PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the quality eventers for sale?!?

PrinceSheik325
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:32 PM
This going to be more of a rant than a question, really, but I'd still love your input.

First, let me acknowledge that I'm aware I have ridiculously high standards for the money I'm prepared to spend (less than $50,000 please, but really, the more bang I can get for my buck, the better!). Second, I also acknowledge that I may never find a horse that meets all of my requirements, but I'd like to think that I will.

So, without further ado, I'm looking for my next partner-in-crime: an eventer with some experience that is an above-average mover (in case I just want to do dressage) and jumps like a quality showjumper with his knees up to his eyeballs. Ideally, I'd like something that has competed at training level at least because my job doesn't afford me a lot of time for training a young horse at this juncture. I have a lot of experience myself, though, so a younger horse is not completely out of my options. Really, I just want a horse with upper-level potential to take me up to levels past where I have competed in the past (competed through Preliminary).

Aside from several barns located overseas, I'm finding it extremely difficult to find any quality horses that match my specifications. There are tons of "eventer prospects" that are too young and a handful of "experienced eventers" that are too old and/or unattractive. I know there are "quality" event horses out there somewhere, so my question is WHERE ARE THEY?!?

In all honesty, they should be all around me. I live in Virginia, the "eventing Mecca" to many, but I'm telling you there are some highly-priced, really unattractive horses here. In fact, I've found that most horses for sale in the U.S. typically are over-priced for their experience level.

At this point, I'm most impressed with the horses being presented in the Hanoverian auctions at Verden. They are great quality, and their price depends on their popularity. I've been watching the auction results for about two years now, and I've found that the ones I like typically go for anywhere between 8,000 and 30,000 Euros. Jumpers seem to be cheaper than dressage horses, etc. My only problems with them are that most of them lack any eventing experience, and there's no way of knowing what they will be like when you get them home. But, I'm not sure I want to sacrifice talent for experience.

Any ideas where I should be looking?

Jealoushe
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
Well, I see horses like this every week on Sport Horse Nation for sale for at least half that price.

I also see a tonne of Thoroughbreds with a jump like that and nice movement coming straight off the track... I don't know how you can't find them.

There was a great thread a while back that had countless links of talented, fancy, eventers for sale.

Bravestrom
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
sent you a pm of where I would look

also saw this ad:

http://eventingnation.com/sporthorsenation/2011/12/lerryn-experience-in-dressage-eventing-and-foxhunting.html

PrinceSheik325
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely check where you suggested. I saw that horse on eventingnation, too. This is kind of what I was getting at - it's an attractive horse, but definitely not worth that price. I'd also prefer a better mover. I'm probably looking for the nonexistant here, but I love "big movers" like you typically see in dressage. I'd like to find a "big mover" that also jumps well.

faybe
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
Kelli Temple has a couple nice ones up on her site (if that Watermill Time horse is still for sale, he is absolutely stunning in person): http://www.kellitempleeventing.com/horsesforsale.html
She also goes shopping abroad and could probably help you coordinate that if it's something you were interested in.

While I know it's a personal preference, it seems silly to me to write off a horse solely because he's "unattractive"- if he fits all your criteria, are you really saying you wouldn't buy him because he's ugly? No points for pretty in eventing, and you've set a lot of high standards on a limited budget in your criteria.

Jumpingrules92
Dec. 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
My friend runs a sale barn full of NICE and QUALITY eventers. Check out www.aehorses.com- not sure where youre located though. Shes in nor-cal. She has a fabulous irish sport horse for sale right now. http://www.aehorses.com/brogan.html

OverandOnward
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2774269518815.154823.1320369260&type=3

PrinceSheik325
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
Perhaps it's my hunter/jumper past coming back to haunt me, haha. Let me clarify, though - the horse doesn't have to be "pretty" per se, but it must be a good mover and a good jumper. Color, markings, etc. are of little concern to me. I am most concerned with finding a horse that has some experience, jumps correctly, and moves well enough to just be a dressage horse.

Watermill Time is a good example of the kind of horse I'm looking for. Benny de Ruiter in the Netherlands also has a number of horses that look promising.

Thanks so much for your input!

netg
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Are you sure you want a dressage mover with big bascule and to try to get to upper levels eventing? The problem there is you will have an awful lot of trouble making time.

A horse going prelim tends to have tens of thousands added to its price. If a horse is going training well, moving as nicely as you want, and ready - the owners are smart to hang on and go prelim with it for the jump in price probably to far beyond your budget.

My horse is an OTTB who fit your description exactly when he was for sale, but I think you would have turned your nose up at him. At the time, he was 7, needed dressage basics re-installed because he had bad habits he'd never gotten over since the track which he still got away with eventing because of his movement, he gets good gait scores and was scoring in the low 30s and finishing on his dressage scores going Training. You probably would have thought he didn't have enough suspension or something, and that he didn't bring his knees up enough. He doesn't tend to bring his knees up a lot until around 4' - everything else is just easier and it's not necessary. Also, fixing the dressage work has improved his jumping form all the time because he uses his back end better. He certainly had upper level scope, too. However, he was likely to have trouble making time because his gallop... well, it looks like a dressage horse. Not exactly efficient.

My point is, I don't think you are being too picky - I think your priorities are a bit confused and conflicting. What are you looking for a horse to do? Pick the traits you want based on that.

(Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting "pretty" as long as you're looking for specific other traits, too. I no longer care about pretty even though I think my horse is gorgeous, but think if that's what you want there's nothing wrong with it.)

Dec. 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
What about looking at the recent YEH winners, or at least the farms they came from and their siblings?

Hilary
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:23 PM
The horse in the SHN ad is schooling 3rd level, has done 2 seasons of foxhunting (so he is not a fruitcake), he's competed at Novice (so you know he can go out on XC by himself). And he's easy enough for an amateur to ride.

That package, to me, is why he's priced where he is. Cheaper horses are cheaper for a reason. They are difficult somehow, or have a soundness issue, or haven't proven themselves. Someone's put some time into that guy.

I also agree with netg - the big dressage mover will probably not have much of a gallop for XC.

lizajane09
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have very recently been in a similar situation! I was looking for one a little bit greener (and less pricey), but also a quality prospect for the upper levels, ideally Advanced. I live just outside of Ocala, so, like you, expected there would be a lot of options, but just couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I ended up driving out to Jim Graham/David Adamo's farm in Alabama and actually found two that I really, really liked. I rode several while I was there and all were lovely young horses, but I really fell in love with those two. Jim and David were great to work with as well. It's definitely worth looking at their website, http://www.meadowrunfarm.com - I know it has been updated recently but they are also expecting to get a few new horses in around the New Year - or giving one of them a call. It might not be the area of the country you would expect, but I was overall very impressed with Jim and David, their facility, and the horses that they had for sale. Best of luck!

ThirdCharm
Dec. 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, if a horse schooling 2nd/3rd, evented Novice, foxihunted, and Ammy friendly isn't worth 30k, I can see why you're having difficulty finding something.

mustangsal85
Dec. 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
Phyllis Dawson always seems to have nice horses for sale, ranging from youngsters to more seasoned competitors. Look up Windchase and she has a whole sale page usually.

I have also seen a few horses on Boyd's page for sale (granted I am guessing they are in the $50000+ category but you never know) that look to be quite nice.

Windfall also has some nice progeny for sale here in the Midwest (look up New Spring Farm).

I would say looking for connections via BNT or BNR or making a trip to Aiken this winter would be helpful too.

sdlbredfan
Dec. 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
You need a Saddlebred. The ones that are built more 'forward-headed' but with the substantial build that comes from the five-gaited bloodlines are extremely well suited to eventing/jumping/dressage. You will get a lot of horse for the money, because very few Saddlebred breeders are even aware that there is another use for their product than the saddle seat show ring.

columbus
Dec. 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.ottercreekfarm.com/
I sold a very nice Irish Draught through Jenny Warner at Otter Creek. It is a great place to get a horse started eventing as well. PatO

mustangsal85
Dec. 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Adding to my above... there is a nice looking (albeit maybe a bit greener than what you are looking for but fancy nonetheless) KWPN at Boyd's right now:

http://www.boydandsilvamartin.com/Pages/boyd/Bacardi.html

Windchase looks to have a handful that may catch your eye.

http://teamwindchase.com/forsale.htm

NSF doesn't seem to have too many that seem to be what you are looking for but maybe I'm wrong:

http://www.newspringfarm.com/sales/index.html

Allison Springer is selling Burger..... guessing he is more than $50000 though :)

http://allisonspringer.com/for-sale/

Hope that helps! :) Good luck with your search!

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Dec. 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine purchased a gelding at this years November Verden auction, and she plans to event him a bit while he is young before he becomes a full time dressage horse. He certainly has all the quality you could want, and she got him for 22.000 euro. He has some jumping experience, but no eventing experience, however will be in full training at our Eventing/Dressage barn. Maybe you should consider importing a 5 or 6 year old and putting him in training for a few months to get some mileage.

tuppysmom
Dec. 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
The "Top Eventers" sale in Germany has some nice horses each year. Elmar Lesch seem to know where the event prospects hang out. They sell for reasonable prices too. The sale has concluded for this year, but it is likely that Elmar knows of a bunch more prospects.

SaddleFitterVA
Dec. 24, 2011, 08:20 AM
This farm takes OTTBs, that are thoroughly vetted before purchase, and retrains them, including extensive competing.

http://www.tebogosporthorses.com/

They have a nice program and seem to be producing some nice horses.

And, the TBs are pretty awesome for eventing IMO.

snoopy
Dec. 24, 2011, 09:20 AM
The horse prices in the US are crazy. You would be better to look in europe and even with flight home you will come out ahead. I know many who buy very nice horses in europe and as soon as they touch ground in the US they double in price and people are often willing to pay that price. Seems rather odd to me. Perhaps you are paying for the "privilege" of having a European horse. Of course, it is certainly possible to find something that suits your needs and budget in the US but you will have to look far and wide. Go to europe and there are plenty that will fit the bill and easy to see many in a short space of time. Until prices are set realistically in the states, people will continue to fly to europe to find their equine partner and leave the producers of quality horses either shaking their heads as to why nobody is willing to buy their horses or selling to those with unlimited funds. Either way they, they are limiting their market.

judybigredpony
Dec. 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
My Vet posted this to me..

http://www.retiredracehorseblog.com/2011/12/22/show-jumpings-wake-up-call/

Merle
Dec. 24, 2011, 01:15 PM
http://eventingnation.com/sporthorsenation/2011/12/lerryn-experience-in-dressage-eventing-and-foxhunting.html

I also really like this horse and think he is worth the money they are asking. Plus, you can always make an offer. Courtney is very nice to work with.

I ran across this horse (don't shoot me - he is a 2 year old colt) yesterday and only wish I had the money to buy him and time to bring him along. I think he is going to be an exceptional horse but time will tell. His jump is extravagant but with more experience, I bet he will be much tidier and expend less energy. I could be wrong but I think this is the type of horse you are looking for, only older and with more experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82woBBnk2Cw&feature=player_embedded

NoDQhere
Dec. 24, 2011, 04:13 PM
I don't believe all US horses are over priced. When you factor in the airfare and importation costs from Europe those horses get expensive pretty quickly.

We have a regular buyer who used to buy 90% of her client's horses in Europe. She says it these horses are easier to ride, are sounder and cost less.

My point? I doubt we are the only breeders with reasonably priced horses. You may just have to cast a wider net to shop in the US, but you also might find exactly what you are looking for.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
I ran across this horse (don't shoot me - he is a 2 year old colt) yesterday and only wish I had the money to buy him and time to bring him along. I think he is going to be an exceptional horse but time will tell. His jump is extravagant but with more experience, I bet he will be much tidier and expend less energy. I could be wrong but I think this is the type of horse you are looking for, only older and with more experience.

Okay, that colt is gorgeous. If only . . .

Bravestrom
Dec. 24, 2011, 08:52 PM

he certainly is - wow!!

JER
Dec. 24, 2011, 09:09 PM

he certainly is - wow!!

IMO -- not a future UL eventer. He has relatively little TB blood. His hocks trail behind him rather than reaching underneath. He's hard on his front end at all gaits, especially at the canter and gallop. Jumping, he lands heavy. And this is at age 2.

He'd probably be fine if you wanted to do jumpers and dressage and maybe event up to Prelim (maybe). If you want to do more than that -- which the OP says she does -- I wouldn't look at this one.

wookie
Dec. 25, 2011, 08:45 AM
i know you want one with experience but highpoint hanoverians in maryland has some exceptional prospects that are out of sinatra and rosenthal. read up on sinatra. he scored 8's on his jumping in his stallion test and won all sorts of things in europe. one of his offspring just won for the future event horse. it is listed on their website. sorry my brain is tired from work so the details are escaping me. i know they have some prospects that are tb/hanoverians out of bruce davidson's 4 star mare. the price is set correctly on these horses. contact larissa barilar/klaus schengber.

if i had the money, there are at least 5 that would be moving to my farm.

and talk about movement! unbelievable.

Adagio
Dec. 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
Several that might fit the bill

http://tennantsporthorses.com/horses-for-sale/

yellowbritches
Dec. 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
This farm takes OTTBs, that are thoroughly vetted before purchase, and retrains them, including extensive competing.

http://www.tebogosporthorses.com/

They have a nice program and seem to be producing some nice horses.

And, the TBs are pretty awesome for eventing IMO.

Toby came from Tebogo and he is the classiest horse I have ever owned and one of the classiest, most athletic horses I've ever had the privilege to sit on. However, I have a feeling that he may not have gotten a second glance from the OP because of their very particular desires. He is an above average mover, however, he isn't the most orthodox of jumpers- he is a GOOD jumper, just not a knees to eyeballs, over bascule type- (as he gets stronger and more broke, his form improves). Sad for the OP, because being so particular on things that have very little to do with a horse's athletisim will make a lot of incredible horses unattractive.

Tebogo has extremely nice horses that are given great starts into new careers. You couldn't ask for nicer, more genunine people to work with who are honest and realistic about their horses and what they will excel in. Some the coolest people I know. There are some fabulous horses there right now and they are reasonably priced.

Harold
Dec. 25, 2011, 05:56 PM
Toby came from Tebogo and he is the classiest horse I have ever owned and one of the classiest, most athletic horses I've ever had the privilege to sit on. However, I have a feeling that he may not have gotten a second glance from the OP because of their very particular desires. He is an above average mover, however, he isn't the most orthodox of jumpers- he is a GOOD jumper, just not a knees to eyeballs, over bascule type- (as he gets stronger and more broke, his form improves). Sad for the OP, because being so particular on things that have very little to do with a horse's athletisim will make a lot of incredible horses unattractive.

Tebogo has extremely nice horses that are given great starts into new careers. You couldn't ask for nicer, more genunine people to work with who are honest and realistic about their horses and what they will excel in. Some the coolest people I know. There are some fabulous horses there right now and they are reasonably priced.

Ditto this - and they have others that aren't yet on the website. You should see what's on the shelf!!:eek: They have the eye, skill, and patience to identify these athletes (many just off the track) and train them into their next careers. PLus the horses are all fully vetted with complete sets of radiographs before Tebogo purchases them. Since resale is the goal, they want no surprises on X rays which is great for the purchaser.

Foxdale Farm
Dec. 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
Sent you a PM about a 2007 mare by my stallion, Gatsby, who is owned and being sold by Darren Chiacchia, who says she is amazing. Good luck with your search!

www.foxdalefarm.us

RoundTheBend
Dec. 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
What about looking in the UK? there are so many like what you want that are ridicolously cheap!! Have a look on the horsequest UK website.

cadance
Dec. 26, 2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.plumcreekhollow.com/showhorses.html

www.warmbloods-for-sale.com has a lot of nice quality horses listed.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine purchased a gelding at this years November Verden auction, and she plans to event him a bit while he is young before he becomes a full time dressage horse. He certainly has all the quality you could want, and she got him for 22.000 euro. He has some jumping experience, but no eventing experience, however will be in full training at our Eventing/Dressage barn. Maybe you should consider importing a 5 or 6 year old and putting him in training for a few months to get some mileage.

22,000 Euros is close to $30,000 USD. Add another 10-15K to import and you are talking about importing a fancy moving green horse with no eventing experience for over 40K.

Sorry...but there are nice quality eventers here in the US for less than that.
But of course there are also nice horses everywhere. Just remember that you will have to add on quite of bit of expense to import...both cost of the horse, PPE and you going over there to look at them.

To the OP...you can find what you are looking for but it will be hard. Sorry to say but the good moving and jumps with their knees to their eyebals with a decent brain WILL be very expensive as they will be very marketable as a show or eq. horse more than an eventer. Most that I know that were like that...even though they were nice event horses...sold into the show world.

There are many well bred youngsters here in the US if you are going to look at younger stock....that have the same/similar breeding as the ones you are looking at in the auctions. But often...these horses (and really most nice prospects) are never posted online. They sell by word of mouth. You need to get out there talking to people and see what they know of.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
IMO -- not a future UL eventer. He has relatively little TB blood. His hocks trail behind him rather than reaching underneath. He's hard on his front end at all gaits, especially at the canter and gallop. Jumping, he lands heavy. And this is at age 2.

He'd probably be fine if you wanted to do jumpers and dressage and maybe event up to Prelim (maybe). If you want to do more than that -- which the OP says she does -- I wouldn't look at this one.

I'm such a victim of advertising . . .

poltroon
Dec. 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Are you sure you want a dressage mover with big bascule and to try to get to upper levels eventing? The problem there is you will have an awful lot of trouble making time.

My point is, I don't think you are being too picky - I think your priorities are a bit confused and conflicting. What are you looking for a horse to do? Pick the traits you want based on that.

I am having a hard time thinking of even a 3* or 4* horse that would meet the OP's requirements of big mover and fancy jumper. Going through my WEG photos, there aren't any pictures of a horse there jumping knees to eyeballs or even close.

txhorsetrainer
Dec. 26, 2011, 09:47 PM
[edit]

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:10 AM
22,000 Euros is close to $30,000 USD. Add another 10-15K to import and you are talking about importing a fancy moving green horse with no eventing experience for over 40K.

Sorry...but there are nice quality eventers here in the US for less than that.
But of course there are also nice horses everywhere. Just remember that you will have to add on quite of bit of expense to import...both cost of the horse, PPE and you going over there to look at them.

Well, I don't think she has to spend 22.000, this horse will eventually be UL dressage, and having seen it move, I think it is worth the price, for a dressage horse (and honestly, if it were my horse, I certainly would not event it). There were several quality horses that went for quite a bit less:
from 4.000 EUR to 7.999 EUR 7 horses
from 8.000 EUR to 10.999 EUR 13 horses
(Copied from the auction site)

I certainly don't think she has to import to get an incredible event horse, we have lots of those in the US. But if she wants something with super fancy movement/jump for a lower price, I do think she will come out better to import a young horse from Europe.

RunningwaterWBs
Dec. 27, 2011, 08:54 AM
I have one! At six months, she may be a bit young for the OP. ;) Super movement and good jumpers in the pedigree, though.

Timex
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
My question to the OP is, are you really looking to be competitive @ the upper levels? Or just get around? The lovely dressage-y canter and the knees-to-eyeballs show jumper jump is great to fantasize about, but I'm not sure how realistic it is for an eventer. It's rather counter-productive to have that sort of movement and that sort of hang time when speed is of the essence. And I'm not sure of the success of warmbloods at the higher levels....... But, whatever floats your boat. ;) But maybe what might expand your options is the idea of buying a prospect and investing the $$ difference in training and having a pro get a few events in for you?

magnolia73
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:02 AM
I would think a nice mover, with a great bascule, pretty jump and a warmblood is not going to be cheap because you are competing with hunter buyers and jumper buyers and dressage buyers. Throw in ammy friendly over 3'-3'6 and that horse is 6 figures to a hunter buyer.

If you can let go of one of those factors, you can probably find a lot in your price range.

purplnurpl
Dec. 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Kelli Temple has a couple nice ones up on her site (if that Watermill Time horse is still for sale, he is absolutely stunning in person): http://www.kellitempleeventing.com/horsesforsale.html
She also goes shopping abroad and could probably help you coordinate that if it's something you were interested in.

While I know it's a personal preference, it seems silly to me to write off a horse solely because he's "unattractive"- if he fits all your criteria, are you really saying you wouldn't buy him because he's ugly? No points for pretty in eventing, and you've set a lot of high standards on a limited budget in your criteria.

actually, you get points for pretty. :yes:
dressage is subjective and if you have two horses that would score the same usually the prettier horse will have a few brownie points for the awe factor.
I've ridden pretty and I've ridden common. The rides on the pretty horse were always spectacular and I was given freebees more than often. :D

That Watermill horse is pretty but the video of him in the dressage is not great. His movement is fairly poor.

Jillian Webster often has some nice horses for sale. Anyone have contact for her?

purplnurpl
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.goldchipstables.com/salehorses.html

I don't know price, but check out Figero and Master P. They fit your bill.

I've seen both at HTs and they are very nice.

mugsgame
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
IME and having worked for a 3* rider who does a lot of selling of horses - the knees and forelegs around their chin often means they are too careful for the higher levels.

Looking for a horse to go 2* now I will look for a horse who gets their knees high and uses their back but I am not so worried about what happens below the knees as find they get a better technique the higher the fences go and tend to be a little braver.

If you look at Sam as an example as probably the most complete eventer out there - he looks like he just does enough. He does not have the best front end technique but he does enough and the fences stay up and most importantly his knees are always out of the way for xc safety.

Brandy76
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know the name of the organization in central PA that does ottbs?

Racehorse network? I cannot remember.

Thanks!

purplnurpl
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
I would think a nice mover, with a great bascule, pretty jump and a warmblood is not going to be cheap because you are competing with hunter buyers and jumper buyers and dressage buyers. Throw in ammy friendly over 3'-3'6 and that horse is 6 figures to a hunter buyer.

If you can let go of one of those factors, you can probably find a lot in your price range.

this is correct. Though I think a lot of these horses are noticed as hunter prospects before they get to Training level.
It's a hard combo to find.
It's EXACTLY what I like to ride!! lol.
And low and behold, I sold mine into the show hunter world.

sarah88
Dec. 27, 2011, 12:53 PM
dressage is subjective and if you have two horses that would score the same usually the prettier horse will have a few brownie points for the awe factor.
I've ridden pretty and I've ridden common. The rides on the pretty horse were always spectacular and I was given freebees more than often. :D

That Watermill horse is pretty but the video of him in the dressage is not great. His movement is fairly poor.

Jillian Webster often has some nice horses for sale. Anyone have contact for her?

I believe the watermill time horse is already sold. she always has several top class youngsters available. look on the youtube channel and im sure there will be video of some...

babecakes
Dec. 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
an eventer with some experience that is an above-average mover (in case I just want to do dressage) and jumps like a quality showjumper with his knees up to his eyeballs. Ideally, I'd like something that has competed at training level at least ... Really, I just want a horse with upper-level potential.

I've found that most horses for sale in the U.S. typically are over-priced for their experience level.

I think that you guys are being way overly generous with your attempts to help this poster. Given the statements in the opening post I would have dismissed this as nonsense. Just like a previous thread where the poster couldn't find a prospect and all of you made quite a list of top drawer places to look. :eek:

No where does the OP mention the qualities that make up the heart and the mind of an upper level horse. The adherence to the criteria that the poster mentions, excusively, means that I wouldn't give it the time of day here. As mentioned, excessive movement and air time don't play into real ideals.

And it's overpriced at under 50K but has to have superior movement and jumps the moon, have a couple of yrs of competitve experience, and vets ???? The poster is only going to find a lower price where they DON'T want to look, at a real green bean who is not trained and competitive yet. Have you ever bred, raised and started one of these? Dream on.

Add: AND WHEN a poster does not answer questions or respond, then I write it off also.

gottagrey
Dec. 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know the name of the organization in central PA that does ottbs?

Racehorse network? I cannot remember.

Thanks!

Try mid-atlantic Canter - or Canter Mid-Atlantic - they rehab OTTB's

TheBarnSlave24/7
Dec. 27, 2011, 02:39 PM
Contact Andrea Leatherman-

http://andrealeatherman.com

She ALWAYS has nice youngster horses for sale. Email her, tell her what your looking for, and she will tell you if she has something worth looking at. Usually the ones going Training level that have the ability to do a ** are priced around 50K. (Neveah and Issac). Act quickly though, they are about to move up to Prelim! Then the prices go UP from there very quickly!

faybe
Dec. 27, 2011, 04:07 PM

Fair enough. My point was mostly that I don't care if the horse has knees up past his eyeballs if he's careful and clean xc, and I certainly wouldn't write off a good xc horse just because he lacked some of the "frills" the OP seems to want.

I haven't watched the youtube video of the Watermill Time horse but I did see him go in person and his movement was far from poor. He had "presence" in spades and looked like he had quite a bit of potential. Guess the point is moot though as it sounds like he's sold.

AlterEgoME
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:01 PM
Perhaps it's my hunter/jumper past coming back to haunt me, haha. Let me clarify, though - the horse doesn't have to be "pretty" per se, but it must be a good mover and a good jumper. Color, markings, etc. are of little concern to me. I am most concerned with finding a horse that has some experience, jumps correctly, and moves well enough to just be a dressage horse.

Watermill Time is a good example of the kind of horse I'm looking for. Benny de Ruiter in the Netherlands also has a number of horses that look promising.

Thanks so much for your input!

If you consider Watermill Time a good mover and a good jumper I don't think you should have any trouble finding a horse for under $50K. IMHO, he is an average at best in either category.

kookicat
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:13 PM
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1718224

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1741880

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1752608

Carol Ames
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
I feel that way after seeing your post:mad:; I had just such a horse; placed at Prelim priced under $20k which produced calls from 14 year olds whose ., trainers had told her to buy horses only through them; and adult eventers who, asked what was wrong with her:mad:; those horses are out there; keep looking; check tack store BBs; ask everyone you know; look in old issues of COTH; If those produce no prospects , consider asking a local eventer to look for you.

judybigredpony
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
I don't think OP was serious in the least , check OP's previous posts....

Carol Ames
Dec. 29, 2011, 07:13 PM
Are you prepared to spend the extra time/:o money it takes to find one overseas? and what about experience? It is difficult to correlate experience over there with that:no::sadsmile: here:o; importing performance horses is NOT for those watching the "bottom line:no:"

Carol Ames
Dec. 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
Are you prepared to spend the extra time/:o money it takes to find one overseas? and what about experience? It is difficult to correlate experience over there with that:no::sadsmile: here:o; importing performance horses is NOT for those watching the :eek:"bottom line:no:"

DevilsAdvocate
Dec. 29, 2011, 08:17 PM

shew I totally agree with this. He is stunning!

Eventingjunkie
Dec. 29, 2011, 10:47 PM
This one I saw on facebook looks interesting

Ryan Wood listed Imported Australian Sport horse winner at CIC ** in Australia. 12 yr old priced to sell 15k

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10150446695947592&set=vb.625362591&type=2&theater