PDA

View Full Version : Custom XC bat

reay6790
Dec. 26, 2011, 11:08 PM
I've been coveting a custom xc bat all year! I finally got the go ahead, and I found this website:

http://lfowler1.photobiz.com/cart/product_detail.cfm?productID=95106&categoryID=22711

I'm so excited! He was so kind and called me today (I had sent him an email on Christmas day). I will post pictures when I get it :) It's a great price too.

I saw a post on this from a year ago, which helped me find the company, but he was just so kind I felt like I should share. I couldn't figure out how to do 2 different colors on the shaft of the whip and so he told me he could do exactly what I wanted. Even the popper is going to be in my XC colors!

Navy and Sky Blue :)

Hey Mickey
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
You really have no idea how excited seeing that link has made me

Congrats!
Post a picture after you get it!!!

akor
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but I suggest asking if or confirming that they are the lightweight, balanced kind (by the price, I assume that the ones in your link are). I have some of the "heavier" jockey whips, which I liked, but were a bit clumsy feeling, until...I found the "real" ones...it truly packs the same punch, but it is SO balanced in the hand.

I think Bit of Britain has them too...Thank you for the link, though...I love colored bats!

Of course, you may want a heavier whip. Just thought I'd bring it up since I was in the dark...

jen-s
Dec. 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
Please post pics and a full (non-website) description! I've been wanting one too but have been a bit intimidated to order. And we have the same colors!!! :)

NMK
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have one. They are very nice bats but a little large in the handle for my small hands so I've gone back to a cheap slim bat. They have your name on them and are typical jockey type bats with feathers. Super quality.

Nancy

akor
Dec. 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
This is the one I really like..(They have custom options too)...
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Custom_Jockey_Whips_Solid_Color_p/0200%20(b).htm cost = 35.95

"If you appreciate the feel and balance of a really well made whip then you will have to try these out. Not a aficionado of whips? Well, for those of you who are slaves to fashion there are hundreds of custom color combinations available so you can be perfectly color coordinated. If you don't see your favorite color listed or need a different length, please give us a call."

The handle does't seem thick to me, as opposed to the ones I first got (link below)...I do have bigger hands, though, but not really big hands..

http://www.bigdweb.com/RACING-BATS-30in/productinfo/659J/

But, with a cost of 8.95 each, they are almost "disposable"I tend to lose bats....Holding the though, is a bit "distracting" at first. I seemed to adjust though.

BOth pack the same punch, at least with myhorse

reay6790
Dec. 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
You can choose your handle size I believe... I guess I should've gotten a small handle then?

I will let you know how the balance is. I chose 24'' length (i most frequently beat a large pony :D), stiff, medium handle, medium shaft.

I sent him an email about the handle size. He said he would call when he sent it out so maybe he hasn't made it yet, as he was out of town earlier this week. I don't have an event until Feb or March, so I'm not in a hurry.

I will ask about the balance too :) I've never been very picky about crops or whips...but I'll try my best to give a thorough review!

The customer service was great. I emailed him christmas day, and he called me at 9 am the next morning to answer all of my questions and do the custom colors.

I just love matching! We don't get to wear cool colors in the hunters...I was excited about a coat with a lavender pinstripe!!!

Now for a matching helmet cover...

reay6790
Dec. 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
Please post pics and a full (non-website) description! I've been wanting one too but have been a bit intimidated to order. And we have the same colors!!! :)

Yay! I love our colors. They are our barn colors, and this season will be my second. I have kinda thrown charcoal into the mix too...but now I fear i'm doing too many colors!!! I'm on a blue roan...so how could I not do charcoal :)

reay6790
Dec. 29, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have one. They are very nice bats but a little large in the handle for my small hands so I've gone back to a cheap slim bat. They have your name on them and are typical jockey type bats with feathers. Super quality.

Nancy

Thats for letting me know Nancy! I will ask about him giving me a small handle. He had listed different handle sizes. I picked medium but if he hasn't made it yet I might switch. to thin or med/thin depending on the dimensions. My thick rubber reins are clumsy enough :/

-Handle (Thin, Med/Thin, Med, Med/ Thick, Thick)

NMK
Dec. 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Good idea! You can grip in the middle as the handle gets smaller when you move your hand down, but I kept whacking myself in the lip with the top of it.

Back when I exercised racehorses I had no problem but old age and some broken fingers=arthritis. I would definitely ask for dimension so you can get what you want. The Fowler whips are not cheap and you will have them forever if you can hang on to them (literally).

Nancy

PS Forgot to mention they have your name on them, very cool.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 29, 2011, 03:50 PM
I don't like the thin bats in my hand...mine is the "med" and I like it. I have smaller hands too.

I put a hair rubber band on mine (not supper tight one) and slip a finger in the rubber band while on xc...never drop a bat that way and it isn't hard to switch hands if needed (after you have done some practice).

Good luck!

Blugal
Dec. 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
I chose 24'' length (i most frequently beat a large pony :D), stiff, medium handle, medium shaft.

This reminded me of the descriptions of wands in Harry Potter :lol:

vanraf
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
I don't like the thin bats in my hand...mine is the "med" and I like it. I have smaller hands too.

I put a hair rubber band on mine (not supper tight one) and slip a finger in the rubber band while on xc...never drop a bat that way and it isn't hard to switch hands if needed (after you have done some practice).

Good luck!

I used to put a few braiding rubber bands on my BoB jockey whip usually right before I went out on cross country. I stuck a finger through one or two of them so they wouldn't restrict movement, I had an extra if one broke, but if I opened my hand accidentally the whip would stick to me!

I had originally stuck a rubber rein stop at the top of it (as was recommended to me) to prevent the whip from slipping downward through my hand - personally it got in my way more than it helped, but using that or a martingale stop is always an option :)

Also, put my vote down for wanting to see pics too!!! I still need to replace my BoB whip (didn't compete for five years... who knows where it might be now! o.o) - I loved that thing to bits!

NMK
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
Just another tip...put a rein stop on the end so it can't slip all the way through your hand.

I found that braid rubber brands break too easily so I use elastic human hair bands, which work as long as you keep the whip in one hand.

I could take a photo of mine but have no idea how to post.

Nancy

Foxtrot's
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
Agree withthe posts about balance and hand size. FWIIW the price sounds very fair.

JER
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
I put a hair rubber band on mine (not supper tight one) and slip a finger in the rubber band while on xc

The EMT in me cautions against attaching yourself to a stick when you're in a situation where falling is a possibility.

If you fall, you could seriously injure yourself on the stick. While you might be thinking facial injuries and the like, I'll tell you I knew someone who slipped on the ground while carrying a stick and ended up with a perforated intestine.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
The EMT in me cautions against attaching yourself to a stick when you're in a situation where falling is a possibility.

If you fall, you could seriously injure yourself on the stick. While you might be thinking facial injuries and the like, I'll tell you I knew someone who slipped on the ground while carrying a stick and ended up with a perforated intestine.

I hear you...but you would have to see it. It really isn't attached strongly and would break with any stress. Just doesn't drop out of your hand immediately.

Foxtrot's
Dec. 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Reminds me of the time at Mountain Meadows when I had my stick in the w/u ring, but by the time I got to the start box it was missing. Needed it too, at the little fence in the middle of the water jump. It had my name on it but was never seen again - and it was a nice custom one such as we are describing here. I would not have minded a teeny little elastic then!

reay6790
Dec. 30, 2011, 09:24 PM
Okay! Handle size fixed!

Getting a medium/thin handle and if i don't like it he will take it back and fix it for me until i'm a happy camper :)