PDA

View Full Version : BN XC Course at Southern Pines HT?

leahandpie
Dec. 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
Just wondering what this course is like?? I've got a free hotel room over this weekend (BF has a seminar at Ft Bragg), so I'm thinking about hauling up to the Southern Pines HT I on March 10-11.

We'll be doing Beginner Novice- Poplar Place is the course we school at home.

ThirdCharm
Dec. 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
The BN course is pretty straightforward. If they use the shade pool water some horses seem to find it spooky.. YMMV.

Jennifer

wildlifer
Dec. 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
Very straightforward and open, lovely and fair questions. Jeff Kibbie is a great CD, very horse friendly. If you are a BN rider as well, you may find some of the jumps a bit big, but usually only one or two on the course. There is some rolling terrain, but footing is usually very nice and CHP is a wonderful place to event.

snoopy
Dec. 24, 2011, 02:18 PM
If you are a BN rider as well, you may find some of the jumps a bit big....

:confused:

ThirdCharm
Dec. 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
LOL yes she meant that.

Glenbaer
Dec. 24, 2011, 03:03 PM
Per Omnibus, Jeff is no longer the CD. I really liked his courses.

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=calendar&event=14912

Sarah's courses are usually straightforward and ride well. There will likely be a small combination on BN XC that uses the terrain nicely (typically logs, couple strides inbetween). A pass-through water. Maybe an up-bank. Fence - many strides - ditch - many strides - fence for the idea of a coffin. Very forward and welcoming.

wildlifer
Dec. 24, 2011, 04:45 PM
Sigh. All I meant that if it was the first time for the rider at BN, the jumps are often maxed for the level. Obviously, it will look bigger to someone just starting than to someone who has ridden Prelim for 10 years or something.

On the other hand, I'm so sad Jeff's not the CD anymore.

Action42
Dec. 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
I found the BN course there to be very well done, straight forward and lovely.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
CHP is great. You will love SPHT! The footing is always good, the people are friendly, and stadium is fair and appropriate.

They've really expanded the galloping tracks there and it is truly a beautiful place. Keep us posted!

leahandpie
Dec. 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
That sounds great! Inviting and good footing is perfect... my pony is very bold but just a baby, and I'm rusty.. it's been almost 10 years since I've done an event!!

lstevenson
Dec. 27, 2011, 01:58 AM
Courses at the CHP usually flow well and ride very nicely. The jumps tend to be pretty maxxed out size wise at each level though. And although the footing is great, the somewhat hilly terrain on x-c can be a challenge for some who don't get to practice running and jumping on hills.

The events at the CHP are fabulous - best of our area.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

eventer_mi
Dec. 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
Agree with all the others. Not a good first event if you are on the timid side, as the jumps tend to be maxed out and the terrain is hilly (as lstevenson pointed out), but if you're gutsy and so is your horse, should be a piece of cake.

leahandpie
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the input!! I'm thinking that our performance at the next few schooling shows will determine if we make the journey :)