I do. I'm only two hours away from both the Hoosier Horse Park and the Kentucky Horse Park and we have a LOT of shows all summer within two hours of my place. I don't mind the winters so much, but I am not a serious competitior. I do it cause I love it and I'll keep on that way forever! Going where it's warm for winter would be an amazing experience, but I know that I'll never be able to justify it. I work hard for my summer show season and in the winter I scrounge for a few lessons a month since I can never afford them in the summer. It's a tough ride, but I think it makes me value it more. I don't think I would want my mommy/daddy/sugar daddy/husband to pay my way even if they could. :)

But, those lottery tickets? I'm game for that!

fooler
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:45 PM
As a follow-up to that, you'd probably enjoy reading Robert Whiting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Whiting)'s Tokyo Underworld: the Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan (http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Underworld-Times-American-Gangster/dp/0375724893). The title is a little misleading; the book is a top-notch study of post-WW2 Japan and US (government and otherwise) involvement in organized crime. It is a really, really fun read.

Thanks for the book! I will download to my NOOK for reading while the weather has turned nasty cold (for us Southerners :lol:) and I am battling the latest version of the crud (sinus + bronochial cold)

Interesting - have seen two (1 comedy & 1 drama) movies about American post WWII Japan involving active and in-active US military and Japanese black-market/crime. Will see how this book relates, or not, to the movies - especially the drama.

fooler
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:48 PM
Aren't we beyond calling a group of people backward @$$holes for not other reason than where they live (or the color of their skin) then saying it's humor?

We can only hope.

fooler
Jan. 3, 2012, 03:56 PM
Aren't we beyond calling a group of people backward @$$holes for not other reason than where they live (or the color of their skin) then saying it's humor?

We can only hope.

riderboy
Jan. 3, 2012, 05:29 PM

Amen.

cindywilson
Jan. 3, 2012, 07:25 PM
JER and fooler - If you liked Flags of Our Fathers, then read The Imperial Cruise, also by James Bradley. It will give you a real in-depth look at what he sees to be the history behind Japan's WWII aggression. And the US's treatment of several other non-white populations. Recommended to my by my Japanese friend.

Trakehner
Jan. 3, 2012, 11:06 PM
JER and fooler - If you liked Flags of Our Fathers, then read The Imperial Cruise, also by James Bradley. It will give you a real in-depth look at what he sees to be the history behind Japan's WWII aggression. And the US's treatment of several other non-white populations. Recommended to my by my Japanese friend.

Now there's a big surprise. It was written by a man who absolutely hated Theodore Roosevelt and Wm. Taft. Somehow blaming them in 1905 for the Japanese attacks and total evil in their dealings with Korea, China and prisoners unfortunate enough to be held by the Japanese. There really is something rotten in the Japanese culture. No other country had beheading competitions covered in their major papers like the Japs did in WWII during their rape and destruction of Nanking and China overall. Crucifying prisoners etc....Japan's treatment of any other non-white population is both racist and color based. Oh well, those who don't learn from history will repeat it. Somebody had to make the Nazi's look better I guess.

cindywilson
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:22 AM
Funny. What I took from the book was that, apparently, no nations are immune to racism. The lesson ought to be that we should all strive to rise above it.

JER
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:46 AM
Now there's a big surprise. It was written by a man who absolutely hated Theodore Roosevelt and Wm. Taft. Somehow blaming them in 1905 for the Japanese attacks and total evil in their dealings with Korea, China and prisoners unfortunate enough to be held by the Japanese.

James Bradley had a good amount of supporting documents and research for his thesis. Which isn't really the same thing as 'somehow blaming them'.

fooler, enjoy Tokyo Underworld. It's a great read, and a real window into a most unusual time and place.

fooler
Jan. 4, 2012, 04:19 AM
While we are talking of winter reading lists - check out "The Valor of Ignorance" by Homer Lea (http://www.homerleasite.com/Site/Welcome.html). The book was written early in the 20th century.

Thanks for the lead cindywilson - I will get that book as well.

retreadeventer
Jan. 4, 2012, 01:18 PM
The thread that won't die....

LisaB
Jan. 5, 2012, 08:16 AM
Kinda like the Kardashian's, eh?

Trakehner
Jan. 5, 2012, 08:28 AM
Kinda like the Kardashian's, eh?

Silicone is amazingly tough.

Duckz
Jan. 5, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry all I'm headed South! 4th year! Except ill be competing at Sporting Days! It is my only time for multiple lessons. I unfortunately don't get to lesson year around. But this is my bootcamp time.
Anyone else headed down? We'll be there Feb 25th - March 5th.

Meee! Same time frame. I'll be at Sporting Days in the Training division *knock on wood*. See my sig link - you can't miss us :)

ExtravagentEventer
Jan. 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
Meee! Same time frame. I'll be at Sporting Days in the Training division *knock on wood*. See my sig link - you can't miss us :)

Good luck! I'll be there Saturday. helping. My friend is riding in the Training division too. I will be riding Sunday BN. My guy is a brilliant red dun PONY!

Moderator 1
Jan. 6, 2012, 09:01 AM
Though there was a recent surge of horse-relatedness, this thread has largely not been so in recent posts, so we're going to close it.

Thanks!
Mod 1