PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Eventing Sire Rankings

FLIPPED HER HALO
Dec. 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
http://useventing.com/blog/?p=20262

Always enjoy reading these.

The World Breeding Federation for Sport Horses have released the sire rankings for 2011. In late autumn each year, the WBFSH sire rankings are produced in cooperation with the FEI. Based on the results of their offspring, each stallion is ranked in the WBFSH Stallion Rankings.

Heraldik xx, a black Thoroughbred stallion by Caramel xx out of Heraldika xx, was the top scoring sire of 2011 with his progeny earning 1093 points. His most successful offspring this year was Butts Leon who earned 196 points. Heraldik xx is also the grandsire of La Biosthetique Sam, the 2010 World Champion. Heraldik was born in the Czech Republic and competed in show jumping. He was licensed with almost every German studbook and was one of the most popular Thoroughbred sires for warmblood breeders. Heraldik xx died in 2005 at the age of 23, but he has multiple approved sons in Europe and the U.S.

Sitting in the second position on the sires list is another Thoroughbred, Master Imp, whose progeny scored 909 points and include Tiana Coudray’s Ringwood Magister as well as Karen O’Connor’s four-star partner, Mandiba. Master Imp passed away in 2009 at his farm in Ireland.

Crusing, a 16-year-old Irish Sport Horse, earned 770 points for the third spot on the rankings. One of his many notable offspring include Harbour Pilot who was ridden by Hannah Sue Burnett to a team gold and individual silver medals at the 2011 Pan American Games.

Rounding out the top ten are Jumbo (697), Cavalier Royale (683), Primitive Rising (628), Yarlands Summer Song (512), Kannan (496), Limmerick (462), and Cult Hero (450).

View the complete listings on the WBFSH Site (http://www.wbfsh.org/files/Eventing_-_Sire_ranking_-_progeny_2011.pdf)

retreadeventer
Dec. 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
Oh my, that is interesting. Scary -- in a few cases --, but interesting.

Toadie's mom
Dec. 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oh my, that is interesting. Scary -- in a few cases --, but interesting.
Ok I'll bite. What, or who, is scary:lol:

kkindley
Dec. 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
*sigh* top two are dead TB's. But all their progeny are listed as WB's. Wish we'd call a spade a spade.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
And this is JUST eventing sires? It seemed to be more of a sporthorse list, and a couple of those listed are big players in the dressage world.

Of course, I hardly have my finger on the pulse of the breeding world.

horsetales
Dec. 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
*sigh* top two are dead TB's. But all their progeny are listed as WB's. Wish we'd call a spade a spade.

:confused: Master Imp offspring are listed as ISH which all or most offspring are TB x Irish (draught or Draught sport horse) cross's. Why do you feel his offspring are mislabeled?

JER
Dec. 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
*sigh* top two are dead TB's. But all their progeny are listed as WB's.

No, they're not.

The column heading is 'studbook'. The designation is as to which studbook the horse belongs.

This really isn't an attempt to marginalize TBs. The WBFSH is a consortium of studbooks.

:)

poltroon
Dec. 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
The real problem for all of us is that we don't know how good they are until they're dead.

kkindley
Dec. 21, 2011, 09:16 PM
No, they're not.

The column heading is 'studbook'. The designation is as to which studbook the horse belongs.

This really isn't an attempt to marginalize TBs. The WBFSH is a consortium of studbooks.

:)

ah! Thank you for clarifying! I'm not saavy on breeding stuff. Just expected to see TB at least once, so was confused.

mugsgame
Dec. 22, 2011, 06:21 AM
British Eventing has updated their stallion info as well based on horses running in the UK.

The BE one is good because you can look at the changing pattens over several years from 2007.

If you want a clearer idea of what stallions are up and coming the 6yo and 7yo sires list is always pretty good though it can be a little more irregular with one really good horse making up a lot of the points. The WBFSH one is perhaps slightly more stable as International and based on FEI.

Chilli Morning is a stallion who is really doing well and went very well round Burghley. He is pure TB so it will be interesting to see his progeny under saddle as some of them should be old enough now and some very good mares have been used. He is currently top of the BE competing stallions list.

Glenhill Gold is another to watch as has nice talented progeny under saddle and he has won at 3*.

mustangsal85
Dec. 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
And this is JUST eventing sires? It seemed to be more of a sporthorse list, and a couple of those listed are big players in the dressage world.

Of course, I hardly have my finger on the pulse of the breeding world.

I think it's just a general sporthorse stud list.. Contender is on there and I always associate him with show jumping but I could be wrong, I know next to nothing!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 22, 2011, 04:35 PM
Chilli Morning is a stallion who is really doing well and went very well round Burghley. He is pure TB so it will be interesting to see his progeny under saddle as some of them should be old enough now and some very good mares have been used. He is currently top of the BE competing stallions list.

He isn't pure TB but does have a lot of blood. His pedigree is here

http://www.horsetelex.com/pedigree.php?horseid=624223

Fred
Dec. 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if Heraldik semen is available in NA? Primitive Rising?

IronwoodFarm
Dec. 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
As a breeder, I also think it is important to appreciate that a sire is only PART of the equation. You need a quality mare (believe me, stallions can improve only so much) and you need good training. In fact, the human element is critical.

Peregrine Farm
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know if Heraldik semen is available in NA? Primitive Rising?

Since no-one responded to this, I think the answer is no and no, unless you have a specific connection -- I don't know personally, but my guess is that someone out there probably still has frozen from both stallions, but they are not parting with it.

Both stallions are deceased, and the marketing is now pointed towards their sons. Louella Stud in England, who stood Primitive Rising, now stands three of his sons -- two full TBs, one Tb/Irish Draught cross: http://www.louellastud.co.uk/stallions

As far as I know, there are three Heraldik sons still intact, none of whom are pure TBs: Herald 3 (Holsteiner, not standing in 2012, according to posts on this BB), Hunter (Holsteiner, standing on the west coast), and Hyperion (Hanoverian, available frozen through Mariposa Sport Horses). There may be others about which I am not aware.

Bravestrom
Dec. 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
we have a beautiful great granddaughter of primitive rising - out of a catherston liberator mare we are really excited about. so cool that he is on the list

Fred
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
Since no-one responded to this, I think the answer is no and no, unless you have a specific connection -- I don't know personally, but my guess is that someone out there probably still has frozen from both stallions, but they are not parting with it.

Both stallions are deceased, and the marketing is now pointed towards their sons. Louella Stud in England, who stood Primitive Rising, now stands three of his sons -- two full TBs, one Tb/Irish Draught cross: http://www.louellastud.co.uk/stallions

As far as I know, there are three Heraldik sons still intact, none of whom are pure TBs: Herald 3 (Holsteiner, not standing in 2012, according to posts on this BB), Hunter (Holsteiner, standing on the west coast), and Hyperion (Hanoverian, available frozen through Mariposa Sport Horses). There may be others about which I am not aware.

Thank you Peregrine. I appreciate that information.

Fred
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:47 PM
we have a beautiful great granddaughter of primitive rising - out of a catherston liberator mare we are really excited about. so cool that he is on the list

lucky you, Bravestrom! -I looked on your webpage, which one is she?

cadance
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
How do the USEF rankings stack up to the WBFSH? I just happened to catch a glimpse of an article the other day that named Riverman as the #1 USEF eventing sire for 2011.